Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do we support Insulate Britain?

Do we support Insulate Britain in here or not?

• Yes

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • No

Votes: 56 47.9%
  • Dont know

Votes: 21 17.9%

• Total voters
I've just read IB's open letter to the British public

"You have a choice. To act, to come and join us help change the tide of history, or to be a bystander and be complicit in enabling genocide."

That's their egotistical zealotry on full display. You're either with them or against them. Fail to glue yourself to a motorway to get the government to use general taxation to stuff everyone's home with Kingspan by 2025 or you're a genocide enabler.
The letter is OK until the last section you quote.

I'm starting to find this kind of attitude common in Green groups. Not just Insulate Britain. I'm finding it in my area. It shows a contempt for ordinary people. The either 100per cent for them or your against them is common view from those who hold Green ideas.

So someone like me who is sympthatic it puts me off. I've found this kind of attitude personally aggravating.

It's a bit like anti fascists isn't it. I'm pretty opposed to fascism myself but when thugs start blocking the road and shouting "they will not pass!" and getting in everyone's way it just pisses me off, I mean who do they think they are eh.

It's a bit like anti fascists isn't it. I'm pretty opposed to fascism myself but when thugs start blocking the road and shouting "they will not pass!" it just pisses me off, I mean who do they think they are eh.

Anti-fascists tend to block fascist marches, which is directly achieving the literal aim of their protest. IB want the government to insulate homes, blocking roads has nothing whatsoever to do with this. If anti-fascists started blcoking randoms on the M25 everyone would think WTF are they doing?

It's a bit like anti fascists isn't it. I'm pretty opposed to fascism myself but when thugs start blocking the road and shouting "they will not pass!" and getting in everyone's way it just pisses me off, I mean who do they think they are eh.

Pretty sure that anti-fascists stick to kicking fascists' heads in, as far as I know they don't go out of their way to inconvenience non-fascists.

Reactions: Ax^
At least they made their boilers run on a timer…

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think any Anti fascist groups hector the public to join up or they are complicit in genocide if they don't.

I personally don't have a problem with Insulate Britain blocking roads.

I do have a problem with their letter to the British public as I've already posted.

Pretty sure that anti-fascists stick to kicking fascists' heads in, as far as I know they don't go out of their way to inconvenience non-fascists.
lots of non-fascists were inconvenienced the day of waterloo as the station was shut. as was charing cross. on the poll tax riot i encountered an auld posh couple done up to the nines (man with crest on blazer etc) who asked what was going on. i said 'it's a riot' to which the woman replied 'they can't do that, they'll make us late for the opera'.

sadly people will be inconvenienced by lots of things.

lots of non-fascists were inconvenienced the day of waterloo as the station was shut. as was charing cross. on the poll tax riot i encountered an auld posh couple done up to the nines (man with crest on blazer etc) who asked what was going on. i said 'it's a riot' to which the woman replied 'they can't do that, they'll make us late for the opera'.

You should have said “I’ll just pop over and ask them if they can tone it down for a bit..”

:D

At least the poll tax rioters didn't base their protest solely on stopping people getting into opera houses. That would have been about as meaningful as IB blocking roundabouts.

Poor comparison, unless the anti-fascists told the old couple to join them or be complicit in genocide.

the anti-fascists famously at waterloo on 12.9.92, the poll tax riot 31.3.90

Well I was barely older than 5 years when any of that happened, so forgive me for mixing up the dates during a period in which I was mostly dribbling. But my point still stands, I don't believe that those involved threw out carelessly-written open letters accusing the general public of complicity in genocide. Having to take a small detour around a fashie getting their skull boxed in is going to be received much differently than encountering someone whose actual short-term goal involves stopping you from wherever you're going.

Well I was barely older than 5 years when any of that happened, so forgive me for mixing up the dates during a period in which I was mostly dribbling. But my point still stands, I don't believe that those involved threw out carelessly-written open letters accusing the general public of complicity in genocide. Having to take a small detour around a fashie getting their skull boxed in is going to be received much differently than encountering someone whose actual short-term goal involves stopping you from wherever you're going.
the post i addressed said nothing about letters, so i wasn't dealing with that at all. if you want your point about this letter to stand take it up with someone who has taken issue with it.

I see they're invoking AIDS victims now. Also doubling down on the genocide enabling, and the government is engaging in "a crime against humanity" by failing to summarily stuff everyone's home with sheets of Kingspan.

the post i addressed said nothing about letters, so i wasn't dealing with that at all. if you want your point about this letter to stand take it up with someone who has taken issue with it.

So you are walking back your defence of the silly "anti-fascists also inconvenienced people so therefore IB are justified" nonsense I take it?

It's called a paraphrase, I use quote boxes for actual quotes. But you know this, of course.
it's an invented paraphrase in that it doesn't reflect anything i have said. it is a confection of your devising rather than a reflection of my writing. to be plain, it is a lie.

it's an invented paraphrase in that it doesn't reflect anything i have said. it is a confection of your devising rather than a reflection of my writing. to be plain, it is a lie.

It's not anything I've attributed to you, in fact. If you read more carefully you'll see that I'm criticising you for defending it, not for saying it. Since you're not stupid, I have to wonder whether you are now lying.

I see they're invoking AIDS victims now. Also doubling down on the genocide enabling, and the government is engaging in "a crime against humanity" by failing to summarily stuff everyone's home with sheets of Kingspan.

Just looked about and I assume this is what you mean Insulate Britain response to the solidarity rally | Insulate Britain and for those that can't be arsed to look, its this bit at the end, "We don’t know if we will win, but we can no longer afford to lose. As the great Larry Kramer, founder of ACT UP, screamed, as gay men died in their thousands from Aids: “get in the streets or you’re gonna fucking die."

Their social media accounts (and XR's) are a proper torrent of abuse and dickhead comments aimed at them, predictable, but quite depressing tbh.

So you are walking back your defence of the silly "anti-fascists also inconvenienced people so therefore IB are justified" nonsense I take it?
It's not anything I've attributed to you, in fact. If you read more carefully you'll see that I'm criticising you for defending it, not for saying it. Since you're not stupid, I have to wonder whether you are now lying.
if you're paraphrasing - summarising - what people say why not summarise what people have said instead of inventing bits? just a thought like. i'm not defending the paraphrase in 682 because i didn't express those sentiments

Back
Top Bottom