Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ha ha Qatar - 2022 World Cup Qualifying

There's more than one round of play offs??

Must admit, I haven't caught up with the rules this time round.
The 12 play-off teams get split into three groups of four (two seeds, two unseeded). The two seeds play the two unseeded teams in a one-legged tie, before playing the winner of the other tie in their group, in another one-legged tie.

Why is everybody excited about the Scottish game? The game tonight was meaningless wasn't it? They would have been second, no matter what.

Looks like Canada have put themselves in with a cracking chance of qualifying for the World Cup, for only the second time ever, and the first time since 1986.

Capture.PNG
They beat Mexico 2-1 overnight, and I'm hoping I might have another team to support at the World Cup for the first time (Canada is the land of my grandmother).

Meanwhile, over in Oceania, they haven't even started qualifying yet. They're hoping to get it done at some point next year, but they haven't been able to get anything in the diary yet. They need to get something done by June 2022, which is when the winner of the Oceania confederation qualifying process must take part in the inter-confederation play-offs for Qatar.

China look like failing to qualify again despite having four players in the side naturalised purely because they're good footballers.

Thread is now on ignore drawing the line (Qatar)

eric_cantona_dsc8688_love_football_topic_0.png

Full draw ( Portugal will be kicking themselves )

The full draw​

Just a reminder of the full play-off draw, with the semi-finals and final being played days apart in March 2022.
Full semi-final draw
Scotland
v Ukraine
Wales v Austria
Russia v Poland
Sweden v Czech Republic
Portugal v Turkey
Italy v North Macedonia

Final draw
Wales
or Austria v Scotland or Ukraine
Russia v Poland v Sweden or Czech Republic
Portugal or Turkey v Italy or North Macedonia
Semi-finals due to be played 24 March, the final on the 29 March.

Full draw ( Portugal will be kicking themselves )

The full draw​

Just a reminder of the full play-off draw, with the semi-finals and final being played days apart in March 2022.
Full semi-final draw
Scotland
v Ukraine
Wales v Austria
Russia v Poland
Sweden v Czech Republic
Portugal v Turkey
Italy v North Macedonia

Final draw
Wales
or Austria v Scotland or Ukraine
Russia v Poland v Sweden or Czech Republic
Portugal or Turkey v Italy or North Macedonia
Semi-finals due to be played 24 March, the final on the 29 March.
as good as Wales could have hoped for that

The convoluted seedings/semi finals (one leg) are nothing to the Europa Conference League format I looked into last night.

Look at the table halfway down this wiki page.

All for the right of playing again on a Thursday night next year. Bizarre,

Looks like Canada have put themselves in with a cracking chance of qualifying for the World Cup, for only the second time ever, and the first time since 1986.

View attachment 297132
They beat Mexico 2-1 overnight, and I'm hoping I might have another team to support at the World Cup for the first time (Canada is the land of my grandmother).

You'll have them in 2026. Joint hosts with USA and Mexico.

How do you have six matches for the semi-finals, and three matches for a final? This has confused me for some while now.

View attachment 297132
Another victory for Canada against USA yesterday puts them four points clear at the top of their qualifying group, five points clear of the final qualifying spot and virtually certain of making at least the play off (and realistically, looking pretty much nailed on to qualify automatically now).

Their manager is the same (English) guy who led their women's team at two Olympics. It's a real feel good story.

Back
Top Bottom