Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Drag Queen Story Times picketed by protestors who claim that it grooms children and promotes paedophilia

The list of dates for DQST is here: Drag Queen Story Hour Summer Tour 2022
I'd expect all of them to be at least potential targets for demos. Guessing a lot of the actual demo organising will probably be on Telegram and the like? Anyway, Worthing doesn't seem to be on there.

None around here for some reason. Possibly no bad thing as I don't think I'd be able to look one of these 'protestors' in the eye without throat punching one of them.

There are strange local government rules about political activity that I am going to ask my union about later this week

My understanding is you have either to be quite senior level in local government, or in what's legally a 'politically restricted role' (and it would be in your contract if this was the case) not to be allowed to be politically active (although you can't be a councillor for the same council you work for no matter what grade) and don't think even taking part in a (lawful) protest would count as political activity.

There may be catch-all things like 'bringing the council in to disrepute' if you do anything they really don't like - i have a vague feeling that one or two people might have been turfed out of council jobs for (off duty) far right activity for example.

Having said that, I was never entirely comfortable with the idea of being politically active (not, i hasten to add for the avoidance of any confusion, on the far right) when i was a council employee.

Aye, which is why I’m checking with them first rather than just showing up on my day off

Would agree about seeing if union and / or local management have a view on this. Would have thought colleagues on duty would probably welcome a few extra people, but could be kind of complicated if you're there but not on duty (although if it's open to the public presume there's nothing to stop you being there as a customer) and get involved in any way.

One alternative - would it be possible to offer to swap rest days with a colleague who might be more nervous than you about being there on the day?

Thanks, especially for that last paragraph. Hadn’t even considered that :oops:

Yes - I was always told that anything I put in a letter or e-mail could end up in the local paper, and you never know if the 'member of the public' making an 'innocent enquiry' is actually an activist for an opposition political party or a pressure group.

And (while there's certain legal restrictions about recording phone calls that these twunts probably don't take any notice of) anything you say on the phone could be quoted elsewhere. I had one or two occasions where I could tell that some twunt was trying to get me to say something indiscreet (once on political grounds, once it appeared he was just a twunt who enjoyed complaining about everything possible - i think he got as far as councillors and assistant director because he didn't like the way a bus driver said 'good morning' to him.)

Hope it goes OK for you and colleagues however it works out.

My thoughts on seeing they are coming down to Brighton were [1] oh, I should hop on the train over, [2] bollocks, I've got a roofer coming round Thur. morning, [3] it's Brighton you twat, they can manage. :D

I must try and find out if they are planning to visit Worthing, is there a link to where they are planning to demonstrate?
Google twats on tour

My understanding is you have either to be quite senior level in local government, or in what's legally a 'politically restricted role' (and it would be in your contract if this was the case) not to be allowed to be politically active (although you can't be a councillor for the same council you work for no matter what grade) and don't think even taking part in a (lawful) protest would count as political activity.

There may be catch-all things like 'bringing the council in to disrepute' if you do anything they really don't like - i have a vague feeling that one or two people might have been turfed out of council jobs for (off duty) far right activity for example.

Having said that, I was never entirely comfortable with the idea of being politically active (not, i hasten to add for the avoidance of any confusion, on the far right) when i was a council employee.

Would agree about seeing if union and / or local management have a view on this. Would have thought colleagues on duty would probably welcome a few extra people, but could be kind of complicated if you're there but not on duty (although if it's open to the public presume there's nothing to stop you being there as a customer) and get involved in any way.

One alternative - would it be possible to offer to swap rest days with a colleague who might be more nervous than you about being there on the day?

Yes - I was always told that anything I put in a letter or e-mail could end up in the local paper, and you never know if the 'member of the public' making an 'innocent enquiry' is actually an activist for an opposition political party or a pressure group.

And (while there's certain legal restrictions about recording phone calls that these twunts probably don't take any notice of) anything you say on the phone could be quoted elsewhere. I had one or two occasions where I could tell that some twunt was trying to get me to say something indiscreet (once on political grounds, once it appeared he was just a twunt who enjoyed complaining about everything possible - i think he got as far as councillors and assistant director because he didn't like the way a bus driver said 'good morning' to him.)

Contract if employment should say if it’s a politically restricted role

I've been in a situation like that (not in my current job) in which I could see rather plainly that I was being led into criticising the company I worked for - I hated the job and the company. so I shared my opinion anyway and then gave my name as Malcolm. I've used that name again on a few occasions. Malcolm is a rude cunt who doesn't suffer fools gladly.

Anyway, I've just found out that the event I mentioned has been cancelled as has another. Because of the brouhaha and the safety of those locations. :mad: :(
One event IS going ahead, which I shall attend pending on further Union advice,

Malcolm is a rude cunt
call-out

* reports post *

:p

(one place i worked, we had a completely fictitious senior manager, whose name was given to annoying sales-people. he was out of the office when they called. this was before e-mail addresses were a thing. heck, it was when fax machines were new and exciting)

Anyway, I've just found out that the event I mentioned has been cancelled as has another.

:mad:

There are 3 events in oxford and ive just registered to go to one. Seems like a really nice event and at the moment feels like the most I can do is show solidarity when 'my' community is under attack

When are you going?
I assume you’ll report back. :)

They are, it's a well publicised tour. They did change timings the other day to beat the TWATS but the dates are public knowledge. Unless there has been a change in the last couple of days that I don't know about. hitmouse was posting links. And right to do so IMO, I don't think we're in to undercover drag storytime just yet.

