Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dullest Film Ever

muser said:
They are one to watch, the film with meryl streep about a jew polish woman in occupied poland who has to make the decision about which of her children must live. I can't remember the title, but saw a little of it at work (while in my break) and thought it was brilliant.
Captain correlli mandolin is a superb book, saw a little of the film, once again during my lunch break and thought that too might be good.
Ryazan, City of god, from which ever persective you want to view it is a brilliant film. If you trivialise it and call it a teenage film flick, that seems to say more about you than the film.
Some of the films that have appeared on this thread, I'm curious to see now, as I know their authors have criticized hall of fame films and know that if they have mentioned a film I haven't seen then it probably is good.
This thread could easily have been called "irrelevant members of society - your dullest films please"

You come across as a teenager, who because they think soemthnig is great, like totally, then others must be irrlelevant, and it is Ok to insult them. I don't like City of God. get over it.

I haven't bothered to watch The Village, because Shamlyamanwotsit has painted himself into a rather tight corner - I read a review of it and, knowing that there would be some kind of twist, guessed the correct ending without having seen a second of it.

kyser_soze said:
AFAIC Shaylaman has gone steadily downhill since Sisxth Sense and is as massively overrated screenwriter and whoever let him stand behind a camera should be shot.
i've only seen the sixth sense, and that was fucking dull. but to be fair, the same people who thought it was a classic seemed to love the matrix too. which was also shit. i never listen to their opinions any more...

Teenagers and silly comments

Ryazan said:
You come across as a teenager, who because they think soemthnig is great, like totally, then others must be irrlelevant, and it is Ok to insult them. I don't like City of God. get over it.

Opinion is subjective, and maybe it is because i'm a new poster on this site that I find the comments being made about films that are otherwise generally revered, a tad annoying and subsequentally rise to the proverbial bait.
I'm willing to admit that you don't like City of God, but i do recall asking you what is one of your best movies and you made no response.
Can I ask the question of all those posters, who thought I was a little rash in earlier posts.

Unbreakable is one of the greatest films ever made, so ya boo sucks to you all.

Having said that, I thought Sixth Sense was average and The Village was OK.

But Unbreakable is up there with stuff like 2001 a Space Odyssey, to my mind :mad: :) :cool:

muser said:
They are one to watch, the film with meryl streep about a jew polish woman in occupied poland who has to make the decision about which of her children must live. I can't remember the title, but saw a little of it at work (while in my break) and thought it was brilliant.
Sophies Choice.

ott mawkish pish imo, but what the hey.

muser said:
The point to this film flew over your head, stick to XXX and other vin (can't act, won't act) diesel classics
Then perhaps you would care to explain to those of us lacking your towering intellect what the point of the film is. :rolleyes:

muser said:
Opinion is subjective, and maybe it is because i'm a new poster on this site that I find the comments being made about films that are otherwise generally revered, a tad annoying and subsequentally rise to the proverbial bait.
I'm willing to admit that you don't like City of God, but i do recall asking you what is one of your best movies and you made no response.
Can I ask the question of all those posters, who thought I was a little rash in earlier posts.

as it stands, i agree with a lot of your opinions, but do you really think that the fact that films are generally revered should have the SLIGHTEST bearing on this thread?

you need to calm down a bit

Donna Ferentes said:
I chose not to watch it.

'Donna's Choice'

Muser...the whole notion of getting upset about 'revered' films (and I'd like to find the critic circle who 'revere' The Village) is pointless - I adore some truly awful movies for bizarre reasons from specific camerawork/direction to cute leading ladies/men.

For example, I LOVE Legends of the Fall and stuff like Merchant Ivory movies. I also quite enjoy the guilty pleasures of DdeP's Bonfire of the Vanities.

But to say that any film is above criticism is silly - all movies have their flaws.

kyser_soze said:
I also quite enjoy the guilty pleasures of DdeP's Bonfire of the Vanities.

Really? Christ.

For some reason I've seen Empire Records about 8 times. Bloody Awful - and fairly irritating to boot. Quite nice chicks though. Probably.

nick1181 said:
For some reason I've seen Empire Records about 8 times. Bloody Awful - and fairly irritating to boot. Quite nice chicks though. Probably.

it's a well-executed movie - no great masterpiece, but enjoyable fluff. rory cochrane is a nob though. and it's maxwell caulfield's best performance since 'grease 2' ;)

muser said:

:confused:

*marks down as fifth form rebel*

• Angela's Ashes
  • True Confessions
  • Wonderland.
  • Matrix 2 (revalations?resolotions?rennovations i forget already)
  • Panic In Needle park
  • I Robot
  • the day after tommorow
  • the hulk

Dubversion said:
as old as that?

i thought fairly well-read 3rd former

i rilly, rilly hope they're not a third year, because with a stinky thumb-up-arse attitude like that they're not going to make friends or influence people...

that Ed Wood film about aliens, using porcelain saucers hanging from bits of string to impersonate UFO's- for 4 hours and 45 minutes....:rolleyes: :mad:

maya said:
that Ed Wood film about aliens, using porcelain saucers hanging from bits of string to impersonate UFO's- for 4 hours and 45 minutes....:rolleyes: :mad:
You mean the Tim Burton film Ed Wood (surely not!) or Plan Nine From Outer Space?

Surely the latter? The former features one of Bill Murray's finest performances (and that's saying something) as Bunny Breckinridge, not to mention Martin Landau's (richly deserved) Oscar winning Bela Lugosi.

Actually speaking of Bill Murray, I found that Lost in Translation to be fairly diabolical. It's a chick/bloke thing I think. Girls all seem to like it.

Back
Top Bottom