Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Donald Trump the road that might not lead to the White House - Redux 2024 thread.

I didn't watch the whole debate but of what I saw last night and the clips I've seen today....

I wanted Hariss to pay more attention to the economy. Parse the rights claims and push back on them more effectively.

Trump did a good job of swinging the rattles and the flags and distracting her from doing that with his crazy claims.

Even this Fox News opinion writer admits Harris won:

It’s pretty clear to me that on Tuesday night, Vice President Kamala Harris won what may be the only debate between herself and former President Trump.

But had to throw this in:

The vice president had some help, too. She was aided and abetted by two ABC News moderators who seemingly felt the need to fact-check virtually everything the former president said.

Oh really? I wonder why the felt the need to do that?

Link broken:

https://www.foxnews. com/opinion/trump-harris-face-off-there-clear-winner-dont-believe-election-over

MAGA genuinely does feel represented by Trump.
How many of those are registered to vote and will go out to vote is important.

Not all MAGA is thick as shit. Plenty recognise his faults and don't care. Some are willing to hold their nose and vote for him even if they don't really like him. And outside the crazy of MAGA are more apparently reasonable people who do support Trump.

The American thing of shoving your way to the front is honoured respected even revered. It's enshrined. It's why Middle School is such a torture chamber for American school kids. They're essentially.thrown into the pit and they find a way to play the game or they go under. The Logan brothers are an perfect example. Both foul bullies, both hugely successful despite fucking up. And they're respected and honoured exactly because they're bullies and have fucked up and hugely successful.

Remember when Trump pushed through to the front at the NATO meeting? They fucking loved that. I mean, really loved it. It's exactly what they want to see and to be.

Every single Trump supporter I know personally was a bully in high school, and often beyond high school. They recognize their own.

Going by what I'm seeing in the comments, Trump still has plenty of support.

When he said he could shoot someone on 5th Ave and get away with it... He wasn't so much making a crazy claim as he was laying out the parameters of what he expected his followers to permit. He'd already gotten away with plenty. He was testing to see the response to more. That crowd cheered when he said that.

I'm not saying he will win.
I'm saying he could.
I'm saying that laughing him off, resting on his bizarre absurdity, is blinkered.

Last edited:
There're always people that are undecided, some even until up to the day, the polls reflects that, it happens in the UK too, I've known people that have only made a final decision when they are in the polling booth, with the ballot paper in front of them, it seems weird to me, but it happens.

Even faced with a choice of Trump/ anyone else?

Even this Fox News opinion writer admits Harris won:

But had to throw this in:

Oh really? I wonder why the felt the need to do that?

Link broken:

https://www.foxnews. com/opinion/trump-harris-face-off-there-clear-winner-dont-believe-election-over

The thing is that by any reasonable metric Harris DID win.

I'm not saying she didn't.

But that could actually play to his favour.
Those who support Trump even just a little don't want him to be beaten or embarrassed. They associate with him so deeply that they feel personal affront, personal danger, when he's in the firing line.

This is more than politics. There's something existential and weird going on.

There's something in the human character that doesn't allow for questioning of your heroes. When I was at university, the football (American) players could do no wrong). One of them beat a woman so bad she was in a coma for quite a while. She was in the hospital for months. People still refused to think he could have done such a thing simply because he was a good football player.

Going by what I'm seeing in the comments, Trump still has plenty of support.

When he said he could shoot someone on 5th Ave and get away with it... He wasn't so much making a crazy claim as he was laying out the parameters of what he expected his followers to permit. He'd already gotten away with plenty. He was testing to see the response to more. That crowd cheered when he said that.

I'm not saying he will win.
I'm saying he could.
I'm saying that laughing him off, resting on his bizarre absurdity, is blinkered.

Being able to get away with anything is the consequence of this sort of confidence trick politics though - people go long with the con for so long that they incriminate themselves, and then can’t back out of it easily for fear of looking stupid.

