Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Donald Trump, the road that might not lead to the White House!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be very interested to read the latest polling following his (latest) Islamophobic rant ... won't be surprised if there is a noticeable spike in his approval ratings.
Trump knows what he's doing. He is going after a sizeable constituency in the US that believes his views towards Muslims are 'fair comment' and reflect their own fears.

And it is fear with a capital F.

most of the milta types are more a drinking club with a gun problem than a real threat the ones in camo in the woods planning to take on the UN storm troopers are not the threat.
if they start mixing up bombs then they become a threat for a little while.:(

most of the milta types are more a drinking club with a gun problem than a real threat the ones in camo in the woods planning to take on the UN storm troopers are not the threat.

That may well be true.
But the views and opinions held by these 'backwoodsmen' are shared by a large proportion of middle America.
That is where the threat is . . .

the way some police forces react to being told by their elected employers not to be so aggresive makes them a credible threat. And trump has often spoken of how he would 'give them more powers' and 'let them do their job' I.E let them off the leash.

there are "places in london which are so radicalised the police are afraid for their lives".

there are no places in the US which are so awash, with guns, ammo and radicalised religious freaks that the police and military won't even go, such as, i dunno, the bundy ranch, eh donald?

there are "places in london which are so radicalised the police are afraid for their lives".

there are no places in the US which are so awash, with guns, ammo and radicalised religious freaks that the police and military won't even go, such as, i dunno, the bundy ranch, eh donald?

Trump worried about home grown 'radicalised religious freaks' being threatened by a more dominant species from the Middle East, perhaps?!
Bit like what the yanks did to our lovely red squirrels with their thuggish grey ones!

Analogy a bit all over the place (but please play along) . . . :hmm:

Do you reckon he is serious about wanting to become president? Or is it all just an exercise in testing how far the public can be pushed to the right, but with no real expectation of him getting into power?

My first reaction to the "muslim ban" thing was - there was a time when I'd have been up in arms about lunacy on this scale. Now I'm like, "now what?"

But then - I suspect that's the point of Trump. Which suggests a yes to your question.

:facepalm:

er ... m8 ...

If only there were some way of ensuring that ALL Americans had good genes. Say tall, blue eyed, blonde haired... Wait, this is a policy I recognise from somewhere. And it's not the only one, either...

I don't find anti-Muslim bigotry in the USA surprising, no matter how extreme it gets; same goes for anti-Mexican or antiBlack racism - both draw on deep historical roots and very obvious precedents (look up the internment camps for Japanese - but not Italian! - Americans in WWII or "Operation Wetback" from 1954 and see that Trump's comments aren't that far from the historical norm.)

Ditto his well documented dislike for women and poor people - again, common in the end of the political pool he swims in.

But what IS truly amazing is that he mocks and denigrates people who even conservative Republicans usually consider sacred (Fox News hosts, disabled people and war heroes ffs!) and some voters are still just lapping it up. So what is going on? I think he's something like a lightning rod for every hateful feeling the electorate has. There's something really deep and psychological about his campaign - I don't know if it's about the power of fame, or people just hating everything, or massive feelings of insecurity, or overwhelming impatience with red tape and limited prospects, or what. But it obviously has very little to do with anything he actually says about politics per se.

In more childish moments, I feel like wishing he got elected so that people can see just how bad it would be, to teach them a lesson if you like. However, seeing as he seems fully capable of wittingly or unwittingly triggering a thermonuclear conflict, it's better to keep my childish impulses under control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom