Disney + streaming video recommendations thread

yes :)

very surprised meself

well as long as you have already sub to disney plus at least

why the hell is this out so early and they wasted the option with blackwidow

guessing its the amount of subtitles

Last edited:
I enjoyed Shang Chi a lot.

There is also a short documentary about the legacy of Boba Fett that came out yesterday which is quite good.

Reactions: Ax^
yes :)

very surprised meself

well as long as you have already sub to disney plus at least

why the hell is this out so early and they wasted the option with blackwidow

guessing its the amount of subtitles
Apparently it was "Disney+ Day" yesterday, whatever t'fuck that means. Don't know the Shang Chi release was to make a big deal of that, or the other way round.

It certainly is surprising it's out (and not even a 'prime' option) so soon after cinema release. Obviously it's their film, so that probably makes things easier, but I feel like the "no home release for X months" things comes from the cinemas as much as the dsitributors/studios.

That said, of course... how many cinemas are going to front up to Disney over this? Particularly after what the pandemic has done to them.

Reactions: Ax^
Thanks to those who pointed out/ recommended Shang Chi. I actually saw its trailer in the cinema a while ago and it left me massively underwhelmed. But it’s turned out to be very enjoyable.

Thanks also ruffneck23 for the Boba Fett documentary heads-up, rather enjoyed that too.

Last edited:
I bought a month of that Disney plus because it was £2 on Sunday.

The whole family are enjoying Loki. The first episode was very cinematic, the others a little less so, but it's really good telly. I love it when it does the big bombastic almost John carpenter cross Williams score .

The daughter likes Only Murders in the Building. I'm hoping it's a self contained mini series and not something that runs forever.

'What if' is ok, but three episodes in and it's really only going to be washing up fodder.

There was a Bob's burgers type cartoon that was good. . . was it called the wild?

I have not watched The Orville for years. It will do. It does star trek better than star trek.

Thanks to those who pointed out/ recommended Shang Chi. I actually saw its trailer in the cinema a while ago and it left me massively underwhelmed. But it’s turned out to be very enjoyable.
I watched the trailer yesterday and thought I would just give the whole thing a miss. Looks rubbish. Is the trailer that much of a misfire?

I watched the trailer yesterday and thought I would just give the whole thing a miss. Looks rubbish. Is the trailer that much of a misfire?
Yes. I thought it would be awful from the trailer, but the film turned out to be not just much, much better but also rather different than the trailer suggested.

Yes. I thought it would be awful from the trailer, but the film turned out to be not just much, much better but also rather different than the trailer suggested.
OK that sounds promising, I'll put it back in the list. I don't think I have ever seen such a disappointing trailer. . . . especially one that contains kung fu. People should be losing their jobs over that. It's like the anti-trailer. Without it I would have just switched it on no questions.

In other news. I started watching the French/English War of the worlds. So far it seems passable.
Looking forward to seeing the rest of Solar Opposites (that had not dropped last time I was on DP)
The finale of the falcon and the winter soldier was just as boring as the rest of it. He looks well stupid in that suit, and not having any super powers is just super lame. US Agent is a much more interesting prospect.

Heard good things about Free Guy from just about everyone. . . . . but I didn't like it.
Well maybe that is a bit harsh. It's a bit boring and not significantly better then other sci-fi family fluff. Boo.

Heard good things about Free Guy from just about everyone. . . . . but I didn't like it.
Well maybe that is a bit harsh. It's a bit boring and not significantly better then other sci-fi family fluff. Boo.

Watched it a little while ago, and the more I think about it the less I like how it was done.

There's a much better film in there somewhere.

To anyone who likes cheesy feelgood reality programmes that put a smile on your face, I thoroughly recommend Encore. It’s a series that reunites middle aged people who starred in their high school musical play when they were students, and gets them to reenact the play decades later in front of their families.

Good human interest content, from their catching up with each other again, to facing up to what life has thrown at them since their carefree teenage days, to most satisfying watch them reprise the roles they played a lifetime ago in front of their proud families and drop-jawed young kids. Not high television but a good mood enhancer, and more so if you like musicals.

First two episodes of Marvel’s Hawkeye have just dropped. I am pleased to say the first episode was a great deal better than I’d expected. A surprisingly entertaining opening :)
I saw it had arrived but just couldn't summon up the power to watch a story about the arrows man. . . Especially after that falcon nonsense. We did start shang chi though, and so far it is indeed vastly better than the trailer. Something does feel very wrong with the pacing and staging though. The whole thing seems just to big, fast and constantly convenient for the characters. Ben Kingsley is good though isn't he. Glad I watched that marvel short before hand, I had no idea they were related.

Last edited:
I saw it had arrived but just couldn't summon up the power to watch a story about the arrows man. . . Especially after that falcon nonsense. We did start shang chi though, and so far it is indeed vastly better than the trailer. Something does feel very wrong with the pacing and staging though. The whole thing seems just to big, fast and constantly convenient for the characters. Ben Kingsley is good though isn't he. Glad I watched that marvel short before hand, I had no idea they were related.
Oh, what’s the name of this short you speak of?

Oh, what’s the name of this short you speak of?
Something about the king. Hail to the king maybe? It's about ben Kingsleys Derek in prison and the flimsy reason how/why he was busted out to be in shang chi (didn't know that when I watched it, which probably made it a better viewing experience). So far it's better than the shang chi film itself, probably because its all Kingsley.

Watched it a little while ago, and the more I think about it the less I like how it was done.

There's a much better film in there somewhere.
The beginning of it was so similar to the beginning of The Lego Movie we were throwing our hands up in despair. If I bought DVDs I wouldn't bother with this film.

Disney streaming update.

Watched all of War of the Worlds (the French/English one)
Some actually quite decent drama, but the 'aliens' and the idea of them were a bit underdeveloped. Terrible shame considering the rest of the show. All felt very incoherent by the end of the show. Too many questions, crap end.

Shang Chi
Better than the trailer suggests, but still too bombastic and CGI for me. Passable Marvel that I won't watch again.

Back Widow
Childish cartoony script. Too many questions "why on Earth did they do that?" . . . My daughter was sarcastically making comments throughout. Again, passable Marvel, but I won't be watching it again.

The Owl House
My daughter likes it. Sounds like it's got Teri Hatcher doing the voice.

Marvel What if
I'm just soooo bored. Only persevering because I have only a month free.

Solar Opposites
Great still, but seems to be getting a tad ruder? I don't mind the comic violence and sex refs but it's so full on in the second season that I can't really watch it with my daughter.

Luca
Fun for all the family. They loved it, I thought it was watchable.

Cruellla
Decent. Not my bag but better than average, the family loved it.

Enchanted
Decent enough set up and looked like it was going in the right direction (rats and cockroaches doing the Snow White thing), but then went waaaaaay off track. Had my daughter screaming at the screen "why why?" Not cool.

The Great North
Bobs Burger type cartoon. I like it. Passable, but I won't miss it.

Disney streaming update.

Watched all of War of the Worlds (the French/English one)
Some actually quite decent drama, but the 'aliens' and the idea of them were a bit underdeveloped. Terrible shame considering the rest of the show. All felt very incoherent by the end of the show. Too many questions, crap end.

Shang Chi
Better than the trailer suggests, but still too bombastic and CGI for me. Passable Marvel that I won't watch again.

Back Widow
Childish cartoony script. Too many questions "why on Earth did they do that?" . . . My daughter was sarcastically making comments throughout. Again, passable Marvel, but I won't be watching it again.

The Owl House
My daughter likes it. Sounds like it's got Teri Hatcher doing the voice.

Marvel What if
I'm just soooo bored. Only persevering because I have only a month free.

Solar Opposites
Great still, but seems to be getting a tad ruder? I don't mind the comic violence and sex refs but it's so full on in the second season that I can't really watch it with my daughter.

Luca
Fun for all the family. They loved it, I thought it was watchable.

Cruellla
Decent. Not my bag but better than average, the family loved it.

Enchanted
Decent enough set up and looked like it was going in the right direction (rats and cockroaches doing the Snow White thing), but then went waaaaaay off track. Had my daughter screaming at the screen "why why?" Not cool.

The Great North
Bobs Burger type cartoon. I like it. Passable, but I won't miss it.
You're just a fun vampire aren't you ?

I've just got it for the Beatles documentary. I love the Beatles (well post Rubber Soul anyway) so I'm loving that. To see the anvil Mal Evans hits on the awful Maxwell's Silver Hammer. Stuff like that.

I've not watched owt else yet, although my friend recommended Reservation Dogs to me.

I thought that post was surprisingly positive compared to AS' usual assessments. :D
I made it through the whole of the war of the worlds despite series 2 promising a complete lack of aliens (or another world for it to be plural??).
Cruella got a spin off the back of your review alone. My daughter (14) loved it.

Back
Top Bottom