Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet FC 2013-2014 season - chat, rumours, reports

How can people in their 20s and 30s who have either just started going or been going a handful of seasons not at least have an ex-team?

In my experience football isn't something you just decide to get in to one day, after years of not being interested.
i could go to 150 say rotherham games and i could never end up supporting rotherham. i might enjoy it for a laugh and to watch the beauty of the game, but i could never shrug off the love i have for the team i fell in love with at about the age of 5. i could never have a joint alliance i don't think either, i think that's more a millwall thing than anything else - you end up hating every other team because they all hate you. vicious cycle.

millwall is about my family, my local area, generations of millwall fans in my family, and most of all it's about my dad - he was the one who took me, it's what we talk about most.

i guess the line has to start somewhere though. i'd say to anyone who is new to game to take your kids, i'm so grateful that my dad did when i was a nipper

millwall is about my family, my local area, generations of millwall fans in my family, and most of all it's about my dad - he was the one who took me, it's what we talk about most.

I've found my new Hamlet devotion an interesting shift. I would have said the same as you about Blackburn a year ago. My Dad took me and my brother to their matches from when I was five (the season after we won the league, sob), I had a season ticket for 14 years and I can count the times I've been to Rovers games without him on one hand.

Having started going to Hamlet in September/October, I think what I find most enjoyable about live football is the little rituals you come up with. Up north, it was parking in the same spot, going to the same pub, making predictions on the same cobbled alleyway, buying a pack of refreshers from the same newsagent etc etc. Now I go with friends (which I've never done before) who've never been to football regularly before and we've created all our own traditions: predictions in St Francis Park, first fifteen minutes giving the liner an earful, walking the long way around at half time. So while going to the footy has kept this ritualistic practice, I feel I have much more choice in the matter, whereas being a Blackburn fan was something I had no choice in at all: it was cultural, historical and familial. While that all stands, living 230 mile away from a shambles of a team takes it toll and Dulwich has filled the void of a missing team without feeling like I'm, er, cheating.

My parents live in the Elephant now, so it's been great to take them to a couple of games at the Hill and show them, in a way, what football I decided to "choose". And to think about my relationship to two football clubs has made me realise properly how socially relevant they can be, so it's nice to feel part of a fanbase who embrace that.

Sorry for the self-indulgent post, just be glad you haven't bumped into me at a party and asked me if I like football in the past four months. As soon as it happens, I know I'm going to be talking about Erhun Oztumer for ten minutes and I can't help it.

nAcrDM.gif

EDC, I believe it was you and myself who stayed singing 'la la la la la la la la loy' in the rain. It actually rained worse at home to Carshalton in August but that day the rain was persistent for nearly the whole of the second half. Today was a fierce onslaught that a lasted a couple of minutes at most. I'm glad we were afforded the opportunity to continue and that after a difficult month we are at the top of the league. Bring on Hornchurch next week!

Your station is nowhere near your ground!!!

EDC, I believe it was you and myself who stayed singing 'la la la la la la la la loy' in the rain. It actually rained worse at home to Carshalton in August but that day the rain was persistent for nearly the whole of the second half. Today was a fierce onslaught that a lasted a couple of minutes at most. I'm glad we were afforded the opportunity to continue and that after a difficult month we are at the top of the league. Bring on Hornchurch next week!

Your station is nowhere near your ground!!!

Yep, that was me, fun wasn't it!! It reminded me of one of my very first Dulwich Hamlet matches back in the mid-1980's a vital win in a relegation threatening season against Leyton Wingate. There were four of us behind the goal that night, I managed to catch the ball filthying up my jacket but I was so wet through you get to the stage where you care no longer.

Mind you I shivered all the way home today, must be old age.

How can people in their 20s and 30s who have either just started going or been going a handful of seasons not at least have an ex-team?

In my experience football isn't something you just decide to get in to one day, after years of not being interested.
Yeah, I did mean a lot of Hamlet-only fans relative to this level of football.

I did once work with a 40-something divorcee who had suddenly started supporting a Premier League team in a desperate attempt at a coping mechanism. Some of the most strained football conversations I've ever had.

