Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Doctor Who 2024 - News, views, spin-offs

The kiss will grab the headlines and perhaps rightly so because it’s a first, but it is a footnote AFAIAC. Far more important for me was the fact that this was a fun, highly enjoyable episode after a very shaky season so far.

And whereas previews of forthcoming episodes can be deceiving, I can’t wait for next week.

Doesn't seem to me that there's much interest in watching this series? No-one that I know IRL has watched any of it. My teenage daughter, who regularly rewatches the Tennant and Smith episodes, had shown zero interest in this reboot.

Have heard the word “reboot” a few times, which seems odd cos I don’t recall a significant gap since Eccleston.

I guess there was that year and a bit between Jodie W and Ncuti.

Have heard the word “reboot” a few times, which seems odd cos I don’t recall a significant gap since Eccleston.

I guess there was that year and a bit between Jodie W and Ncuti.
It's called Season 1 in the listings and on iplayer, rather than whatever season it would be if it was a continuation of the previous era, that's why people are referring to it as a reboot

It's called Season 1 in the listings and on iplayer, rather than whatever season it would be if it was a continuation of the previous era, that's why people are referring to it as a reboot

Ah, ok. I hadn’t heard that.
Do you know why that is?

If you are an "old" like me and the name of the tune the strings are playing while Rogue and the Doctor dance rings a bell but you just can't put a name to it, it's Astor Piazzolla's Libertango.

(I only tracked it down because I remembered some of the lyrics of the awful French cover of it by actor Guy Marchand in the 70's - click at your own risks, think 70's Robson and Jerome but French and only one of them)

The kiss will grab the headlines and perhaps rightly so because it’s a first, but it is a footnote AFAIAC. Far more important for me was the fact that this was a fun, highly enjoyable episode after a very shaky season so far.

And whereas previews of forthcoming episodes can be deceiving, I can’t wait for next week.
I only disagree as though I think the first two episodes were shaky it quickly improved. I was surprised. The whole kiss thing was beyond a footnote it was just boring but people keep putting romantic crap in otherwise good programmes.

I can’t make any sense of that.
Surely Disney would have been buying into the whole decades-long legacy of the show and this would massively negate that.

Then again, they do have money to burn.

Just watched this Saturday’s episode and I think it’s quite possible the next season will be season 2, and then the one after that will be season 1 again.

Last edited:
Loved it. Sexy dancing to Kylie, singing Pure Imagination!

One thing I have noticed, I think the Doctor cries in every episode...
I thought he was a bit dad at a wedding...

Good use of music though unlike other episodes I can mention. I thought the change of plan was mumbled through and I didn't really get how the idea behind the fancy lights on the floor worked and why if you could just push someone out of the way the Doctor hadn't already done it.

If you are an "old" like me and the name of the tune the strings are playing while Rogue and the Doctor dance rings a bell but you just can't put a name to it, it's Astor Piazzolla's Libertango.

(I only tracked it down because I remembered some of the lyrics of the awful French cover of it by actor Guy Marchand in the 70's - click at your own risks, think 70's Robson and Jerome but French and only one of them)

Grace Jones did a version too: I've Seen That Face Before (Libertango) - Wikipedia

Which I think was used in the Harrison Ford thriller Frantic.

I only disagree as though I think the first two episodes were shaky it quickly improved. I was surprised. The whole kiss thing was beyond a footnote it was just boring but people keep putting romantic crap in otherwise good programmes.
I’m a bit disappointed that they’ve decided to make the Doctor a sexual being - starting with Paul McGann. I find it a distraction from the action. I’m probably stuck in the traditional Who mentality but I liked that he/she was always separate from such things and it was part of the otherness setting the doctor apart from the companions.

I’m a bit disappointed that they’ve decided to make the Doctor a sexual being - starting with Paul McGann. I find it a distraction from the action. I’m probably stuck in the traditional Who mentality but I liked that he/she was always separate from such things and it was part of the otherness setting the doctor apart from the companions.
It's a bit inappropriate. How would any of it go down if he still looked like William Hartnell?

The William Hartnell Doctor who had a granddaughter and got engaged to an Aztec woman?
I forgot about that. Mind you, that was before the doctor was a fully formed character and where they tried to make it an educational programme with Doctor as a wise older figure with two teachers in tow and ratings were pretty bad. Once the daleks turned up, they changed their approach.

I forgot about that. Mind you, that was before the doctor was a fully formed character and where they tried to make it an educational programme with Doctor as a wise older figure with two teachers in tow and ratings were pretty bad. Once the daleks turned up, they changed their approach.
“The Daleks” was the second story. “The Aztecs” was later.

There's actually no drama here. Someone mentions he cries all the time.. in every episode - it actually ends up taking away from the emotion.

The bird costumes just look bad. Disney special effects are not delivering, along with RDT's midlife crisis it's all just a big mash of BAD (without the wolf..just bad).

I really liked last week's episode (which was truly disturbing) and after moffat's the week before was hoping it would be on the up and up.

But no.

Big bag'o shite .

Sorry all.

One small technicality ruined it for me:
When the bird shape shifters and Ruby were trapped, stuck and couldn't move I found it ridiculous, lazy writing that Rogue was able to just push Ruby off the trap.

One small technicality ruined it for me:
When the bird shape shifters and Ruby were trapped, stuck and couldn't move I found it ridiculous, lazy writing that Rogue was able to just push Ruby off the trap.
I think it just needed to be made a bit clearer by means of dialogue

By their actions and the way it worked, it seemed fairly clear to me that the trap was configured to that number of people or approximate total mass at the point it was triggered, or something along those lines, and it wasn't just a case of pushing Ruby out of the trap, she needed to be replaced. What puzzled me a bit I think is why The Doctor didn't immediately do that himself to save Ruby, leaving her stranded there might have been preferable to whatever fate she faced by remaining in the trap - he got her into that mess, and it seemed a bit selfish or not very quick thinking - but maybe whatshisface as the bounty hunter had a better understanding of how the trap worked which is why he was able/had knowledge about how to intervene to save Ruby? But yes, not terribly well explained.

I think it just needed to be made a bit clearer by means of dialogue

By their actions and the way it worked, it seemed fairly clear to me that the trap was configured to that number of people or approximate total mass at the point it was triggered, or something along those lines, and it wasn't just a case of pushing Ruby out of the trap, she needed to be replaced. What puzzled me a bit I think is why The Doctor didn't immediately do that himself to save Ruby, leaving her stranded there might have been preferable to whatever fate she faced by remaining in the trap - he got her into that mess, and it seemed a bit selfish or not very quick thinking - but maybe whatshisface as the bounty hunter had a better understanding of how the trap worked which is why he was able/had knowledge about how to intervene to save Ruby? But yes, not terribly well explained.
Yes, I thought the same about the Doctor. It was definitely something that could have been explained better.

Back
Top Bottom