Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Disney + streaming video recommendations thread

Yes. You won't like it.
I know I won't, with the added bonus of it including my old nemesis Matt Berry.
Listened to a podcast about it last night and the presenters focused a substantial amount of time on the fact that Berry wasn't in it enough. Ugh.

I also can't stand how jarringly unlike boba fett the tubby actor looks. How long was he down that pit? Was it made of lasagna?
Should have used some of that CGI everybody is mad about these days.
Yeah, tbf, I wasn't super keen on the whole series either - started off promisingly, but I thought the ending was a complete mess.

And the age of Temuera Morrison is a bit grating, given he's about 20 years older than Boba Fett is supposed to be.

Fans of the Kingsman film franchise or people looking for mindless action thriller films might be interested to know the new, third film in the franchise, The King’s Man, has just dropped.

I don’t get the mediocre aggregator reviews. It is undoubtedly a million miles better than Kingsman 2. Not necessarily better than the first film, but then it’s a surprisingly different film from its predecessors. A lot darker at places, and less centred around the amazingly well choreographed fight scenes that were the hallmark of the franchise. It certainly develops in a way you don’t see coming.

In any event, Ralph Fiennes is highly enjoyable in it, and I would strongly recommend it to fans of the franchise.

That’s the second recently released in recent days film I was pleasantly surprised to see available on Disney+ for no additional fee :)

Fans of the Kingsman film franchise or people looking for mindless action thriller films might be interested to know the new, third film in the franchise, The King’s Man, has just dropped.

I don’t get the mediocre aggregator reviews. It is undoubtedly a million miles better than Kingsman 2. Not necessarily better than the first film, but then it’s a surprisingly different film from its predecessors. A lot darker at places, and less centred around the amazingly well choreographed fight scenes that were the hallmark of the franchise. It certainly develops in a way you don’t see coming.

In any event, Ralph Fiennes is highly enjoyable in it, and I would strongly recommend it to fans of the franchise.

That’s the second recently released in recent days film I was pleasantly surprised to see available on Disney+ for no additional fee :)
I thought it was very much not good. A few interesting bits or touches, but overall over-long, under-baked and flabby.

I thought it was very much not good. A few interesting bits or touches, but overall over-long, under-baked and flabby.
It was a bit too long, and the depiction of Rasputin was underwhelming, weird and bordering on the preposterous even for a flick of this nature. But once you get to roughly the halfway mark, both the tone of the film and the fate of some of its main characters goes in a way I had not expected at all. For that alone I have to award it points. At least it comes across as far less conventional and clichéd as Kingsman 2, which frankly was a by-the-numbers totally predictable sequel solely riding on the success of the first film.

It was a bit too long, and the depiction of Rasputin was underwhelming, weird and bordering on the preposterous even for a flick of this nature. But once you get to roughly the halfway mark, both the tone of the film and the fate of some of its main characters goes in a way I had not expected at all. For that alone I have to award it points. At least it comes across as far less conventional and clichéd as Kingsman 2, which frankly was a by-the-numbers totally predictable sequel solely riding on the success of the first film.
I liked the punch of the mid-point twist, and Fiennes was decent, but the Goldman-less script felt unfinished, and the ending rushed (which is ironic given how long the film was despite practically everything being telegraphed from the initial set-up).

I subscribed for month from today, noticed this and Jojo Rabbit and a few other new things. Worth the cost of a months viewing I think. Got it for a Disney film my daughter wanted to watch (tided her room and did her homework. Good girl. Well done.)

I heard the Kings Man had quite good reviews.

Just watching the first Boba Fest now. Man the actor is just waaaaay too fat and old for this to make sense. It just looks silly (especially when he is laying on his back).

I subscribed for month from today, noticed this and Jojo Rabbit and a few other new things. Worth the cost of a months viewing I think. Got it for a Disney film my daughter wanted to watch (tided her room and did her homework. Good girl. Well done.)

I heard the Kings Man had quite good reviews.

Just watching the first Boba Fest now. Man the actor is just waaaaay too fat and old for this to make sense. It just looks silly (especially when he is laying on his back).
Even many a hardcore SW fan will probably admit that on the whole Boba Fett was a missed opportunity and certainly inferior to Mandalorian. But even if you think it’s shit you must still watch ep5, because not only it’s in effect the first episode of the next season of Mandalorian, but arguably as good a Mandalorian episode as any to date.

FWIW the first two episodes are worth watching for the past time part of the story involving the Sand People. For me the best part of this series and far more enjoyable than the present timeline.

Even many a hardcore SW fan will probably admit that on the whole Boba Fett was a missed opportunity and certainly inferior to Mandalorian. But even if you think it’s shit you must still watch ep5, because not only it’s in effect the first episode of the next season of Mandalorian, but arguably as good a Mandalorian episode as any to date.

FWIW the first two episodes are worth watching for the past time part of the story involving the Sand People. For me the best part of this series and far more enjoyable than the present timeline.
Well considering I only really liked a couple of Mandalorian episodes I doubt I am the target audience. Looked much shitter than the Mandalorian though, a bit cheap around the edges. Also so much more childish, like an episode of the A team. Some bits were downright laughable. . . . "back to the flashback bath for you lord Fett"

Well considering I only really liked a couple of Mandalorian episodes I doubt I am the target audience. Looked much shitter than the Mandalorian though, a bit cheap around the edges. Also so much more childish, like an episode of the A team. Some bits were downright laughable. . . . "back to the flashback bath for you lord Fett"
Yeah, in that case you’ll dislike it even more. But if you’re willing to give a try to one episode, watch 5. It won’t even spoil the preceding storyline in the unlikely case you later on decided you want to watch the whole thing.

The French Dispatch is Wes Anderson's most Wes Anderson film yet. I love Wes Anderson films but even for me it took me until a few hours after finishing to decide it is a great film.

The French Dispatch is Wes Anderson's most Wes Anderson film yet. I love Wes Anderson films but even for me it took me until a few hours after finishing to decide it is a great film.
I'm looking forward to this. They have added a load more of his films too.
I still haven't seen the original short version of bottle rocket (his first film)

I'm pretty sure that's on YouTube.
Oh really?
The only place I have ever seen it was as a for rent only DVD only available in the US. Thought it would have been an obvious extra to the Bottle Rocket DVD, but I assume there is a rights issue or something.

I'll stick that on when I have finished watching this Boba fett thing.

Oh really?
The only place I have ever seen it was as a for rent only DVD only available in the US. Thought it would have been an obvious extra to the Bottle Rocket DVD, but I assume there is a rights issue or something.

I'll stick that on when I have finished watching this Boba fett thing.

Started on Dopestick.
I think it's going to be a difficult watch.

Watched Robs gone wrong - Shite, but my daughter (14) thought it was acceptable. Basically sub par pixar. Story not good enough, jokes not good enough, internal logic not good enough. . . . not short enough.

I think I am on episode 6 of boba fett, still a kids show like the Battlestar galactica tv series or something. I was told 5 and 6 were the episodes to get excited about, but I didn't feel a significant change in enthusiasm.
Now this may be controversial, but . . . I am perhaps more interested a a whole than I was with the Mandolorian. The Mandalorian was obviously better overall, but I almost completely switched off at times and just wanted it to end. Boba fett is kids tv trash, but despite the clunky flashbacks, cheap script and sets etc I am perhaps along for the ride slightly more? As I have said before, it's probably just not my bag. I just don't care about starwars anymore. It's 20 years too late.

Also started on Hit Monkey - Too early to say, but I think I hate it.

Started on Dopestick.
I think it's going to be a difficult watch.

Watched Robs gone wrong - Shite, but my daughter (14) thought it was acceptable. Basically sub par pixar. Story not good enough, jokes not good enough, internal logic not good enough. . . . not short enough.

I think I am on episode 6 of boba fett, still a kids show like the Battlestar galactica tv series or something. I was told 5 and 6 were the episodes to get excited about, but I didn't feel a significant change in enthusiasm.
Now this may be controversial, but . . . I am perhaps more interested a a whole than I was with the Mandolorian. The Mandalorian was obviously better overall, but I almost completely switched off at times and just wanted it to end. Boba fett is kids tv trash, but despite the clunky flashbacks, cheap script and sets etc I am perhaps along for the ride slightly more? As I have said before, it's probably just not my bag. I just don't care about starwars anymore. It's 20 years too late.

Also started on Hit Monkey - Too early to say, but I think I hate it.
There’s something strangely beautiful about your last sentence there, ATOMIC SUPLEX :D

Any plans to check out Pam & Tommy? I’m not going to suggest you might like it because all bets are off with you if I may be so bold, but it is surprisingly good- and I am saying that as one who literally couldn’t give any less of a fuck about celebrities like them, so not something I was in any any way partial to before I started watching.

There’s something strangely beautiful about your last sentence there, ATOMIC SUPLEX :D

Any plans to check out Pam & Tommy? I’m not going to suggest you might like it because all bets are off with you if I may be so bold, but it is surprisingly good- and I am saying that as one who literally couldn’t give any less of a fuck about celebrities like them, so not something I was in any any way partial to before I started watching.
I probably will. It's also not a subject I am interested in, but I have heard it's good.

Saw the last boba fett last night. There was a moment when I thought it was actually pretty good, but that ever escalating fight really outstayed it's welcome and I got super bored. Should have bought the big droids out at the beginning and crushed everyone in an instant. The whole affair felt very bombastic and yet small at the same time. The world where this is all taking place is sometimes supposed to be huge (Trapped in the endless desert, a life on a distant planet) and then easy to quickly jump from one location to another. I know this is explained, but I just didn't 'feel' it.
It also suddenly occurred to me how daft it seemed that boba was now an out and out goodie. Are we really supposed to put this down to his time with the sand men? Again, I know this was explained to us (the program tells us rather than shows us) but that just didn't feel right either.

JoJo Rabbit

Watched it with my daughter, we both very much enjoyed it. Not quite what I was expecting.
It is certainly not a conventional WWII story… I gather you hadn’t previously heard anything about its premise? I was aware of it and still thoroughly enjoyed it.

The main lead character playing the Jewish girl in hiding is also great in Last Night In Soho, btw. Don’t know where you can currently catch that on though.

It is certainly not a conventional WWII story… I gather you hadn’t previously heard anything about its premise? I was aware of it and still thoroughly enjoyed it.

The main lead character playing the Jewish girl in hiding is also great in Last Night In Soho, btw. Don’t know where you can currently catch that on though.
You really need to see her in Leave No Trace - such a talent

I knew it was about a German kid in ww2 with Hitler as his imaginary friend. From trailers etc I was expecting it to be like the first 30 minutes.
There are a couple of horrific moments that don't pack the full emotional punch the deserve, but I gladly except that it fits the overall tone / balance of the film. My daughter was watching and enjoyed it, these scenes were important, but we were not watching 'come and see', and I think it was probably shocking enough for a 14 year old. Quite glad it wasn't wacky Hitler all the way through. Entertaining, sad, funny, shocking, thoughtful and even perhaps educational (my daughter is currently learning about Hitler in school).

As comedy Jojo Rabbit didn’t make me laugh once and setting it in some Wes Anderson-rip-off Nowereland while going overboard with the sentimentality trivialized it’s subject matter. Give me ‘Allo Allo over this anytime.

As comedy Jojo Rabbit didn’t make me laugh once and setting it in some Wes Anderson-rip-off Nowereland while going overboard with the sentimentality trivialized it’s subject matter. Give me ‘Allo Allo over this anytime.
I don't think it was a comedy (though it might have been billed as such?). Certainly the daughter and I chuckled at a couple of points, but it's not an out and out comedy very much like waititis other films (eagle vs shark etc). While I agree that some of the hard hitting moments did feel tivialisrivialed and didn't pack the emotional punch I expected (rather like the troubling aspects were just brushed aside) as I mentioned, I think on reflection it fitted the general tone. It did bother me at the time.
It's a good starting point to start a conversation with my daughter, (this has already begun with her asking deeper questions), might be time to get maus out again.

I would not in a million year choose Allo Allo over this, and was rather disappointed to see the stock Allo Allo joke of everyone individually heil Hitlering everyone in the room .

I really enjoyed JoJo Rabbit at the cinema. I’ve got a loan of a Disney + account at present so will try and catch it again.

I don't think it was a comedy (though it might have been billed as such?). Certainly the daughter and I chuckled at a couple of points, but it's not an out and out comedy very much like waititis other films (eagle vs shark etc). While I agree that some of the hard hitting moments did feel tivialisrivialed and didn't pack the emotional punch I expected (rather like the troubling aspects were just brushed aside) as I mentioned, I think on reflection it fitted the general tone. It did bother me at the time.
It's a good starting point to start a conversation with my daughter, (this has already begun with her asking deeper questions), might be time to get maus out again.

I would not in a million year choose Allo Allo over this, and was rather disappointed to see the stock Allo Allo joke of everyone individually heil Hitlering everyone in the room .
Of course it is meant to be a comedy, it’s just painfully unfunny. There is almost nothing in films I hate more than sentimentalizing the Holocaust and “daringly” lacing it with someone clowning around in the middle of it. Life is Beautiful is tops of my Worst Films Ever list.

I knew I’d probably hate this, I just liked some of Waititi’s previous films and wondered whether he’d pull it off. He didn’t.

Of course it is meant to be a comedy, it’s just painfully unfunny. There is almost nothing in films I hate more than sentimentalizing the Holocaust and “daringly” lacing it with someone clowning around in the middle of it. Life is Beautiful is tops of my Worst Films Ever list.

I knew I’d probably hate this, I just liked some of Waititi’s previous films and wondered whether he’d pull it off. He didn’t.
I don't think it's an out and out comedy, but yes it could be described as such in the same way his action adventure film waititis thor was humourous. I did personally find it amusing, (as mentioned before, in the subdued style of eagle vs shark) far more amusing than Allo Allo (which I never found in the slightest bit funny) and it's definitely much more my bag than the producers. I disagree that it sentimentalised the holocaust, the comedic elements (from subtle to slapstick and absurd) had mixed results but on the whole I enjoyed it. It's not a hard hitting adult film, but it was one that perfectly suited an evening with my daughter (14) who is studying Hitler and the holocaust. As mentioned before it started a conversation in a way that wouldn't have worked with a more gritty realistic film.

Back
Top Bottom