Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet FC 2013-2014 season - chat, rumours, reports

I've never really understood people who watch games which don't feature their team, tbh.
It depends on your definition.
Last night I went to Clapton versus Hullbridge Sports, in the Essex Senior League. Including pre-season matches, that was the 105th game I have watched this season. Clearly NOT all Dulwich Hamlet games, as I work every other Saturday, but do include Hamlet Reserve & Youth fixtures. I do like to get to games at grounds I haven't been to, but only 21 of these have been new grounds. I just enjoy watching football, when I can.
What I cannot understand is people who 'watch' games, and say they have 'watched games' even though they are just on television. Unless it is on the box as 'backdrop' in a pub or football bar I just don't watch football on television, and don't miss it.
I accept there are a band of football fans who have become disillusioned/cannot afford to go to professional football, but other than them I really despise those 'football fans' who profess love for their clubs but have no intention of ever going to watch them, whether they can really afford it or not! They are not fan, they support a 'televison team'. And the worst time for these tossers in their 'natural habitat' is during World Cup Finals, when England qualify. Clogging up pubs, unable to hold their beer, all 'football experts' while spouting total verbal bollocks. At least, this summer, they won't have to have 'dickhead' scrawled across their foreheads, as you will be able to identify them, as they will be the only muppets to have shelled out ninety quid for the new England shirt!

I've never really understood people who watch games which don't feature their team, tbh.
And what of people who come to Champion Hill for the first time? Can they call Dulwich Hamlet 'their team'? Sure there's a local interest, but they may have heard about our unique current support, and have popped along to see what the fuss is about, or been dragged along by a mate, enticed more by the drinking than the football...if that's the case then there will be quite a few on Saturday who 'you never really understand...'

And what of people who come to Champion Hill for the first time? Can they call Dulwich Hamlet 'their team'? Sure there's a local interest, but they may have heard about our unique current support, and have popped along to see what the fuss is about, or been dragged along by a mate, enticed more by the drinking than the football...if that's the case then there will be quite a few on Saturday who 'you never really understand...'
If they've been enticed down by the daft photos and the stories of what goes on around the terraces rather than the prospect of WINNING GLORY, then I think we'll be OK. :)

There's several female friends of mine who are considering coming down to their first match (or first in many years) because they know a lot of the people going and think it's unlikely to prove to be a repeat of their previous unhappy matchday experience (or fit the stereotypes of what they've heard about football).

And that can only be a Very Good Thing all round.

We should be proud of what we've collectively achieved here, IMO.

Those tweets, as follows (note - contain robust swearing):

ImageProxy.mvc
ImageProxy.mvc
thanks for that (still cant see them though - sorry!)

Is this http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/jewish-world-news/1.585903 close to Wingate & Finchley FC?

Our cup-halffinal yesterday wasn't successful - except of the 1.847 (paying) spectators. It was 1-1 after 90 and 120 minutes and Altona lost 8:9 in the penalty shoot-out.
Altona wanted his goalkeeper to shoot the sixth penalty, but the referee insisted that the first five players should all shoot again. That's why Altona raised a protest, today. The HFV (Hamburg FA) will decide soon...
What a joke! fingers crossed for a replay and a fair Altona win!

Looking on the Hornchurch forum (I've had my eyes off the euro match since the start) it appears there has been a storm on twitter with Stefan Payne in response to alleged 'fan abuse'. He was red-carded. Apparently we nearly signed him in the summer and we could have done with his goals. Thankfully we have our own house in order and dreaming that we can get the result that we need on Saturday.

No doubt I'll be shattered from my exertions in Feltham having made my debut for the supporters team. It's hard to say no when you've had 8 Tyskies, that is strong shit. Can I wear my hat for protection?
Stefan Payne nearly signed for us, just before he joined AFC Hornchurch, and then scored against us in our home game. Gavin knows him, and wanted to sign him, but he honestly came back to him apparently, and said he would have liked to have played for Gavin, but AFC Hornchurch offered him money that he just couldn't turn down.

