Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Drawing the line (Qatar)

This could have it's own thread, but as per thread title, where do you draw the line? Yes it's already here, sure, but the Saudi elite are rotten and it's them and supposed democracies symbiotically propping each other up as the world and the children's children get fuck all. As a sometime Liverpool fan, I've lost any faith now. There's people I totally respect in sporting and ability terms but there are many absolute wankers too. But it isn't about that so much - whatever comes next: a mega rich and somehow ethically acceptable funder (can't be obvs) still sees you in a 'sporting' competition with the scum of the earth backed up by our own execrable lot.

I saw this report earlier it's mind boggling and disgusting if it's correct! :bigeyes: :( :mad:

In the chart below, The Washington Post compared the number of deaths of construction workers involved in the last four Olympics and two World Cups to the staggering (and ongoing) death toll in Qatar.

Chart via The Washington Post. Image 1.
Chart via The Washington Post

The Washington Post added the following update: This story has been updated to reflect the fact that figures include total migrant worker deaths in Qatar, not just World Cup-related deaths.

Regardless, the facts remain the same: at least 12,000 migrant workers have lost their lives in Qatar since they started preparing for the 2022 World Cup in 2010, providing further evidence for the fact that FIFA is the worst.

To be fair, the Qatar's did attempt some honesty about the activities of their neighbours - and Saudi responded by rolling tanks up to the border and closing relations. They are a minnow between two jealous, acrimonious and aggressive states.

It would be lovely if Qatar wasn't a fuedal state - but how realistic is that?

I saw this report earlier it's mind boggling and disgusting if it's correct! :bigeyes: :( :mad:

In the chart below, The Washington Post compared the number of deaths of construction workers involved in the last four Olympics and two World Cups to the staggering (and ongoing) death toll in Qatar.

Chart via The Washington Post. Image 1.
Chart via The Washington Post

The Washington Post added the following update: This story has been updated to reflect the fact that figures include total migrant worker deaths in Qatar, not just World Cup-related deaths.

Regardless, the facts remain the same: at least 12,000 migrant workers have lost their lives in Qatar since they started preparing for the 2022 World Cup in 2010, providing further evidence for the fact that FIFA is the worst.
As horrible as that graphic is, it looks off by a factor of 10. It only shows 1200 deaths of workers in Qatar, not 12,000.

I saw my first England window flags on a car today which made me realise that in other competitions I have seen far more at this point in the competition. Is this just here or repeated across the country?

Personally I am not sure if its the dress or the fact that they have swords that is the problem

I thought the Crusader armies were mainly French and German?

Also, Saladin himself set the punishment for being a Crusader - he tended to be magnanimous after victory but after defeat, it was wholesale death by beheading.

So it seems they got-off very lightly, considering Qatar lost..!

British expats... not racists, but victims of those notoriously woke organisations, FIFA and the Qatari police. :(

Speaking for the first time, the two men, who did not wish to be named, told the Telegraph they were “definitely not racists” and claimed they had been dressed as knights from Monty Python rather than Crusaders.

Both are British expats who have lived in Doha for several years.

“It was ridiculous,” one of the men said. “We turned up and the police first told us we couldn’t take the swords in, even though they are made out of foam. Then a captain came running after us saying we couldn’t wear the chainmail.

“At one point one of them asked 'Are you Muslim killers?' Of course we aren’t Crusaders. We’ve lived here for years and we have no problems with Muslims at all - we work with them every day.

“It took two and half hours before they eventually let us in, wearing England shirts. This is just total woke madness. I blame Fifa. You can’t wear anything nowadays without someone taking offence.”

Someone said early in the thread that they won't watch it as they won't enjoy knowing that so many died building the stadiums etc. I thought that applied to me but realised that I am choosing not to watch because I think I could still enjoy it.

Could be interesting
Nah For any despot looking to stash their cash somewhere safe as an hedge against revolution, London is THE place to be. They're just having a mard in the hope that the UK Govt will tell TfL to behave itself.
The concept of any public organisation not just blindly doing what it is told is alien to them.

I saw my first England window flags on a car today which made me realise that in other competitions I have seen far more at this point in the competition. Is this just here or repeated across the country?

I haven't seen any but I think that's been the trend over the last few tournaments tbh - there's definitely been much fewer than there used to be ten or twenty years ago.

I thought the Joe Lycett stunt was inspired. I for one, am glad public perception has finally caught up with Beckham.

This could be the downfall of national labrador David Beckham
Doubtful and this springs to mind; the Beckhams already have property in neighbouring Dubai ( for which this awful link almost seems appropriate). They may have many more places in the area.

I've ended watching bits of two matches, Eng v USA and Mexico v Argentina. Couldn't stomach it. Turned both off within half an hour of turning on (turned on part way through both). Just felt all wrong on so many levels.

Not looking forward to seeing which butchers end up buying United.

I've ended watching bits of two matches, Eng v USA and Mexico v Argentina. Couldn't stomach it. Turned both off within half an hour of turning on (turned on part way through both). Just felt all wrong on so many levels.

Not looking forward to seeing which butchers end up buying United.
Because of my working hours I could have watched every match, but have only seen the odd clip on the news. Currently enjoying decent, honest FA cup footie which is now showing live. 👍👏

Because of my working hours I could have watched every match, but have only seen the odd clip on the news. Currently enjoying decent, honest FA cup footie which is now showing live. 👍👏
The FA cup? You mean the Emirates FA Cup? The Emirates being owned by the Dubai based House of Maktoum? They kidnap and torture people don't they? In fact, they abducted someone from the streets of Cambridge.

Haha, are you for real?

hash tag: I refuse to watch the World Cup due to the Qatari state's human rights record. Instead I choose to watch the honest and pure FA Cup.

souljacker: but what about the human rights record of the FA Cup's main sponsor?

hash tag: I choose to ignore that.

:D
I opened the thread questioning where you should draw the line. I suspect there a less ethical issues with lower league FA cup than there are with the World cup.

Back
Top Bottom