The inability to recognise the political aspect is interesting.

I’m not sure drag is harmless. Cross dressing is not the same as drag. How do you think it feels for women to be parodied? How does that parody work in the context of misogyny and power relationships between genders? Why is it hilarious and risqué for a man to dress up and affect being a ‘woman’? What might a little girl take from seeing her gender represented like that?

I generally think dismantling gender enforced norms is a healthy thing, and I love what Harry Styles is doing.

But to suggest drag isn’t political is … what is it?

Yes, can see that point.

Whilst I agree with the wider point about drag, ie cis men dressing up as women as a pastiche to stereotype, mock and ridicule them (vs trans people, who do not seek to do that, but rather to be accepted). I do not think this is something that concerns the Americanised far right loons who protest at these events - they see it (drag) as something sexual and ergo grooming, which it isn't. It's even more puzzling in the UK, given the tradition of pantomime.

I do think the deep mysogyny that is a central component of drag acts needs examining, but in this context (ie sexualisation) it is something of a tangent?

They are, it's a well publicised tour. They did change timings the other day to beat the TWATS but the dates are public knowledge. Unless there has been a change in the last couple of days that I don't know about. hitmouse was posting links. And right to do so IMO, I don't think we're in to undercover drag storytime just yet.
I know, i just now regret posting this thread.
Not sure there was a need to post it when it could be found elsewhere on the net, but then the same would apply to anyone with malicious purposes I suppose

But that's assuming that all drag is intended to be, or comes across as a parody. I don't think that's always the case, I think it is often a tribute, or a celebration of a certain kind of femininity - or even effeminacy - or even just outrageous non-conformity.
But these are men, cis men. They are not female, they have no idea what it is like to be a woman in society. Just because certain homophobes use femininity as a reason to mock them (when they are not), it does not make reacting to that by then choosing to parody mysogynistic stereotypes of women any less mysogynistic. They are choosing to parody women as a reaction to this, to punch downwards and to show that men, even gay men can mock and ridicule women in society and not only get away with it, but be celebrated for it.

It isn't really a wider point though is it - it's a different point. Some drag queens have fascists chanting that they're paedophiles at their workplaces, and widening the discussion means talking about what's problematic about drag?

There are many things I could take issue with, for example, some black evangelical christian churches teaching on homosexuality, or conservative islamic approaches to women's role in society - things much less ambiguous or arguable than this. Would the right time to raise those things be when their churches and mosques are under attack from fascists, on a thread started to talk about those attacks? I'd get run off the thread.

is it time for a repeat of this post?

have to say that I am also not a fan of those drag race telly shows, but that may be more because the format of a competition tv show, which I find incredibly boring and unedifying and IMO encourages nastiness in people, which all of these competition/reality tv shows (is there an actual word/phrase for this genre of ‘entertainment’?) seem to do and which I don’t find entertaining at all - the biggest of them all caused 3 suicides and is still inexplicably on air and as popular as ever.
Reminds me of the supposed entertainment that some of my fellow humans seem to get from watching other people be cruel to each other, which seems to start at a very young age, watching fights in the playground at school and seeing some people getting off on it.
But in this context, it’s just panto, and no different to people doing story time in gruffalo onesies.

Whilst I agree with the wider point about drag, ie cis men dressing up as women as a pastiche to stereotype, mock and ridicule them (vs trans people, who do not seek to do that, but rather to be accepted). I do not think this is something that concerns the Americanised far right loons who protest at these events - they see it (drag) as something sexual and ergo grooming, which it isn't. It's even more puzzling in the UK, given the tradition of pantomime.

I do think the deep mysogyny that is a central component of drag acts needs examining, but in this context (ie sexualisation) it is something of a tangent?
Drag events are a bit of an acquired taste, but don't offend me in the least. I don't get this argument coming from straight people when the entire society is horribly sexist. Why not complain about...oh idk almost every other book/tv show/song in the last 5000 years

Drag events are a bit an acquired taste, but don't offend me in the least. I don't get this argument coming from straight people when the entire society is horribly sexist.

Would you get it if you pretended it was coming from a gay person?

have to say that I am also not a fan of those drag race telly shows, but that may be more because the format of a competition tv show, which I find incredibly boring and unedifying and IMO encourages nastiness in people, which all of these competition/reality tv shows (is there an actual word/phrase for this genre of ‘entertainment’?) seem to do and which I don’t find entertaining at all - the biggest of them all caused 3 suicides and is still inexplicably on air and as popular as ever.
Reminds me of the supposed entertainment that some of my fellow humans seem to get from watching other people be cruel to each other, which seems to start at a very young age, watching fights in the playground at school and seeing some people getting off on it.
But in this context, it’s just panto, and no different to people doing story time in gruffalo onesies.
Drag has been around a lot longer than the tv show though, I agree I don't like the person who presents it.

Would you get it if you pretended it was coming from a gay person?
My point is that the majority of straight culture, books, movies and yes fairy tales etc, is completely saturated with sexism against women and patriarchal viewpoints, so as a straight person to suddenly start crying yourself to sleep about sexist stereotypes in drag shows is a little odd

Back
Top Bottom