Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Donald Trump, the road that might not lead to the White House!

Status
Not open for further replies.
fascinating read here on where alt.right/brietbart came from where the money end of the spectrum is, overlaps with and other right miilue. Long but worth it
Building the House of Breitbart | Jacobin

Great article this. Fills in a lot of gaps, I recommend that everyone read this. Websites like Breitbart are going to be a huge force in the future, they already are, but they are going to become even more influential.

There are other bits and pieces which are easily Googlable (No Child Left Behind Act, homelessness strategy) which appear to have been successes though I'm not that familiar with all of it.
I'm curious why you think NCLB was a good thing? I'm not claiming to be an expert on it however I have read a number of articles about it over the last 15 years and it sounded like a total fucking disaster to me.

What a dumb thing to say. Who are these people with principles and political philosophy entirely removed from what they actually want in society? And if you're trying to suggest that I'm saying that from a privileged white male position then fuck off and what the fuck do you know about me or my family?
Blimey, call off the hounds. I wasn't insinuating anything about you, or your family, I haven't got the faintest clue who you are, wasn't intended personally.
You ask 'Who are these people with principles and political philosophy entirely removed from what they actually want in society' but I don't see the relevance of that question to what I said in the post you replied to.
Presumably you feel that not voting for either of them is the best way to bring on the changes that you want to see in society. I think that faced with this choice, the choice that american voters are faced with tomorrow, of a man who promises teams of deportation vans driving around rounding up 'illegal aliens' to throw them out, punishing women for having abortions, banning Muslims from entering the county etc, the least worst option on the table is to vote for not him, and staying home is basically saying that you don't care what happens in the short to medium term.

End this misogynistic horror show. Put Hillary Clinton in the White House | Barbara Kingsolver

Her opponent has no political experience, a famously childish temperament, no interest in educating himself on any subject, a manifest record of shortchanging employees, bankrupting businesses, cheating on wives, dodging taxes and serving absolutely no one but himself. His mission is to elevate the self-regard of some Americans by degrading many others, including Muslims, Mexican immigrants, people with disabilities, residents of African-American communities, women he finds beautiful and women he does not.

I’m horrified to watch the bizarre pageant of my nation pretending these two contenders are equivalent. No one really imagines Donald Trump applying himself to the disciplines of the presidency, staying up late reading reams of legislation, instead of firing off juvenile tweets. It’s even harder to imagine Clinton indulging in the boorish self-aggrandisement, intellectual laziness, racism and vulgar contempt for the opposite gender that characterise her opponent. If anyone still doubts that the inexperienced man gets promoted ahead of the qualified woman, you can wake up now.

End this misogynistic horror show. Put Hillary Clinton in the White House | Barbara Kingsolver

Her opponent has no political experience, a famously childish temperament, no interest in educating himself on any subject, a manifest record of shortchanging employees, bankrupting businesses, cheating on wives, dodging taxes and serving absolutely no one but himself. His mission is to elevate the self-regard of some Americans by degrading many others, including Muslims, Mexican immigrants, people with disabilities, residents of African-American communities, women he finds beautiful and women he does not.

I’m horrified to watch the bizarre pageant of my nation pretending these two contenders are equivalent. No one really imagines Donald Trump applying himself to the disciplines of the presidency, staying up late reading reams of legislation, instead of firing off juvenile tweets. It’s even harder to imagine Clinton indulging in the boorish self-aggrandisement, intellectual laziness, racism and vulgar contempt for the opposite gender that characterise her opponent. If anyone still doubts that the inexperienced man gets promoted ahead of the qualified woman, you can wake up now.
I'm hoping for a Trump defeat, but this is dangerous nonsense. The idea that being elected is all about 'qualifications' for a start, as if this were a job interview. It's not a job interview, it's an election.

Blimey, call off the hounds. I wasn't insinuating anything about you, or your family, I haven't got the faintest clue who you are, wasn't intended personally.
You ask 'Who are these people with principles and political philosophy entirely removed from what they actually want in society' but I don't see the relevance of that question to what I said in the post you replied to.
Presumably you feel that not voting for either of them is the best way to bring on the changes that you want to see in society. I think that faced with this choice, the choice that american voters are faced with tomorrow, of a man who promises teams of deportation vans driving around rounding up 'illegal aliens' to throw them out, punishing women for having abortions, banning Muslims from entering the county etc, the least worst option on the table is to vote for not him, and staying home is basically saying that you don't care what happens in the short to medium term.
If you're going to push the worst case scenario after a Trump victory could you at least be honest enough to compare it with the worst case scenario after a Hillary victory. In reality the POTUS doesn't have the power to do most of what Trump's promised though it will be a shitstorm. Not a lot standing between Clinton and her starting shooting down Russian planes though. Shitstorm either way. . Support for Clinton is just that, it's support for Clinton. And the insistence on a 'one or the other' choice is exactly why the people of the US have ended up with such a sorry excuse for democracy. And I always turn up at elections, I just usually vote 3rd party or spoil my paper.

I'm hoping for a Trump defeat, but this is dangerous nonsense. The idea that being elected is all about 'qualifications' for a start, as if this were a job interview. It's not a job interview, it's an election.
Yep I love her novels but that article is just a howl of anger and says nothing about Clinton at all other than that trump is worse & Clinton is female, which isn't big news.

It's still a job though. It's insane that any fool can run for president, without some experience in politics first.

Sure, and by all accounts he's a good egg. But not tolerating booing? Why ever not?

Or is it just Bruce that Americans should never boo? Is it in the Pledge or something?
Oh, it's just Bruce. Nobody should boo Bruce, at the very least because of the Born To Run album, let alone Born In The USA, Nebraska, The River and E-Street Shuffle. I could go on.

It's still a job though. It's insane that any fool can run for president, without some experience in politics first.
If you're standing on a platform that the entire system is rotten, why should you have come from some place within that system?

I don't think it's insane at all that any fool can run for public offices of any kind. It may be insane that so many people vote for them, but that's a separate issue

If you're going to push the worst case scenario after a Trump victory could you at least be honest enough to compare it with the worst case scenario after a Hillary victory. In reality the POTUS doesn't have the power to do most of what Trump's promised though it will be a shitstorm. Not a lot standing between Clinton and her starting shooting down Russian planes though. Shitstorm either way. . Support for Clinton is just that, it's support for Clinton. And the insistence on a 'one or the other' choice is exactly why the people of the US have ended up with such a sorry excuse for democracy. And I always turn up at elections, I just usually vote 3rd party or spoil my paper.
trump could have the power to do most of what he's said if the 2 houses are also republican, which looks fairly likely.

That would be a very different situation to the one Obama has faced.

trump could have the power to do most of what he's said if the 2 houses are also republican, which looks fairly likely.

That would be a very different situation to the one Obama has faced.

I've still not figured out how he's going to get Mexico to pay for that wall...

If you're standing on a platform that the entire system is rotten, why should you have come from some place within that system?

I don't think it's insane at all that any fool can run for public offices of any kind. It may be insane that so many people vote for them, but that's a separate issue

So the correct position is that it's generally OK for idiots to stand, but not idiots that large numbers of people would vote for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom