Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Drag Queen Story Times picketed by protestors who claim that it grooms children and promotes paedophilia

Straight people can wind their necks in with the pearl clutching about sexism imo
Actually, women can object to it regardless that they are always at the bottom of the identity politics hierarchy and so ‘not allowed’ according to you.

This is a drag queen from DQST UK presenting as a woman, that we are being told should be seen as a ‘tribute’ or ‘celebration’ of women.
9B83984F-6A7C-4930-A36E-9BC14C653172.png

Does this advance women?

Here’s an actual celebration of women:

47F4084B-ABD7-4AA7-8EBA-167516EBD25F.jpeg

You know nothing about drag, or you're basing your entire opinion of it on the most niche and worst sort of drag (panto)?? You're not describing drag.

Not saying there is never misogyny or other phobia in drag, sure there is, but I've seen them called out and people listen and things change.

Try to think of it less as parody and more homage and celebration. Who do you think the little gay boys grow up idolising?

Do you think that the black and white minstrel show is/was a celebration of African American culture?

Because that's exactly the same argument used to support things like that and other "harmless" tropes

I did yes Santino , I'd probably have phrased it differently though. I'm feeling very anxious at the moment about anti LGBT hatred becoming a serious force in society again and I'm really furious with the people who have allowed themselves to become useful fucking idiots for it. Yes, they can shut the fuck up about drag and other events until they have got their own house in order.

Do you think that the black and white minstrel show is/was a celebration of African American culture?

Because that's exactly the same argument used to support things like that and other "harmless" tropes

No I do not, and I do not think drag is like the black and white minstrel show ffs 🙄

This is like trying to argue that theatre can be culturally enriching, to someone who has only seen one school play.

I did yes Santino , I'd probably have phrased it differently though. I'm feeling very anxious at the moment about anti LGBT hatred becoming a serious force in society again and I'm really furious with the people who have allowed themselves to become useful fucking idiots for it. Yes, they can shut the fuck up about drag and other events until they have got their own house in order.
I'd love everyone to get their houses in order re sexism/misogyny tbh. Until they do though -- and that looks like a very long time coming -- are you really saying I can't talk about it? :confused:

I'd love everyone to get their houses in order re sexism/misogyny tbh. Until they do though -- and that looks like a very long time coming -- are you really saying I can't talk about it? :confused:
Of course you can talk about it!

I'm referring to people complaining about drag events and saying they are somehow intrinsically offensive.

Tory candidates now proposing to bring back a version of section 28 btw because of the moral panic that's been stoked up about this. So yeah sorry if I'm a bit peed off given I was at school when it was still law

Not that I'm disputing your statement but could you ping a link up? Would be interested to read more.

Not that I'm disputing your statement but could you ping a link up? Would be interested to read more.

But in this context, it’s just panto, and no different to people doing story time in gruffalo onesies.
If it's no different to people dressing up as children's characters, then why are they dressing up as drag queens instead?

Must admit I don't have very strong feelings for or against drag as an adult entertainment, but I do find it deeply weird that drag queens have become children's entertainers :confused: Not in a pearl clutching, this is grooming way - I just don't understand why?
Little children would rather see the Gruffalo, Elsa or Spiderman read a story, so this is about adults' preferences rather than childrens'. I don't understand what the aim is.

Cheers.

If it's no different to people dressing up as children's characters, then why are they dressing up as drag queens instead?

Must admit I don't have very strong feelings for or against drag as an adult entertainment, but I do find it deeply weird that drag queens have become children's entertainers :confused: Not in a pearl clutching, this is grooming way - I just don't understand why?
Little children would rather see the Gruffalo, Elsa or Spiderman read a story, so this is about adults' preferences rather than childrens'. I don't understand what the aim is.
Tbh I agree I don't usually like drag because I find people talking in exaggerated high pitched voices for comedy effect annoying :D

I think a big reason is because of the attacks on LGBT people over the last few years, maybe this performer felt that they wanted to provide kids with a role model and introduce LGBT themes in a family friendly way?

They've also written a number of books for children before they started these tours. I've seen family friendly drag events years ago at Reading Pride. Maybe it started as something like that?

Anyway yeah, sorry for losing it but I'm really upset about this, even more that people want to come up with allegedly feminist reasons why this isn't ok etc. It's happening at a library in front of library staff, parents and babies it's not exactly gonna be 150 Days of Sodom is it.

DQST don't keep their reasoning a secret:

"The aim of DQST is to capture the imagination and fun of the gender fluidity of childhood, while giving children a glamorous, positive, and unabashedly queer role model. DQST provides spaces in which kids are able to see people who defy rigid gender restrictions and allow them to imagine a world in which people can present as they wish."

Not sure how dressing up as Gruffalo or whatever would achieve those things...

as has already been said without responding to a particular post, would you think it appropriate to go on a thread about (for example) mosques being attacked by fascists to raise your concerns about gender equality in muslim communities?

One famous British value is a sense of fair play and another support for the underdog. And sunak shows how little the tories care for either

Why are pantomime characters exaggerated? It's an addition of colour and performativity to what you're presenting, because small kids love both these things. I'd think drag lends itself well to that because both elements are there in spades from the get go.

I'd imagine drag queens started volunteering because someone in the community tried it and reported back that they had a good time, while libraries like it because they get a free afternoon performance from someone the kids have fun with.

Are drag queens good lgbt role models or family friendly though? Aren't drag shows sort of bawdy adult comedy/entertainment?
I understand that they tone it down for a library appearance, but it still seems incongruous to me - you could get Magic Mike to put his shirt on and read The Hungry Caterpillar to some kids but why would you?

Why are pantomime characters exaggerated? It's an addition of colour and performativity to what you're presenting, because small kids love both these things. I'd think drag lends itself well to that because both elements are there in spades from the get go.
Why drag and not a children's entertainer though, all popular kid characters and colourful and fun.

DQST don't keep their reasoning a secret:

"The aim of DQST is to capture the imagination and fun of the gender fluidity of childhood, while giving children a glamorous, positive, and unabashedly queer role model. DQST provides spaces in which kids are able to see people who defy rigid gender restrictions and allow them to imagine a world in which people can present as they wish."

Not sure how dressing up as Gruffalo or whatever would achieve those things...
Maybe it was just my kids at the age they were reading the Gruffalo I don't think gender, sexuality etc crossed their minds.

Back
Top Bottom