Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Drag Queen Story Times picketed by protestors who claim that it grooms children and promotes paedophilia

You still didn't answer my question about Strictly, Santino. Scantily-clad people up to their eyeballs in hormones right there on the telly. What's the bit that leaves you okay with this? How about Notting Hill Carnival, is that alright? Loads of kids there.
I haven't even said what I think about mother and baby screenings so get in the queue.

and it’s important those people are supported to access the healthcare they want
but they still gotta use the toilets as ascribed by their......what? Apparent genitalia? Chromosomes? Men actually lose their Y chromosomes as they age, so maybe 80 year olds are ok.

but they still gotta use the toilets as ascribed by their......what? Apparent genitalia? Chromosomes? Men actually lose their Y chromosomes as they age, so maybe 80 year olds are ok.
Can we not just have gender neutral facilities for everyone to use if they want? :confused: This seems like the obvious solution to me. I’ll use either a gender neutral if it’s a fully enclosed stall, or the female bathroom.

Since we're worrying about erotic dancing and kids, should parents be encouraging their pre-teen daughters to do pole dancing? Because that's a thing now. Is that better/worse than drag queen story hour, or is it empowering therefore different?

Can we not just have gender neutral facilities for everyone to use if they want? :confused: This seems like the obvious solution to me. I’ll use either a gender neutral if it’s a fully enclosed stall, or the female bathroom.
That'd bet cool. But it was you who mentioned toilets upthread (and they are, of course, a major battle ground in the US)

I haven't even said what I think about mother and baby screenings so get in the queue.
Levity is not a substitute for honesty. You know perfectly well your position (and that of the other people posting the highlights reel of their weird fantasies about what actually goes on at these events) lacks coherence. I'd respect you more if you admitted it.

That'd bet cool. But it was you who mentioned toilets upthread (and they are, of course, a major battle ground in the US)
They seem to be increasingly available in the UK so we at least appear to be moving in the right direction with that one at least. Everyone should be able to take a pee in peace.

Since we're worrying about erotic dancing and kids, should parents be encouraging their pre-teen daughters to do pole dancing? Because that's a thing now. Is that better/worse than drag queen story hour, or is it empowering therefore different?
You mean pole fitness, the incredible workout that provides extreme upper body strength benefits? They do keep their clothes on you know.

Jesus, talk about unsuitable content for children, the Church has been demanding kids stand under a giant statue of a guy nailed to a couple of planks of wood through his hands and feet for the last 2,000 years. Absolutely appalling.

Jesus, talk about unsuitable content for children, the Church has been demanding kids stand under a giant statue of a guy nailed to a couple of planks of wood through his hands and feet for the last 2,000 years. Absolutely appalling.
suffer the little children to come unto me

The bit I’ll never understand is the tying yourselves in knots to deny the obvious. Drag has always riffed off sex and sexuality and more power to it! To suddenly turn round and start obfuscating that drag has nothing to do with sexuality is just… like obviously untrue?

Drags great- it’s a real laugh for adults, it’s been a big part of gay culture and identity, it pushes boundaries and challenges stereotypes, and should be celebrated. But I don’t see what it has to do with kids or even really the wider gay community who might not be especially interested in it, or trans people who seem different again. Trans people aren’t drag queens and vice versa.

Yes, so do drag queens at the library iirc
I wasn't talking about drag queens, I was talking about what form of exercise might be befitting for a 12 year old girl and whether it's still sexualised if there aren't any creepy old men watching.

You can see that this is entirely different from DQST can't you? I'm in favour of both by the way, but they're absolutely wildly different things.

The bit I’ll never understand is the tying yourselves in knots to deny the obvious. Drag has always riffed off sex and sexuality and more power to it! To suddenly turn round and start obfuscating that drag has nothing to do with sexuality is just… like obviously untrue?

Drags great- it’s a real laugh for adults, it’s been a big part of gay culture and identity, it pushes boundaries and challenges stereotypes, and should be celebrated. But I don’t see what it has to do with kids or even really the wider gay community who might not be especially interested in it, or trans people who seem different again. Trans people aren’t drag queens and vice versa.
that's rather a blanket statement that about trans people, i wouldn't be in the slightest surprised to find people who like drag among them

you've never been to a pantomime i see

Levity is not a substitute for honesty. You know perfectly well your position (and that of the other people posting the highlights reel of their weird fantasies about what actually goes on at these events) lacks coherence. I'd respect you more if you admitted it.
What position could I hold that would make you answer the question?

What position could I hold that would make you answer the question?
Admit that it's not consistent to be wanking on about drag being too sexual when you're happy with the likes of Strictly, the Notting Hill Carnival etc, or be consistent by decrying all of them. One or the other. Then if you have a question worth the asking, I'll answer it.

Admit that it's not consistent to be wanking on about drag being too sexual when you're happy with the likes of Strictly, the Notting Hill Carnival etc, or be consistent by decrying all of them. One or the other. Then if you have a question worth the asking, I'll answer it.
You don't think it's potentially troublesome that all concerns about children's boundaries get coded as right-wing?

that's rather a blanket statement that about trans people, i wouldn't be in the slightest surprised to find people who like drag among them
Sure, but the two aren’t synonymous. Trans people feel their biological sex doesn’t match what they feel their gender is. And they may or may not seek medical treatment for that. They may or may not enjoy drag, but drag queens aren’t necessarily or even mostly transgender people are they?

Despite your protestations to the contrary, you have once again confused me with some other poster who is talking about drag.

Back
Top Bottom