Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet FC 2013-2014 season - chat, rumours, reports

A regular Adeniyi song would be good. He doesn't seem to get much at the moment.

Yes. but what about lodge as well...always feel a bit sad there's no chant for him.... hmmm I don't think I am going to get to much work done this afternoon......

Agreed to both, Chewy doesn't get too much of a mention either so there's definitely work to be done.

I was thinking the other day that despite the Rabble's fervent South London nationalism, and the propensity to appropriate pop songs with abridged lyrics, we have no songs based on those by other South Londoners.

Maybe there are slim pickings, I can only think of a few: Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine had a number of South London themed songs, Status Quo are from down this way somewhere. The Clash sung about Brixton but I'm not sure they were natives. Dire Straits rehearsed in Deptford but weren't they Geordies? More recently I know Athlete had the same rehearsal space as my old band (also Deptford) and there are probably some art student types that went to Goldsmiths or Camberwell Art School.

Basement Jaxx...

Good call,

I forgot about David Bowie too.

After firing up the old Google machine, I've found a few more with varying amounts of links to our beautiful land:
Skunk Anansie
Gabrielle
Burial
X-Ray Spex
Big Audio Dynamite
Squeeze
So Solid Crew
Max Bygraves
Maxi Priest
Adele
Japan
Dillinja
Dubstep (basically the whole genre pre-2007)

Oh yeah, Paul Simonen came from brixton so we'll takle The Clash too.

Roots Manuva?
the chorus to "Witness the Fitness" just needs a callback
Oh god! Me, Joe & Steve were drunkenly singing "Witness the Dulwich! We are the Hamlet! One hope, one quest!" on Saturday. Also, it occured to us that, "Lodge will tear you apart" fits the Joy Division original far better than Man United's lame crowbarring of Giggs. There's a penalty appeal, that we've seen with our eyes... and Lodge! Lodge will tear you apart, again...
"oh tooting, up yours" is bound to take the terraces by storm.
"Oh Tooting up yours!" is fucking great. This must be sung. Could we squeeze Adeniyi into 'Identity'?
Basement Jaxx...
"We play near Camberwell, closest team to Brixton, da da-da-da da, da da-da-da da"
So Solid Crew
I think Burty once tried one of his off-the-cuffs based on 21 Seconds.
Also thought Jordan Clarke was v good - anyone know where he's come from? Can't find much on the web...
Just come from Bromley I think. http://www.bromleyfc.tv/season1011/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1892&Itemid=242

Last edited:
Sorry guys and gals, I've been trying to think of songs for Dean Lodge and our other unsung heroes (does anything rhyme with Kershaney, or Ahmed Deen??) but my creative juices appear to have run dry, so you're getting this instead:

Landry Zahana-Oni

021903n.jpg

This guy - Landry Zahana-Oni - is the reason I started going to Dulwich Hamlet.

I'm a Luton fan, and back in 2001 we were busy getting relegated to the fourth division. There wasn't much to cheer about (debt, going into administration etc) but we had this weird spell of signing these exotic-sounding foreign players who might just rescue us. First came Rocky Baptiste (the 'non-league Kanu') who didn't do much and played about three games. Then came Landry Zahana-Oni, a French-born Ivory Coast 'international' who came highly-rated from (I think) Bromley with a reputation for silky skills. WIthout even playing a game, he became a fans favourite. Luton fans quickly named him "Laundry" and waxed lyrical about how he would 'clean up' in front of goal and 'wash up' the opposition defences.

But we all know the type of player: cracking skills, will take it past three or four defenders with aplomb…then sky it over the bar from six yards (see pic above.) Laundry (bless him) only played a handful of games for us and never scored. He soon ended up at Dulwich Hamlet. A mate of mine from Luton was living at the halls of residence in Champion Hill and she suggested we go down to see him play at the Hamlet. It was a fairly cold Tuesday night. We paid about 6 quid to get in and were instantly impressed with pitch-view bar and quality main stand. We were playing Hampton & Richmond Borough and I reckon the attendance must have about 90, if that. The rabble behind the Dulwich goal must have numbered about half a dozen. H&RB brought four fans and a big flag.

