Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Doctor Who 2024 - News, views, spin-offs

New trailer

I turned this off partway through, as I think it spoils things too much to have so much in a trailer.

One gripe I have with Nu Who is that it has the Tardis flying through the sky on a number of times, but this is not how the Tardis works. It dematerialises and goes through another realm - hyperspace, or the time vortex or something - then materialises in another part of normal spacetime.

I turned this off partway through, as I think it spoils things too much to have so much in a trailer.

One gripe I have with Nu Who is that it has the Tardis flying through the sky on a number of times, but this is not how the Tardis works. It dematerialises and goes through another realm - hyperspace, or the time vortex or something - then materialises in another part of normal spacetime.

It’s reasonable for it to be capable of both. The Doctor is always fiddling with his Tardis, so presumably added this feature. Novel capabilities aren’t an affront to canon: daleks couldn’t climb stairs until they could.

Reactions: Chz

I think a few classic stories suggested this was possible. It was shown flying through space now and then. The Mind Robber and Frontier in Space hinted at it I think. The first time it "flew' post 2005 in The Runaway Bride this was commented on with the Doctor saying the Tardis doesn't fly very often. I think these are supposed to be two different ways of getting about the Tardis is capable of. The Tardis also appeared to travel through normal space in The Parting of the Ways. I guess this was deliberate in order to have the Daleks fire on it as the catastrophic event necessary to power up the extrapolater so that the Doctor could pop in (by means of materialisation) to pick up Rose and have a bit of a chat with the Daleks without being destroyed.

New trailer

I hate to say this, but I think he is going to really annoy me.
Maybe it's just the trailer, but I hate all the "I am the big man" stuff. I preferred the idea of a renegade nobody drifting around in time and space in a box that didn't work properly, with uncertain outcome. These days he can just pull the "I can crush you all like ants" shit at the drop of a hat. . . and the actor seems to be leaning into that in a way that leans to hard on the young and cocky rather than the eccentric genius mad ditz. Hopefully I will be proven wrong and they just selected duff clips for the trailer.
I do like the 60s/70s outfit, and am disappointed that that isn't his chosen outfit for the entire series. I think I could have forgiven a lot more . . I also like the idea of a time traveler who, aware of the bigger picture of the entirety of space and time, is not really bothered about being 100% decade accurate . . . . he's never really cared before.

I hate to say this, but I think he is going to really annoy me.
Maybe it's just the trailer, but I hate all the "I am the big man" stuff. I preferred the idea of a renegade nobody drifting around in time and space in a box that didn't work properly, with uncertain outcome. These days he can just pull the "I can crush you all like ants" shit at the drop of a hat. . . and the actor seems to be leaning into that in a way that leans to hard on the young and cocky rather than the eccentric genius mad ditz. Hopefully I will be proven wrong and they just selected duff clips for the trailer.
I do like the 60s/70s outfit, and am disappointed that that isn't his chosen outfit for the entire series. I think I could have forgiven a lot more . . I also like the idea of a time traveler who, aware of the bigger picture of the entirety of space and time, is not really bothered about being 100% decade accurate . . . . he's never really cared before.
Midlife crisis or growing old disgracefully. Bring it on!

As long as she’s not another bloody earthling. Sick of the BBC shoving their Terran propaganda down our throats. Earthlings can fuck off. Varada needs to be a Trakenite or a Time Lord or a Servateem tribesperson, like all the best companions.

They always squandered a lot of the best assistant ideas. Cyberman head, for instance, was an excellent idea and could have been amazing. Sontaran could have been a full companion. Cat person Etc etc. Instead we get 100 british kids from the present with no interesting attributes. Makes Adric flapping his teenage arms moping on his bed look like an Ernest Hemingway creation.

Something for the Murray Gold fans at the Proms this year.
Doctor Who makes its much-anticipated return to the Proms with a brand-new show celebrating the latest adventures of the Doctor. Showcasing Murray Gold’s epic music for the series performed by the BBC National Orchestra of Wales, the Prom features sequences from the series on big screens, spectacular lighting and a host of special guest appearances – and, yes, there will be monsters! A concert like no other in all of space and time …

They always squandered a lot of the best assistant ideas. Cyberman head, for instance, was an excellent idea and could have been amazing. Sontaran could have been a full companion. Cat person Etc etc. Instead we get 100 british kids from the present with no interesting attributes. Makes Adric flapping his teenage arms moping on his bed look like an Ernest Hemingway creation.
Another plus is that Adric had the decency to smash himself into a planet and stay dead. Clara, Bill and probably others have had a decent and quite final end that is then undone by some happily ever after bollocks. The episode where a Billalike turns up as a ghost robot thing implanted with her memories, personality etc from the moment of her apparent death would have been a bit more meaningful if the real Bill wasn't off fucking around with her girlfriend somewhere. Chibnall had the right idea with companion exits if nothing else. "I've had enough of this. Bye."

Another plus is that Adric had the decency to smash himself into a planet and stay dead. Clara, Bill and probably others have had a decent and quite final end that is then undone by some happily ever after bollocks. The episode where a Billalike turns up as a ghost robot thing implanted with her memories, personality etc from the moment of her apparent death would have been a bit more meaningful if the real Bill wasn't off fucking around with her girlfriend somewhere. Chibnall had the right idea with companion exits if nothing else. "I've had enough of this. Bye."
Not just Adric but Sara Kingdom, iirc

RTD did poke some fun at this almost-death stuff in the toymaker episode ('Well that's alright then!') so perhaps a good sign we'll not see it repeated for a while.

RTD did poke some fun at this almost-death stuff in the toymaker episode ('Well that's alright then!') so perhaps a good sign we'll not see it repeated for a while.
Yeah, hopefully. Would be good from Mr foreshadowing a death to side step it. The only proper one he didn't do that with was Martha and hers was about her romantic feelings for the Doctor which is worse. All of space and time and it comes down to a boy.

“There’s as many dimensions as there are atoms in the universe”. Is that sillier or less silly than golden oldies like RTPOTNF? String theorists have got as far as 26 dimensions, 10^80 is quite a stretch.

Well, there’s ideas and there’s delivery, for sure. But…

Silly ideas I’ll put up with - hiding your personality in a pocket watch.

Silly ideas I won’t put up with - punching a diamond wall for billions of years.

Back
Top Bottom