Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet FC 2013-2014 season - chat, rumours, reports

Although I'm dead excited about playing T***ing on Tuesday night, I can't shake this niggling feeling that I need to come up with an amusing banner/flag for the Leatherhead game next Saturday. vornstyle76 's posters have inspired me. I need some concrete ideas. Maybe my mates from Brickston can help. After all, the fans are the mortar that holds the club together, so we need to lay down some foundations, fire up some ideas in the kiln of Support, and ensure our defence doesn't collapse at the crucial moment…

NOM9AH8.png

Another brick in the wall (not very original)

pink pig picture was over Battersea power station (so South London)

"Hey Leatherhead leave them fans alone"

"We do't need no Tooting Mitcham"
We dont need no

We don't need no education
We don't need no thought control
No dark sarcasm in the classroom
Teachers leave them kids alone
Hey teacher leave them kids alone
All in all it's just another brick in the wall
All in all you're just another brick in the wall

Leatherhead is mentioned in the original H.G. Wells book The War of the Worlds. Day Ten (roughly) is when Leatherhead (where the narrator sent his wife for safety) is destroyed by a Martian attack, killing everyone.

Monty Python's Flying Circus makes reference to Leatherhead in the "Red Indian in Theatre" sketch, when Eric Idle, in Native American costume says, "When moon high over prairie, when wolf howl over mountain, when mighty wind roar through Yellow Valley, we go Leatherhead Rep - block booking, upper circle - whole tribe get it on three and six each."

In the TV series The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the house that was used for Arthur Dent's residence is in Leatherhead.

Last edited:
The Rabble is growing in size (or at least people standing behind the goal DHFC are attacking) which is great, however the singing was a bit ropey today - missing some key leaders and Rob's voice was only good enough for The Voice
Mishi and Burty are always a miss, definitely our best singers, but I thought the singing was quite good towards the end, several pockets giving it some across the Dog Kennel Hill End (Curva Autolavaggio?). Yeah, we're all over the place, like a Throbbing Gristle b-side remixed with a cat abattoir, but we are football fans after all. I especially liked the bit where me and G-Man climbed on the railings to belt some numbers out.
The PA system need totally replacing
Bring your megaphone and we'll do a voluntary PA system!
Let's have a look at the top of that lovely table

YDBq5b6.png
To be competing with Maidstone again is even more impressive as last season they budgeted for crowds of 700 at their new ground, this season they've budgeted for approx. 2,000, plus they must have money left over from 2012/13. Maidstone are a former/reborn league club with the crowds and resources of such a beast. It'll be very tough to keep up with them but should be a hell of a ride.

Last edited:
I'm beginning to realise that my Dulwich disappearance around 2008 was because I wasn't embracing The Rabble. The Glory Hunter within LOVED it on Saturday - by far the best atmosphere that I've experienced at Champion Hill. The inclusiveness is brilliant. Has football always been this fun?

Something very special is happening down at Dulwich right now.

Many thanks to those who have helped to kick start this great club.

11.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

28.jpg

30.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

Hemel came from 3-1 down at home to draw 3-3 with Sutton (Sutton also missed a penalty) in the FA cup on Saturday in front of 1455 - Both now go into Tuesdays FA Cup draw

What the fuck are they doing with that Bristol City flag? Who do they think they are? Altona 93? KMT. I get mad when I see a kid at the game in a Barcelona shirt, never mind this cheek. One of the great things about Hamlet is the fact that unlike so many of our comparables we have a definite 'Dulwich first' vibe. Obviously loads of people have second clubs, but at the match it's all about DHFC. Anyway, speaking of *ahem* inclusiveness...
I'm beginning to realise that my Dulwich disappearance around 2008 was because I wasn't embracing The Rabble. The Glory Hunter within LOVED it on Saturday - by far the best atmosphere that I've experienced at Champion Hill. The inclusiveness is brilliant. Has football always been this fun?

Something very special is happening down at Dulwich right now.

Many thanks to those who have helped to kick start this great club.
I think Gavin Rose is the man most directly responsible. Whilst the coincidence of loads of people starting to come over the last few years is a huge factor, Gavin's ability to put a great and charismatic team together with scarce resources has brought those euphoric moments that have episodically whipped us up into a bit of a frenzy. I do wonder what would happen if he went. And a big shout out to the old-school fans, the proper Rabble who basically kept the club going through leaner years, whose voluntary work has literally kept the club going, who over a post-match pint (or diet coke in Mishi's case) will regale you with eccentric (and occasionally awe-inspiring) tales from the past, a rich and un-sterile oral history of the club.

