Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet FC 2013-2014 season - chat, rumours, reports

Interesting Vornstyle.

Through the DHST, we need to get organised and decide what our aims are and how we can best help achieve a secure future for the club in or around Champion Hill. Plan A I suppose is to preserve the ground as is and move the club onto a more sustaianable footing. But I sense this position will be difficult to deliver. The plan B would be a new ground in Greendale, itself far preferable to a slow Fisher-like death, where we're eased out of Champion Hill onto the road. If a Greendale move allowed the club to move into different ownership (a CIC isn't a bad idea at all) and onto a securer financial footing then imv that would be a good outcome.

Big "if" though.

Whenever the issue of building houses in that area has come up before, there has been a huge negative reaction from locals, usually about parking, traffic etc. And this has translated into opposition from local councillors. Worth noting that one of the local councillors for the ward the Hamlet sits within is head of the council Peter John.

Hadley will know they have their work cut out getting anything built on the site because of opposition from locals and they won't want to fight on two fronts with the supporters too. So there is some leverage with Hadley. I walk my dog on Greendale sometimes and it is a waste land which is barely used. Baseing a stadium on or about the all weather pitch, allied with a plan to enhance the area surrounding it (so eg to turn it into a park or community greenspace) might help swing locals and the council behind the idea, particualrly if the new ground could include other facilities for community use.

So there's a lot to negotiate for. But the question is who is in a position to negotiate. As a first step, a fan takeover of the club is needed so the yahoos who currently run it can be eased out of the picture. And then the real fun can start.

I've added the following to the earlier post after someone got in touch about a benefit of Asset of Community Value listings I had missed:

"EDIT: The ACV is also taken into account when planning permission is decided, therefore making development on the ground more difficult - another reason why the developer would want to get rid of it"

If were concerned about where the money goes
Maybe the gate receipts held by the Trust or 12th man

where do they go presently ?

Sure this is totally impracticable - but until we have agreed strategy will go tilting at windmills

Dulwich Hamlet FC is turning into a Shakespearean play

I ve followed Dulwich hamlet for 40 years, but what was on offer was less than pleasing to the eye
finally fell in love with them this season

We go top of the League

then behind the scenes some dodgy businessmen try to out wit each other , the club, fans and public to win a fortune from building luxury flats for the rich

And maybe they are engineering a crisis re electricity and gas payments or maybe its just pure incompetence.

I am just too dam young to become yet another Nunhead FC (dead club) fan

great win tonight, back to the top of the league, really good to see Wealdstone dropping points by drawing away at Lowestoft too.

Jealous again of all you away fans that went to cheer on the lads, whilst I'm stuck at home clearing up puke, singing Hamlet songs to the baby and continually refreshing the Isthmian live scores page :D

Game on my pink & blue brothers & sisters, IT'S ON!!

Agree with Taper. First move has to be getting the current powers out of DHFC. We need people who actaully have a genuine interest in DHFC running the club. Only then will we see just how much shit we're in and more importantly, we'll be able to start negotiating with Hadleys and the Council.

As a particular insurance meetkat would say, 'Simples!'

Anyone know when the next DHST meeting is then? I'm a member but I've not heard anything. Now seems to be the time - strike while the iron's hot and all that.

I prob won't be able to make it Saturday so can someone ask one of the DHST comrades please?

I would agree that we need to strike while the iron is hot, we just need to be careful who we're striking...

It seems to me that co-operation with Hadleys is the only way we can survive.

Damn! I wish I'd been there. Can someone please send me a few words from maybe some photos so I can spread the love?

Nearly didn't make it thanks to a swan on the line, started pondering Clapton as a plan b, but we got there only a minute late and it was damn good fun. Singing, dancing, toplessness, goals.
Damn! I wish I'd been there. Can someone please send me a few words from maybe some photos so I can spread the love?
I kinda fucked up, only taking one photo of some light bulbs. Will write up something in the morning about the debauched royal privilege enjoyed by swans.

Anyone know when the next DHST meeting is then? I'm a member but I've not heard anything. Now seems to be the time - strike while the iron's hot and all that.
I asked Mark a few days ago, they're working on an open meeting within two weeks with representatives of Hadley.

editor, since I didn't take any photos of the game last night I thought I'd make this artist's impression of the East London bastard swan that brought the District Line to a standstill and nearly stopped some of us taking in this fantastic exhibition of football:

Last edited:
editor, some words:

With a mini-bus cancellation, Fenchurch Street station being closed due to signal failure and the District Line running slow thanks to a swan settling down between Bromley-by-Bow and West Ham (fashionable East London's avian gentrification) this was a difficult away trip, but a healthy Rabble turnout got down to East Thurrock's Rookery Hill ground to watch Dulwich Hamlet dominate and come home with a vital 3 points in the 5½ horse race for the Isthmian championship.

A Nyren Clunis tap-in opened the scoring, the young home goalkeeper's confidence visibly draining. Shortly afterwards a Erhun Oztumer penalty (top corner, no problem) made things comfortable before a lunge at Erhun reduced East Thurrock to ten men. Job done you'd think, but a deflected shot past returning hero Chico Ramos made it 2-1, sparking memories of similar away scares this season. But Dulwich carried on dominating.

Early in the second half Erhun broke through, rounded the onrushing keeper and without breaking stride fired in past two defenders from a tight angle. Serious quality. It's rare even at the top level of football to see such composure, nevermind in non-league football, but the playmaker from Greenwich-via-Turkey has that ability. It's awestriking to watch.

East Thurrock managed to get themselves a penalty, superbly saved by Chico, which only served to intensify our joyously howled overlapping chanting of his name. As the emergency goalie who won the championship with the Hamlet last season we're already in love with him, but that threatens to mutate into limerence this time.

Dulwich kept attacking. The Rabble kept singing. Thanks to the uncertainty about the club swirling round behind the scenes I could detect a certain elderly-widower-gives-cocaine-a-try morbidly indignant party atmosphere. Game settled, freezing cold, but we pogoed around, twirling our scarves, tearing shirts off. The football a temporary escapism from the football.

In injury time Erhun was presented a chance to complete his hat-trick with a second penalty. Again, boomed into the top-corner. 4-1 to the Hamlet. Top of the league!

As we made our way out of the bar to get home we passed manager Gavin Rose. I shyly mumbled some gratitude for "another fine exhibition of football". He looked at me with a mixture of charm and contempt. "You reckon?!" Cruel taskmaster!

Last edited:
so which teams have experienced similar to the problems that the hamlet are facing, but have come through it successfully?

we should contact those involved in the campaign and ask for advice.
Hitchin Town, who play at the same level as us in the Southern League, are in the midst of a potential move due to a Tesco development and some fans have started a campaign to save the current ground: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-Top-Field-Campaign-Hitchin

Sorry, this page isn't available
The link you followed may be broken, or the page may have been removed.

hmmmm. will look into it!

Back
Top Bottom