Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Disney + streaming video recommendations thread

got to laugh at the I'm not miserable the one show I got thru was war of the world the bleakest series on the streaming service :D

I made it through the whole of the war of the worlds despite series 2 promising a complete lack of aliens (or another world for it to be plural??).
Cruella got a spin off the back of your review alone. My daughter (14) loved it.
I agree on both, War of the Worlds was ok but not compelling enough for me to watch season 2 and Cruella had its moments.

I'm far more critical about films and tv series than most people and I only write about a very small percentage of what I watch. When I do, then it's more likely to be about something I want to recommend.

I agree on both, War of the Worlds was ok but not compelling enough for me to watch season 2
Did you watch any of season 2? It was interesting, in that I would have liked to have have known what went on behind the scenes.
Felt like they were given another series, but only if they could quickly re-write it so that it was cheap (no expensive aliens or tech and the like), and they could wrap it all up pretty smarts. It was obvious early on they were going for the cop out ending, but I thought there would at least be some surprise. . or even a hopeless conclusion.
They went with a 'happy' ending that didn't make sense with the films established internal logic, leaving many details (large and small) not just unexplained, but as if they hadn't even been considered.

. . . . bit like black widow where she pulls up at the end on a motorbike in front of a massive plane in a massive empty field. The plane is out of shot on camera, (behind it, so Scarlet would have been looking right at it) but for some reason she can't see it until it is pointed at by her mate. "Oh that plane, I didn't see that on the long road I drove up on right towards it".

Easier to ignore it than figure out an expensive way of making it fit the script.

Did you watch any of season 2? It was interesting, in that I would have liked to have have known what went on behind the scenes.
Felt like they were given another series, but only if they could quickly re-write it so that it was cheap (no expensive aliens or tech and the like), and they could wrap it all up pretty smarts. It was obvious early on they were going for the cop out ending, but I thought there would at least be some surprise. . or even a hopeless conclusion.
They went with a 'happy' ending that didn't make sense with the films established internal logic, leaving many details (large and small) not just unexplained, but as if they hadn't even been considered.

. . . . bit like black widow where she pulls up at the end on a motorbike in front of a massive plane in a massive empty field. The plane is out of shot on camera, (behind it, so Scarlet would have been looking right at it) but for some reason she can't see it until it is pointed at by her mate. "Oh that plane, I didn't see that on the long road I drove up on right towards it".

Easier to ignore it than figure out an expensive way of making it fit the script.
I didn't watch any of season 2 and doubt I will bother. The first season had a surprisingly good cast and the human drama was more compelling than the alien menace, the K9es were rather silly. Could well be they they cut budget for season 2, I'm surprised it even got a second season because nobody was watching this show.

Marvel's 'What If...' has been a bit hit and miss for me, but a few episodes are rather decent imo, and once or twice, actually rather funny. What if Thor Were an Only Child in particular had me laughing out loud a couple of times.

I didn't watch any of season 2 and doubt I will bother. The first season had a surprisingly good cast and the human drama was more compelling than the alien menace, the K9es were rather silly. Could well be they they cut budget for season 2, I'm surprised it even got a second season because nobody was watching this show.
The human drama element was far more interesting than the alien attack for sure. The main problem of the show was that it was a cool 'end of the world' drama that was trying to in some small way connect to the work it was loosely based on.

I wish I could talk to someone about it, it's really quite amusing in many ways, and I bet what went on behind the scenes in the writing room is an even better story.

Marvel's 'What If...' has been a bit hit and miss for me, but a few episodes are rather decent imo, and once or twice, actually rather funny. What if Thor Were an Only Child in particular had me laughing out loud a couple of times.
Oh right, that's the one I am up to. I'll get back to you.
I know a lot of people didn't really like it but the captain Britain one was probably my favourite. . . . but to be honest that isn't saying much.

Well it’s almost slapstick comedy at places, but I continue to enjoy Hawkeye. At the very least I am entertained, and credit where it’s due: they’ve managed to turn the dullest and least interesting Avenger into someone likeable and amusing.

It’s almost as if Disney did a survey on The Falcon and Winter Soldier series and realised everyone found it so excruciatingly boring the way forward for their future series must be fast paced and more action-comedy based than moody slow drama shit. I hope so anyway.

Well it’s almost slapstick comedy at places, but I continue to enjoy Hawkeye. At the very least I am entertained, and credit where it’s due: they’ve managed to turn the dullest and least interesting Avenger into someone likeable and amusing.

It’s almost as if Disney did a survey on The Falcon and Winter Soldier series and realised everyone found it so excruciatingly boring the way forward for their future series must be fast paced and more action-comedy based than moody slow drama shit. I hope so anyway.
It's all about the branding for Hawkeye

Started Hawkeye last night and I'm not impressed yet. The falcon was terrible though. Even Loki didn't keep the momentum.

