Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Disney + streaming video recommendations thread

French Dispatch.

It's ok. I know it's not supposed to be a regular film, but I didn't come away feeling satisfied. The film making itself was the lead performer. On the one hand I know the style was 'the point', but it was also very distracting. Though beautiful, it did at times drag and become a tad eyerolling.
The animated section reminded me of Anderson's other animated films, and that he could do highly stylised films with a satisfying story and without distraction.
Probably his most ambitious work, I enjoyed the deviation from a regular movie format (and the multiple aspect ratios worked very well without being at all intrusive), but a but like The Royal Tenenbaums it felt like too much of an up it's arse test film, pushing boundaries rather than being a decent film in its own right.

Hold your preplanned lapsing of the Disney+ membership, ATOMIC SUPLEX . Nightmare Alley was definitely not worth it, but brand new dark comedy thriller Fresh has far more positive reviews, and twenty minutes in, it looks pretty promising.

An hour in, still pretty good but it is much closer to a grindhouse film than your average dark comedy. It’s pretty fucked up, actually.

I know the adult stuff on Disney is all from the third party studios they now own rather than in-house productions. But still, I suspect plenty of people who decide to subscribe to Disney+ do so for its extensive catalogue of kids’ content, and must be taken aback when they discover not only the insane amount of adult content available, but also how it constitutes the great majority of the featured/ front page stuff.

In other news, I hereby recommend Star Wars: Visions to fans of the galaxy far far away, especially if you also like Japanese animation as well. I had never checked it out until now as I incorrectly thought it was a nerdy ’behind-the-scenes’ concept art documentary. But far from it, it is in fact a nine-episode anthology of independent Star Wars-inspired short animation stories made by nine different Japanese animation studios. Very watchable :)

In other news, I hereby recommend Star Wars: Visions to fans of the galaxy far far away, especially if you also like Japanese animation as well. I had never checked it out until now as I incorrectly thought it was a nerdy ’behind-the-scenes’ concept art documentary. But far from it, it is in fact a nine-episode anthology of independent Star Wars-inspired short animation stories made by nine different Japanese animation studios. Very watchable :)
We tried two or three in a very Japanese friendly, but not quite so star wars friendly house, and over all its didn't go down particularly well.
An hour in, still pretty good but it is much closer to a grindhouse film than your average dark comedy. It’s pretty fucked up, actually.

I know the adult stuff on Disney is all from the third party studios they now own rather than in-house productions. But still, I suspect plenty of people who decide to subscribe to Disney+ do so for its extensive catalogue of kids’ content, and must be taken aback when they discover not only the insane amount of adult content available, but also how it constitutes the great majority of the featured/ front page stuff.
I appear to have some of today left on my subscription. I started watching this morning, about a half hour in and it looks good. I hope I have time to properly finish it.

We tried two or three in a very Japanese friendly, but not quite so star wars friendly house, and over all its didn't go down particularly well.

I appear to have some of today left on my subscription. I started watching this morning, about a half hour in and it looks good. I hope I have time to properly finish it.
Not one you might want to watch with your daughter around, mind :D

I think you’ll agree later. Not completely outrageous, but certainly a bit fucked up.
Aw bum, bath too long. It's gone. Bit of a bummer as all you need to do is start playing the film before the end of the subscription without stopping and you can over run (It basically won't cut you off mid film). . . but I missed it by a couple of minutes.

A strong family-friendly entertainment recommendation for Parallels, a time travel sci-fi miniseries. It is meant to be for young adults but I reckon many grown ups will enjoy it too- we certainly did.

It is similar in many ways to Dark, with a dose of Back to the Future thrown in for good measure. And don’t be put off by the fact that it’s described as a family/ young adult series. The science and plot devices revolving around time travel are surprisingly complex and clever- it’s basically Dark as you wish you could have understood it :D

Brand new award-winning film The Eyes of Tammy Faye, for which Jessica Chastain has just won an Oscar, is now available. Starting it now, I’ll report afterwards.

ok so its no batman but the character is like a throw back to early comic heros

so looking forward to it

Brand new award-winning film The Eyes of Tammy Faye, for which Jessica Chastain has just won an Oscar, is now available. Starting it now, I’ll report afterwards.
It’s just about alright. Chastain’s performance is brilliant and a worthy recipient of the Oscar, but the film itself is more like 6/10 overall. I suspect it might resonate more with American audiences.

At least it’s not an endorsement of any kind for organised religion, which I was slightly worried it might be given how religious the lead character was. Though I would have been surprised if the film had turned out that way, as Chastain (who’s been wanting to make this film all her life) never came across as the god-bothering type.

Not worth paying for, but worth watching if already have a Disney + subscription, imo at least.

Not that I’m complaining, but that’s two brand new major cinematic release films in a row being made available on Disney + at the same time. How much money do these people have?

Not great news for cinemas though…

Just watched Moon Knight - loved it!

I have actually read quite a lot of the original comics, as my brother collected them in the 80s. Series not a lot like them and that's fine because they were a pretty straightlaced mystical-batman ripoff and what they're doing with the series is much more interesting.

Can't wait to see what my brother thinks, as he'll certainly be watching it with nephew although not right now because ironically he's on a trip to Cairo this week,

It's ok. Better than Murder on the Orient Express
Just watched DotN. I don’t know what’s wrong with them - they’re well cast, but the actors seem to be in restraints. Why cast French and Saunders and Brand, and not let them be campy and full-on.

It’s very gorgeous and tasteful, and the ubiquitous accent-swapping is successful, and the acting is never less than fine but…

Back
Top Bottom