The thing is that by any reasonable metric Harris DID win.

I'm not saying she didn't.

But that could actually play to his favour.
Those who support Trump even just a little don't want him to be beaten or embarrassed. They associate with him so deeply that they feel personal affront, personal danger, when he's in the firing line.

Trump's cult following will never concede he loses a debate, just as they won't accept that he lost the 2020 election (despite over 60 law suits finding the opposite) or that he engaged in election interference, buisness fraud or sexual assault - despite being found liable for all of these things in a court of law. They are cultists, they are either impervious to logic, evidence, reason or facts or they are just blind, partisan cheerleaders (bullshitters like Trump). I guess its the 'undecideds' who count.

When I was a kid there were rumours about chicken shops in high wycombe putting pigeons and rats into food and plenty of people believed it. I'm sure you can find similar rubbish on the Nextdoor app. There will be loads of people who believe it. Hopefully not a majority though. His mention of Springfield makes it even more barking

Trump's cult following will never concede he loses a debate, just as they won't accept that he lost the 2020 election (despite over 60 law suits finding the opposite) or that he engaged in election interference, buisness fraud or sexual assault - despite being found liable for all of these things in a court of law. They are cultists, they are either impervious to logic, evidence, reason or facts or they are just blind, partisan cheerleaders (bullshitters like Trump). I guess its the 'undecideds' who count.

DO we know the stats for the undecideds? How many are there?

I think by far the largest block of Trump voters are tribal Republicans aren't they - people who always vote Republican regardless of the candidate. Some of those are also Maga crazies but not all by any means, they still turn out though because it's so strongly embedded.

A bit yes, swan is a thing people do eat and poaching is a thing that happens.
There are always loads of articles/posts on local FB groups about people's dogs getting stolen. Some of them might end up eaten by someone. Unlikely, but if you're already inclined to believe that stuff and get enraged about it then maybe what he's saying won't seem so outlandish

When I was a kid there were rumours about chicken shops in high wycombe putting pigeons and rats into food and plenty of people believed it. I'm sure you can find similar rubbish on the Nextdoor app. There will be loads of people who believe it. Hopefully not a majority though. His mention of Springfield makes it even more barking
That was a persistent urban myth when I was a kid - Chinese takeaways being the usual target 🙁

The American version of this is the "Kentucky Fried Rat" stories.

<edited to add>
When he mentioned "Springfield" I thought maybe he got the story from the Simpsons.

There are always loads of articles/posts on local FB groups about people's dogs getting stolen. Some of them might end up eaten by someone. Unlikely, but if you're already inclined to believe that stuff and get enraged about it then maybe what he's saying won't seem so outlandish
I don't think eating dog is really a thing, moast stolen dogs probably juts ran away and got lost, any that are actually stollen will he sold. If you want to go dark I guess some could be for breeding or fighting. But not for eating.

Ultimately if you want to steel meat the easiest way is to shoplif it.

I don't think eating dog is really a thing, moast stolen dogs probably juts ran away and got lost, any that are actually stollen will he sold. If you want to go dark I guess some could be for breeding or fighting. But not for eating.

Yeah I agree but if that actually is something you feel super strongly (and there are plenty of British right wingers who build an identity around being 'dog lovers' with a picture of a dog in the bio etc) then what he's saying might not sound that crazy to you. I mean significant numbers of people in the US claim to have been abducted by aliens ...

I think a lot of them get resold into the pet market. When I hear of dogs being stolen its usually some expensive and popular breed that would be easy to resell. Some breeds of dogs sell for thousands of dollars.

Yeah I agree but if that actually is something you feel super strongly (and there are plenty of British right wingers who build an identity around being 'dog lovers' with a picture of a dog in the bio etc) then what he's saying might not sound that crazy to you. I mean significant numbers of people in the US claim to have been abducted by aliens ...

Trans aliens?

How she kept it together, no idea. Just no idea.

Back
Top Bottom