Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Drag Queen Story Times picketed by protestors who claim that it grooms children and promotes paedophilia

To put things in context a former Rebublican member of the Mississippi House of Representatives recently called for those who groom children into "pretending men can become women" to face the firing squad whilst Mark Burns, a Republican congressional candidate who was close to Donald Trump, has said that parents and teachers who communicate with children about LGBT issues should be treated as traitors and executed. In a district in Wisconsin every shool was forced to close before the Summer break due to the number of bomb threats received after a school investigated a complaint from a child about misgendering. There have been numerous attacks on LGBT venues and events including an armed gang who were intercepted on their way to a Pride event. Some more liberal states are implementing trans refugee style laws to protect trans people and parents of trans children fleeing trans hostile states in similar ways they are attempting to protect women fleeing to access reproductive healthcare. There are laws being tabled attack every aspect of trans people's lives with some states coming very close to legislation which will enforce gender conformity and make being trans in public illegal. And LGB people are not far behind with a growing number of attacks on LGB teachers, LGB supportive books being banned and laws being planned to scrap gay marriage and even re-criminalise sodomy.

Many of the groups and individuals lobbying for these attacks on LGBT lives are using the exact same language as gender critical activists in the UK and there is significant co-operation between the two groups. What is actually taking place in some US States is the elimination of transgenderism using social, legal and medical means - the openly stated long term aim of many trans hostile feminists. And more than one has stated they need to concede women's reproductive rights because the trans issue to too important and gender critical feminists should work with the extreme conservative right against trans people.

It is not hyperbole to recognise what's going on, and it is not the case that these protests against drag queens in the UK are something which have been transported from the US, quite the opposite in fact. It is also not the case that they are only supported by fascists, there was clearly a gender critical element at the Reading protest who are being lauded as heroes by some on mumsnet. People should be angry about this and if a bunch of straight people who are completely ingorant about the scope, culture and history of drag want to have a discussion about how terrible it is then perhaps take it to another thread.

I think it’s fair enough to say that here isn’t the place to discuss misogyny in drag. I don’t think it’s beyond criticism because it’s something done by gay men, but appreciate this might not have been the place for a wider discussion.

I do also think anyone who wants to do drag or expose their kids to drag should be able to. I don’t think it’s dangerous to kids.

To put things in context a former Rebublican member of the Mississippi House of Representatives recently called for those who groom children into "pretending men can become women" to face the firing squad whilst Mark Burns, a Republican congressional candidate who was close to Donald Trump, has said that parents and teachers who communicate with children about LGBT issues should be treated as traitors and executed. In a district in Wisconsin every shool was forced to close before the Summer break due to the number of bomb threats received after a school investigated a complaint from a child about misgendering. There have been numerous attacks on LGBT venues and events including an armed gang who were intercepted on their way to a Pride event. Some more liberal states are implementing trans refugee style laws to protect trans people and parents of trans children fleeing trans hostile states in similar ways they are attempting to protect women fleeing to access reproductive healthcare. There are laws being tabled attack every aspect of trans people's lives with some states coming very close to legislation which will enforce gender conformity and make being trans in public illegal. And LGB people are not far behind with a growing number of attacks on LGB teachers, LGB supportive books being banned and laws being planned to scrap gay marriage and even re-criminalise sodomy.

Many of the groups and individuals lobbying for these attacks on LGBT lives are using the exact same language as gender critical activists in the UK and there is significant co-operation between the two groups. What is actually taking place in some US States is the elimination of transgenderism using social, legal and medical means - the openly stated long term aim of many trans hostile feminists. And more than one has stated they need to concede women's reproductive rights because the trans issue to too important and gender critical feminists should work with the extreme conservative right against trans people.

It is not hyperbole to recognise what's going on, and it is not the case that these protests against drag queens in the UK are something which have been transported from the US, quite the opposite in fact. It is also not the case that they are only supported by fascists, there was clearly a gender critical element at the Reading protest who are being lauded as heroes by some on mumsnet. People should be angry about this and if a bunch of straight people who are completely ingorant about the scope, culture and history of drag want to have a discussion about how terrible it is then perhaps take it to another thread.

Thanks for the post.

There's a very disturbing trend in the US (and other countries) ... this "culture war" on "woke" ... is the thin end of the wedge.

There's dangerous, hideously dangerous and deranged people out there who want us erased.

It's not just trolls, it's going mainstream and it's frightening.

All the rights, progress and acceptance that have been fought for could be crushed.

Being complacent and/or dismissive... being told to hold back on the drama - it's not helpful.

also...

Thanks for this. I was really angry last night and was going to post again today about the extremely dangerous situation that is emerging around these issues in the UK and US. However, you've said everything that I've wanted to say!

Thanks for this. I was really angry last night and was going to post again today about the extremely dangerous situation that is emerging around these issues in the UK and US. However, you've said everything that I've wanted to say!
It's good to be angry. In fact, would say it's essential. Far better than being quiet or indifferent to it.

The road to fascism is lined with people telling us not to overreact.

Yeah, I've been leery about the supposed rise of fascism in the past. I think the last vestiges of my doubt about the approaching socio-political storm front (pun intended) disappeared around the tail end of the Trump administration. If it's not textbook fascism, then it's definitely awful people in positions of wealth and power who are doing their damnedest to push the world in a direction they favour. That should be enough to make any decent person concerned about the direction of things.

That's what "they" want.
They want it not to happen.
It will, but still not looking forward to it. I don’t want colleagues being threatened and young children and parents being frightened and upset.
I have volunteered to support, but they may decide that it’s best not to have too many staff on as it may provoke people who are waiting to be provoked

It will, but still not looking forward to it. I don’t want colleagues being threatened and young children and parents being frightened and upset.
I have volunteered to support, but they may decide that it’s best not to have too many staff on as it may provoke people who are waiting to be provoked
There's more antifascists in Brighton than this particular cult. Brighton is used to this, trust the antifascists. Just concentrate on the event and providing reassurance and trust other people to make sure the far right don't arrive.

The fear is what the far right rely on. They're hoping for a cancellation.

Oh, I must have missed something, are these loons are turning-up on your patch, on Saturday?

• Sad
Reactions: Ax^
Are you saying that you and you're colleagues are to scared to go ahead as usual. Are you saying that you need help to just go ahead as usual?

hmm have you and your team reach out to any local group for support may be able to get other assistance if required
or if you be contacted and threaten at least have the useless police on notify
]

There's more antifascists in Brighton than this particular cult. Brighton is used to this, trust the antifascists. Just concentrate on the event and providing reassurance and trust other people to make sure the far right don't arrive.
I’m not talking about Brighton. I’m in Leeds.

They'll receive the welcome they deserve

My thoughts on seeing they are coming down to Brighton were [1] oh, I should hop on the train over, [2] bollocks, I've got a roofer coming round Thur. morning, [3] it's Brighton you twat, they can manage. :D

I must try and find out if they are planning to visit Worthing, is there a link to where they are planning to demonstrate?

Back
Top Bottom