Last edited:
I think Gavin Rose is the man most directly responsible. Whilst the coincidence of loads of people starting to come over the last few years is a huge factor, Gavin's ability to put a great and charismatic team together with scarce resources has brought those euphoric moments that have episodically whipped us up into a bit of a frenzy. I do wonder what would happen if he went.

There's a 'chicken & the egg' element to it. Loud fans are going to help spur on the team but the team playing well keeps the crowds coming back. Credit to Gavin for sticking with the project.

I also genuinely think that the Rabble do make a massive difference in the growing reputation of the club. Players know that if they come to Dulwich, they'll be playing in front of 500+ crowds every week (often more) and it actually means something to the supporters. Better that than a damp night in Kent or Essex in front of one man and his dog...

There's a 'chicken & the egg' element to it. Loud fans are going to help spur on the team but the team playing well keeps the crowds coming back. Credit to Gavin for sticking with the project.

I also genuinely think that the Rabble do make a massive difference in the growing reputation of the club. .

I totally agree with this, Gavin Rose attractive style of play is bringing back the fans week in week out, as is, the buzz created before the games on social media, posters, chat and of course at the game - the Rabble has become a great asset - (I have to accept like others I would have felt strange standing with the Rabble rather than seated - but now I really enjoy the craic - their are some very witty contributions (often aimed at the away goalkeeper - who usually gets a tirade of questions directed at him on issues as varied as to their view of Mugabe or the Guardian editorial backing the LibDems at the 2010 general election, to only having half a hair cut or the tanning booths of Essex - or the size of their badge)

I have noticed sportingly some Rabble fans have taken to congratulating the goalkeeper after the whistle - a process I think we should encourage

Obviously, kids are going to wear the shirts of the corporate monopolies, maybe we should be ensuring kids can buy cheap (subsidised) Dulwich hamlet shirts

While we cannot have a big say on what happens on the pitch we can on the stands, the flags are getting better and better - still dream of a huge Edgar Kail/Che Guvera - Left wingers banner

It was good to see DHFC stickers at east Dulwich station, but a banner on the top of the old garden centre - welcome to Champion Hill would be great

We also need a board (like DHFC) used to have on the edge of the park informing the public of the next home game

Art and Progressive viewpoint are essential for the project as they bind us into a common cause

Yes Rob you can have a megaphone on Tuesday

The weather is set good for Tuesday night

But, must plan for English weather, could easily whip up a large tarp to keep off the rain - but any progress on a cheap tin number ???

When I first visited champion hill as a kid, with 170 others I used to be regaled with the glory days of Dulwich hamlet - often as the fog rolled across the ground obscuring the other goal _ As stated these are happy days again - lets make the most of them

Its not going to be great for much longer unless we keep adapting, and sharing ideas -

Take your dreams for reality

well done to all who have brought us so far - It's a real joy in my life and I know many others)

Here's Erhun's penalty: (I must have clenched from excitement when we scored and pressed the 'stop' button cos unfortunately I cut off the crowd celebrations :D )

Nice. Wow, the voodoo stick really enhances the traditional fists in the air celebration!
I heard a rumour (no pun intended) that Luton are interested in Erhun….:facepalm:
Oh dear. You'll be popular! Can only hope wherever he does eventually go will use him properly (i.e. build the team round him) rather than just using him as a semi-trusted 85th minute sub a few times when they're chasing a game.

Oh dear. You'll be popular! Can only hope wherever he does eventually go will use him properly (i.e. build the team round him) rather than just using him as a semi-trusted 85th minute sub a few times when they're chasing a game.
That is the danger - I'd hate to see him sit on the subs bench. We have a large squad already and decent players & cover in every position. I don't think it would be arrogant to say I don't think Luton need him - we're already doing well. We had a very similar player called John Paul Kissock, who was a 5ft scouser with incredible control who used to take the piss out of opposition players - not much end product though, unlike Erhun. The fans kinda loved him but he ended up being considered a 'luxury' player. Better for Erhun to be playing every week and delighting his fans.

Could just be speculation - when you have a bit of money (relatively) in the conference you tend to get linked to every decent player around. Erhun should stay at Dulwich….I think we know he can play at a higher level - which is why he should stay and help steer the Dulwich roller coaster to towards the Conference South.

Fun fact of the day - before Erhun's penalty on Saturday, the last Dulwich player to score against Billericay Town was one Peter Crouch, during his one month loan spell from Spurs in March 2000.

I've been banging a drum for the word transpontine since I saw it graffito'd on a Streatham railway arch age 12 or so and (eventually) found out it means both South London AND lurid melodrama (who cool is that?!). Good to see it finally gaining some traction. The blog of that name helps too. In the future I foresee a whole branding empire. Transpontine Toothpaste. Transpontine Funeral Services. Transpontine 3D Printer Plastic Supplies.

Back
Top Bottom