Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet FC 2013-2014 season - chat, rumours, reports

Just discovered the guy who sits across from me at work lives in West Dulwich, and he definitely has enough of a passing interest in football to join in with the mandatory tedious office banter, without coming across as awful. Instigating Operation Hamlet Convert.

Obviously I'm trying to achieve this without it looking like I'm trying to sign him up to a cult (which is exactly how I view it) and, to make things more interesting, this is a temp job and my last day in the office is tomorrow*. We're running against the clock and I'm willing to consider all suggestions. This is like 24, if 24 was a show that appealed to me whatsoever.

So far, all I've come up with is mentioning Dulwich Hamlet periodically for the next seven hours and then, at the end of the day, produce a dashing pink scarf from my bag, swing it over my shoulder (ala DI Homer Simpson), give him a cheeky wink and then walk out door chanting "DULWICH HAMLET UBER ALLES". Will this work?

*Woo, cheap UB40 rates at Champion Hill!

To the tune of Spandau Ballet's 'True'

Huh huh huh hu-uh huh you know we're pink and blue
Huh huh huh hu-uh huh you know we're pink and... Blue! Oh we're pink and blue... etc

Sorry.

Reactions: SDE
Just discovered the guy who sits across from me at work lives in West Dulwich, and he definitely has enough of a passing interest in football to join in with the mandatory tedious office banter, without coming across as awful. Instigating Operation Hamlet Convert.

Obviously I'm trying to achieve this without it looking like I'm trying to sign him up to a cult (which is exactly how I view it) and, to make things more interesting, this is a temp job and my last day in the office is tomorrow*. We're running against the clock and I'm willing to consider all suggestions. This is like 24, if 24 was a show that appealed to me whatsoever.

So far, all I've come up with is mentioning Dulwich Hamlet periodically for the next seven hours and then, at the end of the day, produce a dashing pink scarf from my bag, swing it over my shoulder (ala DI Homer Simpson), give him a cheeky wink and then walk out door chanting "DULWICH HAMLET UBER ALLES". Will this work?

*Woo, cheap UB40 rates at Champion Hill!

I like to play a game at work and with other friends where I see if I can link every conversation back to Dulwich Hamlet.....

This is brilliant. I've had at least 2 work colleagues ask after my dashing pink and blue neck attire. A further three will be joining me for the Thamesmead game on the 11th.

Also - how do we feel about adding the standard European chant to the repertoire? I first heard it in 2006 from an Ajax season-ticket-holding uni mate and now it's bloody everywhere, apart (for some reason) from England.

Simply - JAAAAAA LAAAAA LAAAA LAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, JA JA JA LA LA LAAAAAAAAAAAA sang to the tune of the last 30secs of Crocodile Rock (but obviously in much deeper voice and slower-paced)

No rain in Hornchurch on Saturday: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/6690863

Anyone up for meeting beforehand?

*EDIT* - Not looking too good at the moment - https://twitter.com/AFCHornchurch/status/428866157488009216

Heading to Hornchurch with sankara after breakfast at the phoenix in Brixton. Meeting at the phoenix at 11.30 so prob head down on the tube about 12ish and have a few pints before hand... anyones welcome to join...

That seems like a very early pitch inspection - 32 hours before kick off?

yeah don't really get that - fingers crossed...

"The Brixton Hipsters displaying their unLondoness with the explanation for the Fig song....it got corrupted from wig overtime, cor blimey govnur don't they know it was already cockney for a wig? Syrup (fig)"

"The Brixton Hipsters displaying their unLondoness with the explanation for the Fig song....it got corrupted from wig overtime, cor blimey govnur don't they know it was already cockney for a wig? Syrup (fig)"

God damn hipsters and their tenuous grasp of cockney rhyming slang

I'm going to do a bit more other-forum-watching and post something from the DHFC Fans Forum:

http://forums.footballwebpages.co.uk/forum.jsp?id=264&article=2336

The club's exit from Champion Hill is imminent and there are a lot of us that care deeply about the future.

Some interesting points - I agree that we should be, as a collective, a lot more vociferous than we are. I would rather be involved in the fight against the developers than have to take on Southwark Council. Southwark, in my experience of dealing with them, are much like Julia Davis' character in this sketch:

Mishi (I think) puts forward an interesting rebuttal here:

http://forums.footballwebpages.co.uk/forum.jsp?id=264&article=2339

BfOjf33CcAEcZbq.jpg

Eeek!

I'm going to do a bit more other-forum-watching and post something from the DHFC Fans Forum:

http://forums.footballwebpages.co.uk/forum.jsp?id=264&article=2336

The club's exit from Champion Hill is imminent and there are a lot of us that care deeply about the future.

Some interesting points - I agree that we should be, as a collective, a lot more vociferous than we are. I would rather be involved in the fight against the developers than have to take on Southwark Council. Southwark, in my experience of dealing with them, are much like Julia Davis' character in this sketch:

Mishi (I think) puts forward an interesting rebuttal here:

http://forums.footballwebpages.co.uk/forum.jsp?id=264&article=2339

I think both comments are essentially right. I'd be amazed if Southwark Council allowed a stadium on the Metropolitan Open Land of Greendales. This has already been defeated before, there's local organised opposition (you know the sort, irritatingly well-versed nimbys) and now apparently even council leader Peter "I Love Expensive New York Skyscrapers" John is converted to stopping development there. The developer is almost definitely lying through their teeth and treating us like fucking mugs. However, since the only leverage we have is the six month 'Right To Bid' window offered by the Asset of Community Value listing (and nowhere near enough money to do so) we're kinda fucked anyway.

