Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dullest Film Ever

I used to be like that, but the older I get the more I like to make the most of the time I've got left on this planet and a really boring, wanky film is not time well spent.
BloodRayne was my tipping point. Up till then, no matter how painful to watch, even if I had to watch it in chunks, I finished everything I started. Turns out that Uwe Boll + Michael Madsen in a wig was a step too far :(

BloodRayne was my tipping point. Up till then, no matter how painful to watch, even if I had to watch it in chunks, I finished everything I started. Turns out that Uwe Boll + Michael Madsen in a wig was a step too far :(

John Carpenter's Vampires was the breaking point for me *shudders at the memory*

I used to be like that, but the older I get the more I like to make the most of the time I've got left on this planet and a really boring, wanky film is not time well spent.

I get you but I'd feel ... cheated ... if I didn't sit it out until the bitter end.

I get you but I'd feel ... cheated ... if I didn't sit it out until the bitter end.
I feel cheated out of the extra time I spend on something I've decided is crap. At the cinema it's more rare that I walk out of films, often one has to silently negotiate with the person one went with. I've had a few occasions though were we both loathed the film and were like "if only you'd said something, I would have left too". At home I skip lots of films I can't get into.

There was one film I gave up on after twenty minutes and then returned to after I saw the film-makers following film, which I liked. The film was the "mumble core" psycho thriller A Horrible Way to Die and the follow up was the satirical home invasion film You're Next. When I stuck it out to the end the second time I really liked A Horrible Way to Die, even if initially the way it's made struck me as confusing and off-putting. So occasionally I get it wrong, but I think it's rare and not worth wasting time on all the films where I don't enjoy myself.

It's gotta be 'What Are you doing Hal'..(2001 A Space Odessey)..went to flicks to see it about 4 years back for first time & the film broke down & I thought it was part of the film! So so happy when discovered that it wasn't & we could leave. My partner was really enjoying it.

I never understood the 2001 = dull complaint. I find the entire mid-section which is HAL vs the astronauts, among the most tense sequences in cinema and that's the main bulk of the film. I also think it's still the most beautiful looking science fiction film ever made and if you bother to engage with it, there are genuinely great ideas in it.

It took a couple viewings for the film to really click with me, but since then I revisit it at least every couple of years.

I feel cheated out of the extra time I spend on something I've decided is crap. At the cinema it's more rare that I walk out of films, often one has to silently negotiate with the person one went with. I've had a few occasions though were we both loathed the film and were like "if only you'd said something, I would have left too". At home I skip lots of films I can't get into.

There was one film I gave up on after twenty minutes and then returned to after I saw the film-makers following film, which I liked. The film was the "mumble core" psycho thriller A Horrible Way to Die and the follow up was the satirical home invasion film You're Next. When I stuck it out to the end the second time I really liked A Horrible Way to Die, even if initially the way it's made struck me as confusing and off-putting. So occasionally I get it wrong, but I think it's rare and not worth wasting time on all the films where I don't enjoy myself.
I wish I had given up on Guardians Of The Galaxy earlier. Gave it a whole hour.

I never understood the 2001 = dull complaint. I find the entire mid-section which is HAL vs the astronauts, among the most tense sequences in cinema and that's the main bulk of the film. I also think it's still the most beautiful looking science fiction film ever made and if you bother to engage with it, there are genuinely great ideas in it.

It took a couple viewings for the film to really click with me, but since then I revisit it at least every couple of years.

Damn right. I saw that on RTE when I was a kid - and the continuity announcer said "RTE are proud to present the premiere of 2001" (I think it was 1980 - films took a while to get onto the telly back then). My Mom snorted "proud" - she and Dad saw it when it came out originally and hated it. I was transfixed. I've probably seen it about 6 times & the last time I saw it was at the cinema (last year, I think) and I was blown away all over again!

didn't really getit until I read 2010

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. The only film I've ever walked out of. An hour of my life I'll never get back.

walked out of 'three men and a baby', tho prawns and jelly babies flying round the cinema, culminating in a girl screaming 'i've been hit by a fish', played a part in it.

three men and a baby was from the 1980s wasn't it? also who take prawns to a cinema? :hmm:
someone who has had a couple of cans of strongbow before attending the afternoon performance

there was a party of girls at the film throwing jelly babies round the place and when one hit me i threw a prawn - with notable accuracy considering the darkened room - leading to the outburst referred to above. following which i and a friend departed with our heads held high.

Last edited:
didn't really getit until I read 2010
I never read any of the books and I feel I got 2001 after a couple of viewings, apart from the things which I believe you are not supposed to get. I don't think the film is even that complicated to understand. The alien/s in it is or are so genuinely alien they are beyond our comprehension and the way they communicate may just be reality altering for humans. Which makes it the smartest depiction of alien life on film IMO.

The film of 2010 was terrible, I trust the book is better.

Last edited:
Nothing worse than a crap sequel milking its legacy to make for a dull film. The Matrix has to rank most guilty in that regard, plus any of the post-James Cameron Terminator films. I actually bothered to watch Terminator Genysis on the plane a few weeks ago..jesus did that suck. And Beverly Hills Cop 3.

Back
Top Bottom