Last edited:
Just got back, what a weird day out. Great support as usual but why did everybody head for the bar the minute it started spitting, I realise that footballers are not made of sterner and that rain can really,really hurt on bare skin, but the supporters, why? I wouldn't have been surprised if the ref had abandoned it as the pitch was cloggy afterwards but if the fans stay out it puts him under pressure to stay on. I'm gald I and one other did.
Ultimately you're right, though some of us were by the tunnel shouting, er, encouragement towards the ref. And stopping the steward taking the corner flags up as he assumed it had been abandoned (seeing that really could have made the ref's mind up for him).

Weird week. Not sure if we've got lucky in the last two games (Margate comeback, Harrow off-the-lines) or if we're just imbued with some orgasmic magical power. Still, top of the league!

Had one of those post-match drinking sessions where you end up tenuously crowbarring Dulwich players into popular songs. Will update as they come back to me.

Last edited:
Sorry for the self-indulgent post, just be glad you haven't bumped into me at a party and asked me if I like football in the past four months. As soon as it happens, I know I'm going to be talking about Erhun Oztumer for ten minutes and I can't help it.

Really enjoyable post Yorick. My Blackburn mate loved it - said he's tempted to wash an old Rovers shirt in with some reds to create a weird, hybrid pink and blue!

Dulwich has provided some of the most enjoyable moments for me in the last six months. Bring on Hornchurch away.

The weird thing was that you didn't really notice the horizontal rain behind the Car Wash End until the ref did a runner with the players. Communal sheltering from the storm, etc.

It was quite a nervy final ten. The Rabble were STARS, especially Mishi who carried that chant through until the end. Top work.

Hornchurch away next week :)

Random words.

7.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

The 800+ attendance was a bit impressive only a week after our last home game. Comparable fixtures against mid-table opponents this time last year were getting around 430-ish.

Harrow's boss is also co-presenter of 5Live's graveyard scheduled Non League Show, 3 minutes in he discusses trying/wanting to get the game yesterday abandoned and describes DH as playing a style of football he's never seen before at that level: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03s686k

Last edited:
...not to mention the sheer SIZE of the current rabble:eek::):eek:!!I Jeeeez! Watched from afar (the bar) yesterday, but was astounded by how it has grown over the last 2 months. Looked like at least a quarter of all attendees. This is a good thing, though have to note that the mischievous phrase 'DHFC have been invaded by Mumford' appeared on the twittersphere. Ultimately, all good in my opinion. 810 through the gates late January is more than respectable and the only way is up as far as I can see.

These are anti fascist - second world war European resistance flags

Of course the Free French Army played games at Champion Hill during the War

Yugoslavia Partisan Movement (with star)
Italian Partisan Movement CLN
French Resistance Movement FTP
Spanish Civil War - British International Brigade

we also fly the Tuscany regional flag

Last edited:
If you do go, I suggest getting the C2C train from West Ham to Upminster; you can then walk back from there or get the tube to Upminster Bridge. Getting the District Line all the way will takes ages...

Edit: Typed before you've added the above.

The windmill is pretty smart tbh, but there isn't a great deal there!

If you fancy pre-games beers I'd say the Crumpled Horn on Upminster High St is the best bet (imagine the Beehive in Essex). There's a pub down by Upminster Bridge but it looks like more of a carvery place than a drinking establishment.

The 800+ attendance was a bit impressive only a week after our last home game. Comparable fixtures against mid-table opponents this time last year were getting around 430-ish.

Harrow's boss is also co-presenter of 5Live's graveyard scheduled Non League Show, 3 minutes in he discusses trying/wanting to get the game yesterday abandoned and describes DH as playing a style of football he's never seen before at that level: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03s686k

"The Arsenal of non-league" not sure how I feel about that (I suppose it's a compliment) ...... at least our fans at champion hill are noisier than the arsenal lot at the emirates!!!...and on the tube :) and we've won silverware recently....

I'm heading to Hornchurch. My route takes me to Gidea Park. I'll probably have my bike with me. Easy to cycle to the ground from there?

Back
Top Bottom