Even if the developer somehow got permission for a ground on Greendales it would be built after so many years of consultation and appeals (if by then they hadn't wiggled out of building it), our fanbase would have shrivelled up playing for years in Mordern at T&M's (admittedly charmingly lower league European style) ground.

Absolutely hilarious timing all this since the club is playing the best football in the whole non-league and attendances are rising massively (the mooted move to Penge would wipe out a lot of the rise. Hell, even I'd start missing some home games thanks to that bastard work).

I would (seriously) suggest squatting Champion Hill, but apparently one of the bureaucratic necessities of eligibility for promotion to Conference South is having an up-to-date lease signed by the end of March so it wouldn't matter.

Last edited:
Good news is that there's meant to be no more rain until 4pm on friday. So fingers crossed it may be all right for the pitch inspection in the morning...

That doesn't look good. It won't take much more rain to postpone it. Although, I am tempted to never go to football again after the away game at Margate. What a perfect way to finish that would be...

Dunc (first post....so hello)

I think both comments are essentially right. I'd be amazed if Southwark Council allowed a stadium on the Metropolitan Open Land of Greendales. This has already been defeated before, there's local organised opposition (you know the sort, irritatingly well-versed nimbys) and now apparently even council leader Peter "I Love Expensive New York Skyscrapers" John is converted to stopping development there. The developer is almost definitely lying through their teeth and treating us like fucking mugs. However, since the only leverage we have is the six month 'Right To Bid' window offered by the Asset of Community Value listing (and nowhere near enough money to do so) we're kinda fucked anyway.

Even if the developer somehow got permission for a ground on Greendales it would be built after so many years of consultation and appeals (if by then they hadn't wiggled out of building it), our fanbase would have shrivelled up playing for years in Mordern at T&M's (admittedly charmingly lower league European style) ground.

Absolutely hilarious timing all this since the club is playing the best football in the whole non-league and attendances are rising massively (the mooted move to Penge would wipe out a lot of the rise. Hell, even I'd start missing some home games thanks to that bastard work).

I would (seriously) suggest squatting Champion Hill, but apparently one of the bureaucratic necessities of eligibility for promotion to Conference South is having an up-to-date lease signed by the end of March so it wouldn't matter.

As a relative newcomer to Champion Hill, I haven't been around since the early days of this ground ownership/eviction/homelessness saga. I appreciate that there are folks who are much more clued up on the whole thing than I am but it does seem to me that most people that I've spoken to are quite defeatist about the whole situation. I have lived within walking distance of Champion Hill for most of the last 8 years and I can't quite imagine what East Dulwich would be like without the football there. It has been a very welcome addition to my life and I know that there are lots of you who share those sentiments.

If there is any hope left, does anyone know where best to focus our efforts? I don't want us to be removed without a fight.

Last edited:
Great that Chico time is back!!!

Meanwhile, apparently, Jill loves Ken Clarke. Don't hate her. She can't help it.

If there is any hope left, does anyone know where best to focus our efforts? I don't want us to be removed without a fight.
Unless we can find a rich sugardaddy to buy the ground for us, or we can raise £10m in six months, we're pretty fucked imo.

I reckon the best hope in the short term is to try and negotiate a short extension on the lease to the ground…maybe a few years...which might be possible if there were lots of barriers to getting planning permission to build houses on the ground. A plan to build houses would surely take years to come to fruition. The local nimbys could even help in this respect by objecting. For the owners of the land, it would be surely better to be getting some sort of rent/lease money for a few years, than having an empty stadium.

But you can bet that any developer right now would be schmoozing Southwark Planning committee councillors behind the scenes, taking them out for expensive lunches and showing them snazzy drawings of how they can 'regenerate & modernise this underused area of your wonderful borough'.

Did we ever own the ground in the first place? I.e. before the Sainsburys was built in the early 90s?

Agreeing to a 20 year lease must have sounded good at the time, but now….. :(

But you can bet that any developer right now would be schmoozing Southwark Planning committee councillors behind the scenes, taking them out for expensive lunches and showing them snazzy drawings of how they can 'regenerate & modernise this underused area of your wonderful borough'.

Can we not be doing the same? We need to schmooze too, bring them, one by one, down to Champion Hill. We can show them beautiful social cohesion in action (as long as they're not from Tooting). How many kids spend their Saturday afternoons ignoring the football and playing tag next to the toilets. They can hear the "community choir practice" behind the goal. We can show how many people we have that turn up to Hamlet games now and how much it means to us.

Unless we can find a rich sugardaddy to buy the ground for us, or we can raise £10m in six months, we're pretty fucked imo.

We must have one or two seriously coined fans. Having said that, I assume that the land is worth an absolute shit-ton so scrap that idea.

Anyway, the point I am trying to make, is that there must be things that we can do. They might not work, but at least we can say we tried. We need to pull on the heart-strings of those councillors, find out what it is that most makes them cream their pants and do it repeatedly. I'm sure the Supporters Trust are doing what they can but we need to all pool together in some sort of pink and blue utopian communist collectivist action. I grew up in Milton Keynes and the year before last, the council announced that they were going to shut down our local library without any consultation, so all of the local residents took it upon themselves to withdraw every single last book. This story was picked up by book-loving anoraks and publicised all over the world and before you knew it, the council had relented and allowed the library to remain open. This example shows that something that the inevitable, can be reversed if the right things are said and done.

If the developers are showing them how wonderful everything could be, we have to show them how awesome it already is.

Back
Top Bottom