Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Doctor Who 2024 - News, views, spin-offs

Doctor Who is for everyone. Everyone is entitled to an option. It doesn't belong to any age group and opinion. It doesn't belong to any demographic. It is sci-fi (or maybe fantasy these days) and therefore anyone can have an opinion or say in the direction it should go in, and anyone can have a say in its misgivings and shortcomings.

Anyone can also choose not to voice their own opinions and instead raise the voice of others who may not have the will, opportunity, or czuszpah to speak.

And Anyone can choose to amplify those voices. And all voices are equal.

Innit

Doctor Who is for everyone. Everyone is entitled to an option. It doesn't belong to any age group. It doesn't belong to any demographic. It is sci-fi (or maybe fantasy) and therefore anyone can have an opinion or say in the direction it should go in, and anyone can have a say in its misgivings and shortcomings.

Anyone can also choose not to voice their own opinions and instead raise the voice of others who may not have the will, opportunity, or czuszpah to speak.

And Anyone can choose to amplify those voices. And all voices are equal.

Innit

Not saying it's beyond criticism, just taking issue when you say it's written by men for men.

If we're doing live posting now, I'm half way through the Devil's Chord and unexpectedly really enjoying it. But it could be just that Ncuti is pretty hot in that outfit.
I rewatched it with mrsb the other day. The first half was really enjoyable, as long as you could ignore the abysmal Beatles portrayal. The conclusion didn't really make much sense and fuck knows what the awful song and dance at the end was about.

I did mean to post this last night but Vilengard is the arms factory that the Doctor blew up that became a banana Grove.

The fighty Anglicans turned up a few times during Moffat's run. They were also the soldiers in that weeping angel two parter.
See, both I and my husband noticed that.. but didn't want to spoilorize it to anyone...

But at the same time!!!

There's such a good discussion to be had about such a liberal church becoming so intolerant and eventually shooty with time... It's a proper MOFFAT staple, and I do wonder if he actually is using Anglican as an allegory for something else because the Epoch of our time fits many shoes.

I rewatched it with mrsb the other day. The first half was really enjoyable, as long as you could ignore the abysmal Beatles portrayal. The conclusion didn't really make much sense and fuck knows what the awful song and dance at the end was about.
Imho, the song kind of spells it out :)

Also am convinced that it's a show within a show, hence all the meta and fourth wall moments, they're in a pocket universe or snow globe or something

Of course, it could all be misdirection and something completely different...

Also am convinced that it's a show within a show, hence all the meta and fourth wall moments, they're in a pocket universe or snow globe or something

I suspect you are pretty much right. We are in some kind of alternate universe, which is why they are continuing with the 'mavity' thing. And, once we get to series end, there is gonna be a lot that was revealed/prefigured within that routine

Yeah,
I'm kind of going with a Truman show type thing

Last edited:
I suspect you are pretty much right. We are in some kind of alternate universe, which is why they are continuing with the 'mavity' thing. And, once we get to series end, there is gonna be a lot that was revealed/prefigured within that routine
Yes, Mavity is definitely important , I think / hope

There were fighting Anglicans in A Good Man Goes To War so I guess this was a tie-in to that.
I was thinking g they must be forerunners of the Church of the Holy Mainframe whatsit. Is that the same thing g?

Speculation doesn’t need to be spoiler tagged. Discussion of the show before it is broadcast on terrestrial is spoiler tagged, as is information about forthcoming episodes gleaned from trailers or other sources. But there is no reason to be coy about theories concerning Susan Twist or mavity, whether they derive from online Whovians or your own overheated imagination.

As others have said, 3rd episode definitely better. I'm a bit conflicted on the Doc/Ruby relationship though. Quite liked the outright positivity at first, particularly as it will be tested with horror and darkness fairly soon. However it easily tips over into schmaltz.

I'm just watching that second episode.
Good points . . . It's maybe good to dare to try new things? He wore a nice suit.
Bad Points . . . I think I have eye cancer from watching that. . . And ear cancer.
I could feel my whole body contorting into a tight ball of solid cringe.

Or The Doctor's daughter, from 2008 will be back, or River Song will be Ruby's mom who will be Susan's mom...

Something family related

Three episodes in and I'm relly liking this series , the daftness of Space Babies is still my favourite so far.

I didnt really enjoy 73 yards unless there is a huge call back later in the series, it just seemed a lot of WTF?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom