Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Drawing the line (Qatar)

I opened the thread questioning where you should draw the line. I suspect there a less ethical issues with lower league FA cup than there are with the World cup.
I think they are the same ethical issues personally and football is littered with them. Should we support a corrupt world cup? Should players refuse to play at the Emirates or Etihad? Should everyone refuse to play against Newcastle? Because in all those instances someone has taken money from corrupt dictatorships to better their club.

I think they are the same ethical issues personally and football is littered with them. Should we support a corrupt world cup? Should players refuse to play at the Emirates or Etihad? Should everyone refuse to play against Newcastle? Because in all those instances someone has taken money from corrupt dictatorships to better their club.
In which case I should probably give up supporting or following ALL sport, not just football?

There's very little that's not corrupt but as far as I know several thousand people haven't died building stadiums in the UK.

In which case I should probably give up supporting or following ALL sport, not just football?
Well quite. But thats why I'm essentially shrugging my shoulders and enjoying the world cup. There isn't a professional sport that doesn't take from sketchy regimes or horrible corporations. I think it's possible to love football but hate the administration that runs it.

Well quite. But thats why I'm essentially shrugging my shoulders and enjoying the world cup. There isn't a professional sport that doesn't take from sketchy regimes or horrible corporations. I think it's possible to love football but hate the administration that runs it.
It's just the administration though. It's the clubs, the players and even the fans.
Rotten to the core. 😰

Oh for the innocent and pure halcyon days of jumpers for goalposts and sugar butties after school :thumbs:
Well, I still remember that and still remember the joy that football can give me. That's why I'm still watching because football is still the greatest sport on the planet. Not because of FIFA or the FA or jack Warner or sepp Blatter. But because of the players and the fans.

It's just the administration though. It's the clubs, the players and even the fans.
Rotten to the core. 😰
I assume there is a missing not in there?

I'm not sure you can blame the players and not all fans are naughty, it's just that the naughty ones are very loud. The clubs are generally cunts though.

Well, I still remember that and still remember the joy that football can give me. That's why I'm still watching because football is still the greatest sport on the planet. Not because of FIFA or the FA or jack Warner or sepp Blatter. But because of the players and the fans.
Sorry, can't find much time for the overpaid, arrogant, cheating prima donnas. Find it difficult to have much respect or belief in them.

There is a gradient for what constitutes as morally wrong, and I'd say FIFA and Qatar are beyond that amorphous and fuzzy line. That said, I don't see how you can boycott something that is already happening and being beamed out on TV regardless. Me not watching a couple of matches has little to no economic impact on anyone.

The event should have been contested by reminding sponsors what they are aligning their products with. Furthermore, the time for this was soon after Qatar was suggested as a host.

As for football, it's been lurching in a very shit direction for sometime. As an immediate solution, it needs mechanics that address the massive market imbalances that exist, but that won't happen because the big clubs will threaten to break away and do their own thing again.

Excellent Jacobin podcast on Qatar and general football dodginess.

Sorry, can't find much time for the overpaid, arrogant, cheating prima donnas. Find it difficult to have much respect or belief in them.
That's a small percentage of players world wide though. The huge majority of pro players worldwide earn little, have short careers and are always one foul away from retirement.

As for the players who are making big bucks, they are taking their cut of the big pie offered to them by sky. If they didn't then it would all be going direct to the chairmen.

If nothing else the world cup might have raised some people's awareness of the issues involved, if only for 5 minutes.
On the other hand, The authorities do have a moral compass, albeit a very low one. Advertising by tobacco companies has been banned. Is alcohol sponsorship also banned? Then there is talk of banning sponsorship and advertising by betting companies. Owners of UK clubs do have to pass a fit and proper test, but not sure this means very much.

If nothing else the world cup might have raised some people's awareness of the issues involved, if only for 5 minutes.
On the other hand, The authorities do have a moral compass, albeit a very low one. Advertising by tobacco companies has been banned. Is alcohol sponsorship also banned? Then there is talk of banning sponsorship and advertising by betting companies. Owners of UK clubs do have to pass a fit and proper test, but not sure this means very much.
The cigarette ban came from governments, not football itself. If football cared about peoples health they wouldn't advertise coke and mcdonalds (or gambling sites for that matter).

.. and football clubs/broadcasting is drenched in gambling.

Back
Top Bottom