Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dullest Film Ever

Citizen Kane is the rare film entirely thought through in how to tell a story in visual terms, it's endlessly inventive in how it employs the camera, editing and special effects. Any one-sentence synopsis as a reason to dismiss it is genuinely missing the point of a film which invented its own visual language. I find the film endlessly watchable because I still discover new details all the time. I can't imagine anybody genuinely interested in film getting bored by it. If that makes me condescending again, fuck it and "fuck you" in advance.

Last edited:
Ah yes, my mistake. I'm sure I will realise how wrong I am once I receive proper instruction in watching films appropriately so as to align my opinion with apparent critical consensus. :thumbs:
Instructions above and fuck you ! :D

I'd agree that Citizen Kane offers something new with every viewing. It's a wonderful film in many ways and deserves all the accolades it receives....

....I have no idea if I've been watching it the right way though.

Absolutely.

The presence of the supremely untalented WA as an actor has fucked up some otherwise decent films.

Anyone who thinks otherwise is watching them wrong.

I saw my first WA film as a kid, back in the 70s. "Take the Money and Run" - always loved his stuff. Mind you, I haven't seen anything he's done since Blue Jasmine. Which he wasn't in, iirc.

2001 the book is a different experience to 2001 the film. One is C Clarke telling you a story, a good one. The other is really kubrik telling it. I don't know how either could bore anyone.

2001 the book is a different experience to 2001 the film. One is C Clarke telling you a story, a good one. The other is really kubrik telling it. I don't know how either could bore anyone.

Even the kids can enjoy it!

Monolith-Action-Figure-from-2001-A-Space-Odyssey.jpg

It is possible to just disagree with the story being told though. I hated the film and disliked the book. Sorry.

No, I disliked the premise at the start of 2001 for idealogical reasons.

That the arrival of the monolith co-incided with a momentous step in the evolutionary development of humankind?

I could have misinterpreted that - I'm sure Reno will set me straight.

That the arrival of the monolith co-incided with a momentous step in the evolutionary development of humankind?

I could have misinterpreted that - I'm sure Reno will set me straight.

No, more that the first tool use was for violence for very little reason, I find that premise more disturbing than a Western with cowboys shooting at one another.

Back
Top Bottom