I just read that they have actually filmed a season 3.
Totally mental considering season 2 is like a clumsy rewrite to cheaply top off a series that they were hoping ran for longer with a far bigger budget.
It will actually be interesting to see where they go from here. They quite clearly have even less money and many of the actors have dropped out. They ended season 2 with very flimsy rationale for the initial invasion, and varying / contradicting on screen realisations of how time travel in the show actually works.

Can't wait.

Finished 'Only Murders In The Building' series one.
I liked it.
Probably not for fans of actual twisty turny murder mysteries, as there isn't a heck of a lot actually going on here (which I quite like, as it's 'almost' plausible). It's just nice gentle viewing shot and written well. I can't put my finger on what makes it good beyond that. maybe that's all that's needed. . . have a simple story, but tell it well.

The only thing on this service I’m interested in is Get Back. I understand they have stopped doing free trials. Is it easy enough to buy a month’s sub then cancel, or is it one of those where they make that hard to do/hide the right buttons etc?

The only thing on this service I’m interested in is Get Back. I understand they have stopped doing free trials. Is it easy enough to buy a month’s sub then cancel, or is it one of those where they make that hard to do/hide the right buttons etc?
Yes.
You can sign up and pay for a month and then cancel immediately. It will do a couple of 'are you sure' type questions that seem to imply that you will immediately lose the service but you won't. it will then tell you the date it will finish and automatically finish on that date.
If you wanted to watch get back you should have signed up for the special £1.99 offer they had when they stuck it up.

I find that doing Disney for one month every six months is probably about all you need. They take ages to reload with decent shows and films.

I signed on for the £1.99 and mine ends again in about 5 days but I'm pretty much done with it again. I never paid before, I've had all my Disney free so far.
Same with prime too actually. They apparently give the free monthly subs out randomly (and if you have never used it before, but I have had more than my fair share.

If you wanted to watch get back you should have signed up for the special £1.99 offer they had when they stuck it up.
I wasn’t aware of that at the time. In fact I wasn’t even aware of the service until it transpired that’s where Get Back was being shown.

I’ve checked out their other content. Marvel and Star Wars. Nothing there for me.

I wasn’t aware of that at the time. In fact I wasn’t even aware of the service until it transpired that’s where Get Back was being shown.

I’ve checked out their other content. Marvel and Star Wars. Nothing there for me.
Nah, it's not as great as it thinks it is.
The starz content might be interesting to you maybe?

I quite liked (OK) Only Murders in the Building and the Family watched some Pixar stuff.
There are a few unexpected film treats in there.

Die Hard is on there for Christmas. . . not sure why but that's been off every streamer for a while now (even D+) When Nflix and Prime had the films they both only started from DH2 onwards.

Not that I am a die hard Die Hard fan.

Nah, it's not as great as it thinks it is.
The starz content might be interesting to you maybe?

I quite liked (OK) Only Murders in the Building and the Family watched some Pixar stuff.
There are a few unexpected film treats in there.

Die Hard is on there for Christmas. . . not sure why but that's been off every streamer for a while now (even D+) When Nflix and Prime had the films they both only started from DH2 onwards.

Not that I am a die hard Die Hard fan.
I don’t understand any of that as a response. What is the Starz content?

1. Because it's both cheesy and gorgeous
2. John Barry
3. The USS Cygnus
4. Wasn't there when we last had the service, but am delighted your pic indicates it is
My why was for "why are you still waiting?".
Then a picture to illustrate that it is available

Oddly it's been free on you tube in full hd for the last few years (don't know if it still is), so I've ended up watching it a couple of times. I know it quite well from my youth (and saw it at the cinema) but never remembered the bizarre hell world ending. Not at all.

IMG_20211214_072045.jpg
And yes, enjoyable soundtrack.

Wish I still had my shreddies shrinkydinks.

My why was for "why are you still waiting?".
Then a picture to illustrate that it is available

Oddly it's been free on you tube in full hd for the last few years (don't know if it still is), so I've ended up watching it a couple of times. I know it quite well from my youth (and saw it at the cinema) but never remembered the bizarre hell world ending. Not at all.

View attachment 300729
And yes, enjoyable soundtrack.

Wish I still had my shreddies shrinkydinks.

Preferred mine before shrinking

S10 of American Horror Story has descended into a steaming pile of nonsensical shite. Don’t bother even if a big fan of the overall series. Or perhaps I should say especially if you are a big fan.

S10 of American Horror Story has descended into a steaming pile of nonsensical shite. Don’t bother even if a big fan of the overall series. Or perhaps I should say especially if you are a big fan.

Massive fan & will totally be tuning in for this. :D

ETA: had no idea it's on Disney, though :eek:

Back
Top Bottom