Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet FC 2013-2014 season - chat, rumours, reports

Just been reminded that in the past couple of weeks I've had two people come up to me upon spotting my pink & blue scarf to say people in Newcastle and Leeds are aware of our reputation as loud, boisterous fans.... which is weird.
I think that article should be shared more widely. have you a contact email so I can ask if it's OK to republish on Brixton Buzz?
It's Mishi, you could message him on fb. Incidentally, via Mishi's wall, I've only realised right now is the first time we've been top of the Isthmian League since 1978!

Kingstonian v Maidstone today means we'll lose top spot I think :(
My second-hand understanding of matters is that Maidstone will be discounted when the automatic promotion and play-off places are awarded because of the 3G pitch issue, so whilst they'd lead the Isthmian League if they won they wouldn't lead the race for the promotion spot. A bit scabby I admit. I briefly considered going to that game but then remembered I'm banned from the ground.

Last edited:
I think that article should be shared more widely. have you a contact email so I can ask if it's OK to republish on Brixton Buzz?

It's a comment on a public unofficial messageboard. it's therefore in the public domain...you don't need my permission! (The only thing I'm 'precious about', if shared, wanting people to have the decency to have the manners to ask permission are photos & poetry! ;-)

Just note that I speak in my individual 'lifelong Hamlet fan' hat NOT as a Club official!

Last edited:
My second-hand understanding of matters is that Maidstone will be discounted when the automatic promotion and play-off places are awarded because of the 3G pitch issue, so whilst they'd lead the Isthmian League if they won they wouldn't lead the race for the promotion spot.
If Maidstone finished top, couldn't they agree to play somewhere else (on grass) until they changed their pitch back to grass (if that's what they wanted to do)? I seem to remember there is a cut off point (of 1 June or 1 July) or something to have your ground ready for the following season. Might be wrong though.

If Maidstone finished top, couldn't they agree to play somewhere else (on grass) until they changed their pitch back to grass (if that's what they wanted to do)? I seem to remember there is a cut off point (of 1 June or 1 July) or something to have your ground ready for the following season. Might be wrong though.

They might not be able to - as I understand it they're bringing in quite a bit of extra income from use of the artificial pitch.

It's a comment on a public unofficial messageboard. it's therefore in the public domain...you don't need my permission! (The only thing I'm 'precious about', if shared, wanting people to have the decency to have the manners to ask permission are photos & poetry! ;-)

Just note that I speak in my individual 'lifelong Hamlet fna' hat NOT as a Club official!
That's great. What name do you want to me to credit the piece to?

It strikes me that the supporters trust need to do two things

1) Take over or get a controlling interest in the club.
2) Find somewhere else for us to play, whether that is Greendales or not.

It strikes me that the supporters trust need to do two things

1) Take over or get a controlling interest in the club.
2) Find somewhere else for us to play, whether that is Greendales or not.

There are a few 'slight' things wrong with this statement.

Firstly, the Trust do NOT want to take over the Club, or have a controlling interest, even if they had the money to so. At it stands the owner of Dulwich Hamlet Football Club Limited owns over 99 per cent of the total shareholdings, at a guess. May 'only' be 98% or even 97%, but you get my drift. I understand he recently offered the Trust the opportunity to buy shares at £1 each, which is their original issue value. Quite rightly, they did not take him up on this. However, I also understand they did not even get back to him to offer something else, as a starting figure for negotiations, which I believe they should have done, offering him a token penny a share. Even then they have about £25, 000 in their 'war chest', which really wouldn't go far.

Secondly, Find somewhere else to play, whether Greendales or not. First of all how can they find us Greendales to play on? If this were an option, which I hope it is, hand in hand with property being built on on the current Chanpion Hill, then we will have a new ground built for us, no need for Trust intervention. If you mean somewhere else to play, as in a groundshare, the Club would-in effect have to go amateur, and not pay the players, as every penny raised would go on ground hire, of another local(ish) club, where we could groundshare that has a grading, with any money raised through much reduced crowds as a result of not playing at our own ground in Dulwich, going simply to keep the Club in existence.

Last edited:

I know they could rip up their pitch and lay a grass one, but that would negate their income, and also I assume they would have to pay back a lot of grant money from various sources from which they funding their new ground.
It must be bitterly disappointing for them, but not something they did not expect to hit. I am all in favour in clubs being allowed the new modern all-weather surfaces like at the Gallagher Stadium, all the way through football, right up to the Premiership!
They will be allowed to eventually, but how long, or slow, progress is..who knows?
If we were to ever get a new ground I would certainly support one of these modern artificial pitches...and if my six numbers come up in the Lottery tonight we WILL have one next season! ;-)

There are a few 'slight' things wrong with this statement.

