Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Driving from London to South Devon - M4/M5 or A303??

Have you considered Motorail from Kensington Olympia to Newton Abbot?

ScannedImage-3-1.jpg

I think at one time it was actually cheaper to go motorail than book four separate tickets for a family to travel on a normal service. You got a first class carriage too. I think it pissed away money and was long gone before privatisation, but I can remember seeing the motorail trains passing along the line at the top of my road in the 70s.

I listen to the traffic reports and see whats happening. The M4/M5 bit can be a disaster area sometimes. If so I'll try the 303 but that can get in a mess with everyone else doing the same thing.

Basically, both can be a nightmare and you never really know until its too late. I prefer the 303 though, mainly because of Stonehenge and because I play a medley of tb-303 based acid house tunes in the roads honour. :)

tbf I have changed my opinion on the 303, BB1 is in her 3rd year at uni in Plymouth so the M4/5 vs 303 question comes up a lot, Waze always says 303, have done the M4/5 a couple of times (once needed to pop in to a place in Bristol), and each time there's been horrific jams. Would rather motorway tbh, our car is German and made for motorway cruising, but it is far faster to 303 it, plus there's a nice charging station near Honiton which works well for us. So if trashpony ever sorts their life out and adds a poll I'd like to vote 303 please.

I know the motorways are further as the crow flies but I had a nightmare journey last time I went on the A303 so I'm a bit reluctant. Although end of half term, the A303 should be busy going in the other direction rather that East to West shouldn't it?

What say you urbs?
Are you nearly there, yet?

Back
Top Bottom