"And need a place to drink in the morning - the Brick Brewery sounded nice in your stories?!?"

How about some tins on the train from Waterloo, and play for the Supporters Team, against Hampton & Richmond supporters, in Feltham? ;-)
Anyone who would like to play, even if you haven't turned out for 'The Rabblers', we play for fun, it's near to Feltham station, 10.30am kick off, so enough time to get back to Champion Hill (Train back to Waterloo, then quick short 'hops' Waterloo East to London Bridge and from there to East Dulwich) You can still drink, on the journey back to Dulwich, and it means you're 'pacing yourself' for the big (hopefully) post-match we've reached the play-off party! ;-)

Youth and ability is a 'bonus', the Supporters Team is open to all, young and old, male or female, and it's 'rolling substitutes' so you can come on and off. It about fun and representing your Club, and bonding with fans you might not know.

If you're tempted then just contact Shaun on 07931276118

Leave a message if he doesn't answer, as he does shift work on the trains, and he will get back to you.

There are also supporters tournaments that we enter in the summer, so contact him if you fancy a run out in them. I think it's Leyton Orients supporters on 10th May; our good friends Worthing supporters', at their actual stadium, on Saturday 17th May, always a great day out & piss-up if you drink, on FA Cup final day; & thw Queens Park one, up in Glasgow on Saturday 7th June, when we take part in the veterans (over 40's) part of their one.

Again speak to Shaun if you would like to play in any of these, and any Hamlet fans are welcome to come along to any of these just for fun, you don't have to play.

I've got a great reggae band playing the Albert the night before, but I shall endeavour not to stay up all night and thus be reasonably coherent for the mighty experience that will be Dulwich Hamlet.

Ive only been down to Dulwich a couple of times, but do enjoy it.

I have heard this Saturday is the last game of the season, vitally important for potential play off place, so will definitely have to head down.

Only issue is, I was born in Kingston and used to go to kingstonian games a lot as a teenager! Are Kingstonian in the play offs already, so maybe I should support Dulwich on Saturday?!

"And need a place to drink in the morning - the Brick Brewery sounded nice in your stories?!?"

How about some tins on the train from Waterloo, and play for the Supporters Team, against Hampton & Richmond supporters, in Feltham? ;-)
Anyone who would like to play, even if you haven't turned out for 'The Rabblers', we play for fun, it's near to Feltham station, 10.30am kick off, so enough time to get back to Champion Hill (Train back to Waterloo, then quick short 'hops' Waterloo East to London Bridge and from there to East Dulwich) You can still drink, on the journey back to Dulwich, and it means you're 'pacing yourself' for the big (hopefully) post-match we've reached the play-off party! ;-)

Youth and ability is a 'bonus', the Supporters Team is open to all, young and old, male or female, and it's 'rolling substitutes' so you can come on and off. It about fun and representing your Club, and bonding with fans you might not know.

If you're tempted then just contact Shaun on 07931276118

Leave a message if he doesn't answer, as he does shift work on the trains, and he will get back to you.

There are also supporters tournaments that we enter in the summer, so contact him if you fancy a run out in them. I think it's Leyton Orients supporters on 10th May; our good friends Worthing supporters', at their actual stadium, on Saturday 17th May, always a great day out & piss-up if you drink, on FA Cup final day; & thw Queens Park one, up in Glasgow on Saturday 7th June, when we take part in the veterans (over 40's) part of their one.

Again speak to Shaun if you would like to play in any of these, and any Hamlet fans are welcome to come along to any of these just for fun, you don't have to play.

I recall volunteering on Saturday with G Man, will drop Shaun a message.

I would really like to come but we are seriously skint atm.
Will have to see how it all looks on the day.
What time is kick off?

Oh and thanks for thinking of us x

Back
Top Bottom