Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Donald Trump, the road that might not lead to the White House!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Republicans retain control of House and Senate, and now have at least one free pick for the Supreme Court (probably more given the age of a few of the justices, particularly Ruth Bader Ginsberg and Stephen Breyer on the more 'liberal' side).

Possibly worse news than Trump himself.

I’m not sure about that: I think Clinton would have lost whoever she was up against really. She didn’t have anything to offer but ‘more of the same’

As I said to Frau Bahn over breakfast, "You could have done a shit on the stage and stuck a rosette on it and it would have won."

And effectively that is what did happen.

Two initial thoughts on waking up late and ony just finding out the result:
- Fuck you Hillary
- This does not bode well for Trump's alleged sexual asssault victims in their quest for justice

Can you blame them?
If he were to succeed in doing half of the things he's said he'd like to do (like reverse roe v wade, send trucks to round up and deport illegal aliens, ban Muslims from entering the country) then I think I will blame them to be honest yes, those who wouldn't stoop so low as to stop him.

If he were to succeed in doing half of the things he's said he'd like to do (like reverse roe v wade, send trucks to round up and deport illegal aliens, ban Muslims from entering the country) then I think I will blame them to be honest yes, those who wouldn't stoop so low as to stop him.
By voting in favour of Clinton, though: that's the problem.

You got 6-1? If I'd seen that, I'd have probably dumped some cash on it.
13-2 to be precise, but as always, still tinged with regret at not putting enough on .

That + every ( alt ) right wing no mark that ever existed larging it all over soc media.- not actually that bothered by Trump victory tbh

An American Tragedy - The New Yorker

The election of Donald Trump to the Presidency is nothing less than a tragedy for the American republic, a tragedy for the Constitution, and a triumph for the forces, at home and abroad, of nativism, authoritarianism, misogyny, and racism. Trump’s shocking victory, his ascension to the Presidency, is a sickening event in the history of the United States and liberal democracy. On January 20, 2017, we will bid farewell to the first African-American President—a man of integrity, dignity, and generous spirit—and witness the inauguration of a con who did little to spurn endorsement by forces of xenophobia and white supremacy. It is impossible to react to this moment with anything less than revulsion and profound anxiety.

An American Tragedy - The New Yorker

The election of Donald Trump to the Presidency is nothing less than a tragedy for the American republic, a tragedy for the Constitution, and a triumph for the forces, at home and abroad, of nativism, authoritarianism, misogyny, and racism. Trump’s shocking victory, his ascension to the Presidency, is a sickening event in the history of the United States and liberal democracy. On January 20, 2017, we will bid farewell to the first African-American President—a man of integrity, dignity, and generous spirit—and witness the inauguration of a con who did little to spurn endorsement by forces of xenophobia and white supremacy. It is impossible to react to this moment with anything less than revulsion and profound anxiety.

Perhaps that is a good article with which to read before checking out this considerably more sensible one, by Thomas Frank.

What do you think about this - from the exit polls. It suggests that the people on the lowest incomes voted for Clinton and that your use of the word 'plenty' should maybe be defined.

View attachment 95226

I'm not sure that tells you much in itself. Probably much like every election most Republicans voted Trump and most Democrats Clinton, and more people on the lowest incomes are more likely to vote Democrat. What really made the difference for Trump, as predicted by Michael Moore was the rust belt states, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Ohio and (probably) Michigan. Even in 2004, Bush only won Ohio out of those. So the question really is about the demographics of thoses who voted Trump but previously either didn't vote or voted Democrat, especially in those states.

Last edited:
Will he do what he says ?
President Trump’s First Term
But campaigns offer a surprisingly accurate preview of Presidencies. In 1984, the political scientist Michael Krukones tabulated the campaign pledges of all the Presidents from Woodrow Wilson to Jimmy Carter and found that they achieved seventy-three per cent of what they promised. Most recently, PolitiFact, a nonpartisan fact-checking site, has assessed more than five hundred promises made by Barack Obama during his campaigns and found that, to the irritation of his opponents, he has accomplished at least a compromised version of seventy per cent of them.

Trump has won, the Smugs are all once more noneplussed, crazy escalatory anti-Russian talk has been shown to not impress the life-loving population, a man who doesn't understand the purpose of NATO is now the Potus and the USA just lost all its charisma on the world stage while the US anti-war/Left have just been given a bolt of lightening as some mad scientist somewhere screams "LIVE!!!!"

Things are looking up.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom