Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Disney + streaming video recommendations thread

Well, whereas not as original as WandaVision or crowd-pleasing as Loki, I rather enjoyed Hawkeye. The right pace and balance of comedy, action and drama, with the latter rightly coming off last overall.

They should leave it at that though. Perfectly adequate one-off entertainment vehicle but I doubt it has legs for any further seasons.

And credit where it’s due. If nothing else it has achieved an improbability in making arguably the least interesting and most forgettable Avenger into a witty and relatable one.

In the finale, the OTT obvious pantomime villain, Jack, who of course turns out to be nothing of the sort, really comes into his own. My new favourite minor Marvel character :D

I don’t expect the sequels to be anywhere as good as the original, but are they at least reasonably watchable? Only ever saw the first.
The first sequel is quite good and feels very much of a piece with the first film. The second not so much, but it's still watchable thanks to a young Sam Neill as the adult Damien.

I don’t expect the sequels to be anywhere as good as the original, but are they at least reasonably watchable? Only ever saw the first.

Wot Reno said!

Definitely a case of diminishing returns through the series, but there are good set piece scares in each of the sequels, and some decent performances. Neill is very steely eyed and charismatic in TFC, sort of perfecting his thoughtful constipation face.

Last edited:
Technical advice (Luddite alert):

My Samsung smart tv is apparently not smart enough for Disney plus. I therefore intend to get it on my laptop and connect the laptop to the tv.

Is it as simple as connecting them with a usb cable?

if you got a hdmi spare on your laptop it should not be that difficult hook up the to and pick the hdmi socket with your remote may need to faff around and drag the pixture to you telly

hey I hear you hung onto a old plasma till it died a noble death last year and had to buy a other telly

picture on the plasma was still better than Han the new one :(

I got a Chromecast for my old telly might be worth looking to not that prohibitively expensive

I get the Disney+ app through my NowTV stick, which plugs into the HMDI port of any TV. Obviously only good if you’re interested in NowTV enough to pay a subscription for it as well.

Technical advice (Luddite alert):

My Samsung smart tv is apparently not smart enough for Disney plus. I therefore intend to get it on my laptop and connect the laptop to the tv.

Is it as simple as connecting them with a usb cable?
I have a HDMI output from my macbook. won't go out of a USB as that's not a monitor output.

I've been looking at buying a new TV recently and luckily read a review that said Disney+ doesn't work on all TVs! Even buying a new one you have to be careful to pick one that does.

We currently have a pretty old, not smart TV but have a firestick and play Netflix & Disney through that.

Yeah, we have to route it through the computer onto the telly.

This looks interesting. Only watched the first fifteen minutes of ep1 one but downloaded the first three episodes to watch later.

Just started watching The Gloaming, a twisty, misty, slightly occult police procedural thriller series set in Tasmania. It is hilariously similar to Black Spot, a twisty, misty, slightly occult police procedural thriller series set in Belgium, right down to the tough single mum cop with a past and a fractured relationship with her damaged teenage daughter, the local shifty property baron somehow caught up in it all, the grisly present day slayings that somehow link back to an earlier mystery trauma that happened in the foggy woods etc etc etc. Quite good though, and very well made. Check it out if you enjoy long shots of people staring tensely at each other.

Oooh… big shout out to Wes Anderson fans. His brand new film The French Dispatch has just dropped. Advantages of Disney owning Fox I guess :)
Included in the package? Worth buying for a month if so.
Daughter wants to see some pixar film, me and the wife would enjoy the french dispatch and I guess I could watch all the boba fett.

Back
Top Bottom