Firstly, the Trust do NOT want to take over the Club, or have a controlling interest, even if they had the money to so. At it stands the owner of Dulwich Hamlet Football Club Limited owns over 99 per cent of the total shareholdings, at a guess. May 'only' be 98% or even 97%, but you get my drift. I understand he recently offered the Trust the opportunity to buy shares at £1 each, which is their original issue value. Quite rightly, they did not take him up on this. However, I also understand they did not even get back to him to offer something else, as a starting figure for negotiations, which I believe they should have done, offering him a tocken penny a share. Even they they have about £25, 000 in their 'war chest', which really wouldn't go far.
Hang on a sec, the blurb for the trust says "An independent, democratic, not for profit organisation aiming to secure a successful and sustainable future for Dulwich Hamlet Football Club by increasing supporter involvement in its running." How are they going to do that without a share in the limited company?.
Secondly, Find somewhere else to play, whether Greendales or not. First of all how can they find us Greendales to play on? If this were an option, which I hope it is, hand in hand with property being built on on the current Chanpion Hill, then we will have a new ground built for us, no need for Trust intervention. If you mean somewhere else to play, as in a groundshare, the Club would-in effect have to go amateur, and not pay the players, as every penny raised would go on ground hire, of another local(ish) club, where we could groundshare that has a grading, with any money raised through much reduced crowds as a result of not playing at our own ground in Dulwich, going simply to keep the Club in existence.

It's all very easy to call for Supporters to take over, but it's very difficult to actually happen.
So what should the supporters trust do them?. Just monitor the situation and not get involved in the club or the ground?

I'd think the first thing they should do is push for more transparency. It's impossible to say what they should ultimately aim for when the situation is so opaque. Maybe entering into negotiations with the owner would at least get a look at the books (maybe not, I don't know).

We've come a long way over the past decade:

October 2004

BfaPn7KCQAEwXFq.jpg

January 2014

7.jpg

HUGE respect to the dedicated Rabble crowd that kept things going through some very, very lean times. I truly hope that they are enjoying every single second of watching Dulwich right now, despite the off the field crap. These are the real heroes of the club.

To be fair
Hang on a sec, the blurb for the trust says "An independent, democratic, not for profit organisation aiming to secure a successful and sustainable future for Dulwich Hamlet Football Club by increasing supporter involvement in its running." How are they going to do that without a share in the limited company?.

So what should the supporters trust do them?. Just monitor the situation and not get involved in the club or the ground?

To be fair, I only offer my own opinions and take on things. The Trust may publically decideto say something different. I certainly can't answer for them. I am not involved in the Trust, merely an individual member of it.

I'd think the first thing they should do is push for more transparency. It's impossible to say what they should ultimately aim for when the situation is so opaque. Maybe entering into negotiations with the owner would at least get a look at the books (maybe not, I don't know).

Like all walks of 'dodgy' business life, there's books and there's 'books', if you get my drift. The accounts of Dulwich Hamlet Football Club Limited to Companies House, I believe, and sent to the Football Association, and all all 'above board' with regard to the laws of the land.

Read into that what you will....but I would guess we don't differ from the vast majority of football clubs in that...

It's a shitty piece of wasteland behind the plastic pitches, no-one goes there and obviously not too many people know about it except the local nimbies as this is the second time the question has been asked.

For the avoidance of doubt, this is Greendale

b4OeFaR.jpg

Sainsbury's in the middle at the top, Champion Hill field of dreams just below, training pitches and Greendale to the left.

Moving to an unused site 200 yards away sounds perfectly acceptable, if totally pointless.
I thought that when the previous redevelopment proposal in conjunction with Sainsbury's Homebase came up in 1999. (Ultimately rejected by Southwark Council two and a half years later, even though their own Planning Officer recommended they approve it.) At that time we still had more than a decade on our lease so Homebase had to accommodate us elsewhere to get their hands on the site. King's College London owned the present ground at the time and I think part of the deal was that Southwark Council would sell Greendales to the developers and we would get the freehold of the new ground there.

I often wonder what motivate the nimbys and professional complainers who oppose developments like this. Greendales is inaccessible and serves no useful purpose, other than being a green space in an inner city area as opposed to a lump of brick or concrete, or something generating some form of pollution. Very few people go there or can even see it from their homes. I'll bet a lot of the epople who opposed that previous development have never set eyes on the place since. We could have built our ground and been playing there for over a decade and they'd be none the wiser. It wouldn't have had any adverse effect on their own quality of life whatsoever.

I'm looking at a train to Stanford le Hope from Fenchurch St (50m) and then a jaunty walk.

View attachment 47537
The distance isn't a problem, but it's not a nice walk. (I've done it for two previous visits, both on Saturdays during British Summer Time, and it takes about half an hour.) Can't remember whether all the roads are lit or not. I can't make it on Tuesday, but personally I'd make use of the bus, although the service becomes less frequant after the game, meaning you'd be hanging around for the best part of an hour:

http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/ess...100X/100&routeid=9025871&operator=8&source=sp

Looking again at that bus timetable, going via train to Basildon would give a better bus connection for the return journey, assuming the train times are favourable.

Last edited:
For the avoidance of doubt, this is Greendale

b4OeFaR.jpg

Sainsbury's in the middle at the top, Champion Hill field of dreams just below, training pitches and Greendale to the left.

Thanks Hatter I thought someone mentioned penge, didnt expect it to be next door. Why dont they just build their flats on Greendales and leave the pitch where it is <it would be the same outcome really. <Rhetorical question

Thanks Hatter I thought someone mentioned penge, didnt expect it to be next door. Why dont they just build their flats on Greendales and leave the pitch where it is <it would be the same outcome really. <Rhetorical question
Yep, I thought the same thing myself!

With the current status, I can't see Southwark letting them build houses on Greendale, so why would building a stadium be allowed?

Back
Top Bottom