Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet FC 2013-2014 season - chat, rumours, reports

peterboro supporting colleague has been asking me abour erhun, apparently posh are interested now. looks like we';re not going to be able to hold onto the lad.

I don't think there was ever any chance of him staying tbf. He's clearly been set on a move to a professional team - if you look at his website it's a big advert. And fair enough really.

On Vidal I wonder if Gavin thinks he does enough when we're not dominating the ball. Kavanagh and Pinnock have a lot more physical presence.

soP.s. in Brixton for the whole of Sat Ritzy workers are striking over pay. There should be music and stuff there as well and apparently Irvine Welsh is doing a talk. - although not sure how reliable that info is.

may pop down there after the game..
This sounds like an ideal post-game drinking option. 37 bus. Cans. Welcomed singing. Present the banner.

And Adrian Durham.

I have waited twenty five years to tell this story. Even though it's crap.

I was at university with Adrian Durham. An odd rather inconsequential chap, looked about 12. But friendly enough.

Anyhow, by way of japes, I locked him in the halls of residence bogs once through the skilful application of his tea mug to the door handle. He went absolutely nuts, really apeshit. Plus his radio career started on the university radio station relaying the football scores from Ceefax (this was the eighties) to my roommate, who presented the Saturday afternoon sports show.

Popbitch worthy that.

I will have just moved to Lewisham the previous day, so whilst I'll no doubt be eager to get wasted after days of monotonous physical labour, I'll have to negotiate waking up and catching the 136. I'll aim for 1 o'clock.

This has just been uploaded to youtube by Pathé...

...Give me a couple of days and I'll stick ♫ Let's Do The Time Warp Again!!! ♫ over it.

Great piece of footage, filmed at our previous ground (on near enough the same site as the current one) which opened in October 1931 and was demolished sixty years later.

I've no idea what the "Cad's Club" is, referenced in the opening titles. Also while the film is dated 1931 I reckon it's at least five years later than that as our players shirts have the first version of the current club crest, which I believe wasn't used until around 1936/7. They appear to be receiving some sort of medals before the game, but there was no trophy and no medals for winning the league in those days (being a true Amateur competition "the honour sufficed") and we didn't win it anyway between 1933 and 1949.

The opposition is possibly London Caledonians, a now defunct club, whose colours I believe were navy & white hoops.

Great piece of footage, filmed at our previous ground (on near enough the same site as the current one) which opened in October 1931 and was demolished sixty years later.

I've no idea what the "Cad's Club" is, referenced in the opening titles. Also while the film is dated 1931 I reckon it's at least five years later than that as our players shirts have the first version of the current club crest, which I believe wasn't used until around 1936/7. They appear to be receiving some sort of medals before the game, but there was no trophy and no medals for winning the league in those days (being a true Amateur competition "the honour sufficed") and we didn't win it anyway between 1933 and 1949.

The opposition is possibly London Caledonians, a now defunct club, whose colours I believe were navy & white hoops.
Numerous fact-bombs, all very interesting. Thank you! Surely "Cad's Club" should be considered for a banner...

"Signing On - Western Bros. secure new members for Cad's Club at Dulwich Hamlet Ground" - I assume they were being introduced to the radio and music hall pisstake aristocrats, the Western Brothers.

western-bros2.jpg

"Signing On - Western Bros. secure new members for Cad's Club at Dulwich Hamlet Ground" - I assume they were being introduced to the radio and music hall pisstake aristocrats, the Western Brothers.

western-bros2.jpg
"In October 1948 they became involved in a controversy because of a joke that Kenneth told between songs during a live performance on the BBC Home Service. The punchline of the joke appeared to suggest that Hugh Gaitskell, then the Minister of Fuel and Power, was guilty of nepotism." Bully!

Back
Top Bottom