Ironically, Laundry didn't even make the starting 11. It was a pretty poor game from what I remember. Laundry came on as a sub in the second half and ran around a lot, but didn't do much. It ended in a draw, 1-1 I think, and I'm pretty sure Dulwich were at or near the bottom of the table and probably even got relegated that season. Even so, I was intrigued, and returned occasionally over the coming years before becoming more of a regular about three years ago, in time to see a couple of narrowly-failed promotion attempts (see: glutton for punishment - it comes from being a Luton fan for 30 years - always the underdog!)

So thanks Landry Zahana-Oni, it's partly because of you that I'm on this mental journey which has resulted in me also (rightly) supporting my local team with as much devotion as Luton (both Luton and Dulwich are currently TOP OF THE LEAGUE.)

I wonder where you are now…..?

Last edited:
Always had a soft spot for Gabrielle...

Dreams can come true
Look at me babe, pink and blue
You know you gotta have Erhun
You know you gotta be strong

This reminds me of my attempts to get my people to sing "I just want to kiss Gavin Rose on the Hill" to the tune of Seal's 'Kiss from a Rose' at the impromptu house party we held after the Maidstone game. I wrote a full verse.

It did not catch on.

..."I just want to kiss Gavin Rose on the Hill" to the tune of Seal's 'Kiss from a Rose'...
That's quality - like it!

Maybe "I've been kissed by Gavin Rose on the Hill" is more meaningful……because one way or another, we all really have been….

Last edited:
This reminds me of my attempts to get my people to sing "I just want to kiss Gavin Rose on the Hill" to the tune of Seal's 'Kiss from a Rose' at the impromptu house party we held after the Maidstone game. I wrote a full verse.

It did not catch on.

Do you remember the whole verse?

Dreams can come true
I think the one constant in my life over the last 20 or so years has been my tendency to sing Dreams in the 'club style'. And since Vic Reeves used to live in Camberwell that's another local reference ticked.

Sorry guys and gals, I've been trying to think of songs for Dean Lodge and our other unsung heroes (does anything rhyme with Kershaney, or Ahmed Deen??) but my creative juices appear to have run dry, so you're getting this instead:
Landry Zahana-Oni

021903n.jpg

He also played a couple of times for Montrose at the turn of the century, as well as being a Stirling Albion legend at the end of the 90s- had a season with them and I think they won promotion that year, under Kevin Drinkell. I think Drinkell bought him to Montrose where he was plainly unfit, a condition not helped by Drinkell's visionary "quick fag and a swatch at the game on sky" training methods.

A bizarre, unpredictable player with obvious talent but...somehow it just didn't come together.

He and Kargara "Lord" Ndiwa both had similar careers. Landry played a lot more in Scotland but "Lord" came up from London to Montrose to play once or twice- the first man from Congo to play in the Scottish Third division. Eventually, Montrose decided he wasn't worth the easyjet fare and he disappeared back into the nether regions of the Ryman league. Last heard of at AFC Liverpool a few seasons ago. Oni, now long retired, lives in Glasgow.

Dreams can come true

A slight tinkering:

Ahmed Deen bamboozles you
Look at him in pink and blue
You know you gotta have Lodge

A slight tinkering:

Ahmed Deen bamboozles you
Look at him in pink and blue
You know you gotta have Lodge

On second thoughts, I'm not sure I've ever seen Ahmed Deen bamboozle anyone. I'm sure he has though, just when I've not been watching.

Do you remember the whole verse?

Um, it was something along the lines of

"Did you know/ that when we score/
That Dulwich will win and/
The pink and blue army will sing:/
Babyyyyyyy I just wanna kiss Gavin Rose on the Hill/
Oooooh I just wanna kiss Gavin Rose on the Hill/
And did you know..." repeat ad infinitum, until everyone has left and you're sat in your kitchen, alone.

1st half at Not Police this season, stood with Mr Baker and a few others at the turnstiles (as we'd walked in with beers so weren't allowed any nearer the pitch) we mooched our way round a bat mitzvah ditty for captain Adeniyi.

To the tune of

"Peter
Peter Adeniyi
Peter Adeniyi
Peter... "
(oh you get it)

I have just re-read the club and 12th man statements about Yannick Nlate's loan deal. They don't mention how long he will be at the club but he arrived a month ago (ish). Does anyone know if he is pencilled in to stay for the duration of Phil's injury?

Back
Top Bottom