Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Drug Goes From $13.50 a Tablet to $750 overnight after buy out by hedge fund start up

I've always been fascinated by the fashion industry and fashion magazines. They are exploitative to the core. If you really listen to many of the designers featured in these magazines, they don't actually like women very much, and their clothes aren't designed for most women.
There's an interview with the journalist who wrote that piece for Elle. Seems fairly legit, at least from the journalist's persective. The photoshoot was a surpise to her too:

Last edited:
There's an interview with the journalist who wrote that piece for Elle. Seems fairly legit, at least from the journalist's persective. The photoshoot was a surpise to her too:

Thanks for posting that - I disagree entirely that its fairly legit, and if anything I feel even more uncomfortable about the original article than I did before, but at least it does honestly relate how these journalists see themselves (and nowhere better than in this bit):

We’re talking about ethical issues in journalism. Part of it is, when you’re a journalist writing a story, you’re asking people to put their lives out there for the story. I’ve done that with incarcerated people, and I’ve done that with people who have lost their children and people in really difficult situations. The best thing you can do with a journalist is tell their story fairly and accurately and make sure they completely understand what they’re getting into.

Which (to me at least) reads as if its "I am going to make money out of you; you understand that, right?"

Last time I checked the drug company hadn't lowered the price back down to a more reasonable level after Shkreli's arrest. They get the best of both worlds. They can blame the price increase on someone else and still make major money from it.

Last time I checked the drug company hadn't lowered the price back down to a more reasonable level after Shkreli's arrest. They get the best of both worlds. They can blame the price increase on someone else and still make major money from it.

That's fucked up. :(

It seems the authorities use competition law to tackle this behaviour in the UK

An orphan drug is one like daraprim, a drug with limited usage, but the only one available to treat the condition.

One of the most expensive orphans is dantrolene. it is used to treat malignant hyperthermia.

sVn6ETZ.jpg

Not so many incidents since halothane stopped being the anaesthetic of choice, even then very very uncommon.

We kept it, and replaced it when it went out of date, never saw it used.

Once Upon A Time In Shaolin to get second life?

The group that bought it can share it amongst themselves but not release it to the general public under the terms of purchase due to copyright law. So it will be interesting to see how they do it.

Looks like a "pump and dump":

Martin Shkreli — the notorious "Pharma Bro" who was just released from prison in May after being sentenced to seven years because of securities fraud — just dumped a massive chunk of his own cryptocurrency, causing its value to tank.

In July, Shkreli launched a new Web3 project called Druglike despite being banned from the pharmaceutical industry for life. He also launched his own cryptocurrency called Martin Shkreli Inu. Yesterday, Bloomberg reported that a wallet most likely belonging to Shkreli sold off more than 160 billion tokens, causing its value to drop by 90 percent.

If this isn't illegal, it should be. I do wonder, however, why anyone would trust investing money in a scheme cooked up by a man willing to let sick people die to line his own pockets. If he's willing to do that, why would he balk at screwing anyone else?

Last edited:
update. articles may be euro'd, sry.

"After Shkreli signed on in October with the Queens-based nonprofit Hour Children — which helps incarcerated and formerly incarcerated women and their children — he failed to hit his 20-hour-per-month community service mark, the papers say.

Shkreli told probation officials Hour Children “was not responsive with giving him a schedule to complete the community service and that their availability did not work with his weekday schedule,” Probation Officer Ivette Farfan wrote"

"Martin Shkreli, the former pharmaceutical chief executive officer who served almost seven years in prison for securities fraud, is earning $2,500 a month consulting for a law firm and living with his sister in Queens, New York, according to the US Probation Office."

That's fucked up. :(

It seems the authorities use competition law to tackle this behaviour in the UK

They try to, there were some fairly shady practices going on whilst Pfizer had Lyrica (Pregabalin) still on patent and Ozempic/Wegovy (semaglutide) is very much subject to similar market manipulation as far as I can tell.

Ozempic in particular can be exceptionally difficult to get hold of on occasion. My pharmacist does a remarkable job locating any at all some months.

update

Shkreli, the investor and convicted securities fraudster widely referred to as “Pharma Bro,” has claimed that he and Barron Trump, the former president’s youngest son, are behind the launch of the mysterious DJT crypto token, following a rally in the price of the meme coin on rumors of its purported link to Donald Trump, the presumptive Republican candidate in a third consecutive presidential election.

Back
Top Bottom