Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you have a clan and do you identify with its motto?

ItWillNeverWork

Messy Crimbobs, fellow humans.
I'm a very far-removed Blair of Balthayock with basically no knowledge of Scotland. Apparently our motto is 'Virtute Tutus' which means 'By Virtue Safe'. Not sure what to think of that to be honest; it seems a bit wishy washy when it comes to mottos, if you ask me.

So tell me about clans in general and yours in particular. Do you feel a cultural affinity at all with the whole thing, or is it just silly nonsense? Is it an important part of your identity? If so, why?

Balthayock Crest New Dove.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you elaborate?

I'm part African. Recently, I learned some family details of which I'd been unaware.

There was something pleasing to learn that I was part of a tribe. It's like being part of something continuing, but something that's not part of the modern economic/political structure. I haven't been aware of it for enough of my life to say that it forms part of my identity, but I'm pleased by it, nonetheless.

I'm part African. Recently, I learned some family details of which I'd been unaware.

There was something pleasing to learn that I was part of a tribe. It's like being part of something continuing, but something that's not part of the modern economic/political structure. I haven't been aware of it for enough of my life to say that it forms part of my identity, but I'm pleased by it, nonetheless.

This is exactly how I feel. I've never really embraced any cultural heritage beyond my immediate influences, but I guess I must be getting old because I'm eager to find out more about my ancestry. Like you say, it's the feeling of being part of something longer-lasting than the short blip of time for which we exist.

eta: that sounds right depressing there at the end but it's not meant to be; it's a positive feeling.

Well I used to be a biker.

I don't look or dress like a biker anymore, but I can mix with bikers fine and once they accept that I look a bit different I do know about motorbikes and that usually wins them over.

But I am in a few groups / tribes.

This is exactly how I feel. I've never really embraced any cultural heritage beyond my immediate influences, but I guess I must be getting old because I'm eager to find out more about my ancestry. Like you say, it's the feeling of being part of something longer-lasting than the short blip of time for which we exist.

eta: that sounds right depressing there at the end but it's not meant to be; it's a positive feeling.

There's nothing at all depressing about it.

This new thing: nuclear family, then everybody living alone or in couples in their apartment, going to work, paying their bills - is new. We lived that other way for a long time. Nothing wrong with wanting to connect with something that's deeper and older than credit cards and this year's model.

I agree with JC3, it is very fine to have a bit of background.
We are all a product of where we come from.

You know what's sort of scary? I've talked with some of my African peeps. And I know if I go there what it will be like.

Like jumping into a warm pool.

It so goes against how we live: fear of strangers, fear of being open to others etc.

But it's a thing that is intuitively right.

You know what's sort of scary? I've talked with some of my African peeps. And I know if I go there what it will be like.

Like jumping into a warm pool.

It so goes against how we live: fear of strangers, fear of being open to others etc.

But it's a thing that is intuitively right.

Unfortunately looking into the past can bring up nasties as well.
I recently found that the ancestors of someone I know were involved (in a way) in the slave trade. I have not felt comfortable being with them at all every since. But it certainly is not their fault, they were never involved in it.

And on the negatives again. A German I know, absolutely hates that her grandparents generation (not hers specifically, just that generation) were involved in the Nazi party and holocaust. She has a lot of negativity about it, despite that 1) she had nothing to do with it and 2) none of her family had anything to do with it .

Unfortunately looking into the past can bring up nasties as well.
I recently found that the ancestors of someone I know were involved (in a way) in the slave trade. I have not felt comfortable being with them at all every since. But it certainly is not their fault, they were never involved in it.

I probably have ancestors involved in the slave trade too; but from a slightly different perspective. :D

There's no point avoiding someone because their grandparent 10 times removed did some bad thing.

Have you looked into it JC3? or are you happy to let it lie?

Yes you are quite right.

Got to go out now, perhaps see you later.

Alright.

It's just after midnight here. I'm not going anywhere, unless it's out to walk the dog and take photos. Depends if it's stopped raining.

Hope you have a good day.

Clan Gunn through my mum apparently, which had a Viking progenitor and is associated with Caithness, Sutherland and Orkney. Motto is 'Aut Pax Aut Bellum' which means 'either peace or war' and the badge is a raised sword in a clenched fist. :cool:

I fight the temptation every single day, tribalism fills me with abhorrence. :D My starting point is being a member of the human race with all its faults and ambitions.

I'm apparently distantly related to Ian Anderson from Jethro Tull on my mother's side, what' his Clan and motto?

I do. It's called Big Lemon and the motto is pissflaps. I try to weave it into everything I do, much to the dislike of my employer!

That is just because they (I am half Scottish) hate the English. They said "so, the English wear trousers, so we will wear a skirt!" ....

/Michael McIntyre

That is total bollocks. Have you ever wandered around wet heather or moorland with trousers on? They get wet and cold very quickly. Trews or the plaid made more sense.
Weeps, my pal is also clan Gunn :) I have 2 clans. Not sure I really identify with either but it's nice to know :)

Clan Gunn through my mum apparently, which had a Viking progenitor and is associated with Caithness, Sutherland and Orkney. Motto is 'Aut Pax Aut Bellum' which means 'either peace or war' and the badge is a raised sword in a clenched fist. :cool:

You might want to take a look at this then. Check out the badge on the top right. Snap it up if you've got £3.20.

$T2eC16ZHJH8FHQv)vmdOBSfgERP(HQ~~60_12.JPG

My grandmother was a Belfast Gunn! We're related, in other words. . . so now we can never marry. :(

I could claim two, neither of whose motto resonates that much with me: "Ore et labore" and "endure fort".

Back
Top Bottom