Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet FC 2013-2014 season - chat, rumours, reports

Now that the Hornchurch game is off, the crucial question is: who's going to East Thurrock on Tuesday? I believe a minibus is being put on from Champion Hill for a tenner return. It leaves at 5pm and that doesn't leave me enough time to get there after work but the public transport option is feasible. Trains take less than an hour from Fenchurch Street to Stanford-le-Hope with a short bus journey at the end. The last train back is after 11. We can do it! East Thurrock are 4th bottom, we should be able to give them a good seeing to.

I should say that if you can do the minibus, then do. I know that Shaun puts these on at his own personal expense and if they do not fill up, he loses money.

Did we ever own the ground in the first place? I.e. before the Sainsburys was built in the early 90s?

Agreeing to a 20 year lease must have sounded good at the time, but now….. :(

I believe DHFC owned it, but sold it off to Office Cleaning Services Ltd (now OCS, sponsors of the Vauxhall End stand at The Oval) in the early 70's to clear debts. The company's board of directors was dominated by ex-Hamlet players from the pre-War era with a genuine interest in the club, so it probably seemed like a good idea at the time, but obviously they all retired or passed away, then OCS sold the lease on to King's College London, who in turn sold it to the mysterious DHPD a few years back.

I feel we need more clarity on the whole situation as it's all Chinese whispers and doomsday scenarios at the moment. We've got three times as many supporters as four years ago - there must be a good chance that a few of them may have the knowledge, contacts, professional expertise or whatever to be able to help. But unless we know exactly what needs to be done, or what we're fighting against, there's not much chance of any progress.

It seems absurd to me that Southwark Council effectively approved the building of a Homebase on the site of our current ground in 2002, but is determined to preseve the scruffy piece of redundant open space that is Greendales. DHFC has become a vibrant component in the community fo East Dulwich and beyond in recent years and it would do no one other than a minority with various vested interests any favours to wipe it out now. Considering how Southwark Council has helped Fisher return to a site in their spiritual heartland the least hey can do is help ensure our club's survival at Champion Hill.

Where the hell is Greendales? It has a name so vague as to make it basically ungoogleable unless you know what you're looking for.

Can't make it to East Thurrock.

Where the hell is Greendales? It has a name so vague as to make it basically ungoogleable unless you know what you're looking for

It's over the other side of the ground from the Sainsburys. Really not far away at all but not very accessible and not clear what it is - I had thought it probably belonged to one of the posh schools.

ETA: Had my bearings slightly wrong, it's actually behind the goal end furthest from the entrance.

Where the hell is Greendales? It has a name so vague as to make it basically ungoogleable unless you know what you're looking for.
Just look on Google Maps. Greendale Playing Fields are immediately to the SW of the existing ground.

It's over the other side of the ground from the Sainsburys. Really not far away at all but not very accessible and not clear what it is - I had thought it probably belonged to one of the posh schools.

ETA: Had my bearings slightly wrong, it's actually behind the goal end furthest from the entrance.

The whole area historically known as Greendales is divided amongst several different uses, including school playing fields, but the bit we're talking about as a potential site for a ground is the open land beyond the far end of the current ground and astroturf pitch. The gournd we ussed from approximately 1913-1931 was on essentially the same site and remnants of old terracing are still there at the north side near the tennis courts, which was behind one goal. It's not very accessible at the moment - I haven't been there for years and the last time you could only get in through a hole in the fence on Green Dale (a pedestrain/cycle path) - but the previous redevelopment proposals thrown out in 2002 would have included proper access via Green Dale as well as Dog kennel Hill (passing the proposed Homebase). Map here:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?...le,+London,+SE22&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

Ta, couldn't find it on GMaps for some reason.

Moving to an unused site 200 yards away sounds perfectly acceptable, if totally pointless. I think the Chinese whispers and doomsday scenarios come exactly from the lack of information floating around: no news seems unlikely to be good news.

Apparently the East Thurrock v Hampton and Richmond game this Saturday has been called off due to a water logged pitch.....so Tuesdays game may also be doubtful.

Apparently the East Thurrock v Hampton and Richmond game this Saturday has been called off due to a water logged pitch.....so Tuesdays game may also be doubtful.

I think that one was meant to be at H & R but their home game against Maidstone on the Tuesday just gone was postponed for the same reason.

I think that one was meant to be at H & R but their home game against Maidstone on the Tuesday just gone was postponed for the same reason.
Yep, your right, I mis read that. So hopefully East Thurrock will be on! though it looks a right pig to get to. :)

I'm thinking it would be quickest to get the train to Chafford Hundred right next to Lakeside shopping centre.

>duff info removed :oops: >

Attachments

• dellll.jpg
    dellll.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 12
  • dll.jpg
    dll.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
To be sung after we score, to the tune of MJs 'Smooth Criminal':

'Keeper are you OK?
Keeper are you OK?
Are you OK Keeper?
Keeper are you OK?
Keeper are you OK?
Are you OK keeper?
Keeper are you OK?
Keeper are you OK?
Are you OK keeper?
You've been hit by,
You've been struck by,
A smooth Gavin Rose!

well disappointed about the game being off....anyone fancy the pub on Saturday instead.... if we cant watch them we can at least talk about them....especially if anyone's keen to try and get more involved and try find out what's going on in the future etc..... and whatever else we type about...

It seems absurd to me that Southwark Council effectively approved the building of a Homebase on the site of our current ground in 2002, but is determined to preseve the scruffy piece of redundant open space that is Greendales.
As far as I can tell Southwark wouldn't give that permission now. There's a pressure group called Keep Greendale Green ready to spring into action and it has some councillors on side, one of whom has described building on the ground as "a domino effect", so even the developer's primary aim looks likely to set off a long struggle. It's not impossible that the Champion Hill stadium would remained untouched for years but with the club unable to play in it... even longer if the property market slowed or crashed after Help To Buy funding was withdrawn in 2016.

well disappointed about the game being off....anyone fancy the pub on Saturday instead.... if we cant watch them we can at least talk about them....especially if anyone's keen to try and get more involved and try find out what's going on in the future etc..... and whatever else we type about...
I'm in-between nightshifts tomorrow, but could come along early evening if this happens (not waking up at midday if they ain't a match!).

Back
Top Bottom