Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Disney + streaming video recommendations thread

Just watched DotN. I don’t know what’s wrong with them - they’re well cast, but the actors seem to be in restraints. Why cast French and Saunders and Brand, and not let them be campy and full-on.

It’s very gorgeous and tasteful, and the ubiquitous accent-swapping is successful, and the acting is never less than fine but…
Agreed although I thought Dawn French was great.

Just watched DotN. I don’t know what’s wrong with them - they’re well cast, but the actors seem to be in restraints. Why cast French and Saunders and Brand, and not let them be campy and full-on.

It’s very gorgeous and tasteful, and the ubiquitous accent-swapping is successful, and the acting is never less than fine but…
I tell you what my problem is. If you have read the books or watched any previous film versions of those novels you already know who’s done it. No matter how well done they might end up being or what an ensemble cast they might have, by sticking to the original plot the mystery element of the film is ruined.

The moment the husband got shot in the leg I was immediately reminded the 1978 Ustinov version, and as I instantly knew who the baddies were and what the main plot twist was. Same goes for Orient Express. At least two previous film versions I can think of so what’s the point? With seminal works of literature, such as Shakespeare’s plays, it doesn’t matter at all if one knows the outcome because it’s all about the individual performances and the direction. But with a murder mystery story that is celebrated for its plot rather than the excellence of its writing, a remake of the same story just doesn’t cut it.

aside from the vampire, the master and magic weapons shite

:hmm:

it would of work better as series about salems lot

I tell you what my problem is. If you have read the books or watched any previous film versions of those novels you already know who’s done it. No matter how well done they might end up being or what an ensemble cast they might have, by sticking to the original plot the mystery element of the film is ruined.

The moment the husband got shot in the leg I was immediately reminded the 1978 Ustinov version, and as I instantly knew who the baddies were and what the main plot twist was. Same goes for Orient Express. At least two previous film versions I can think of so what’s the point? With seminal works of literature, such as Shakespeare’s plays, it doesn’t matter at all if one knows the outcome because it’s all about the individual performances and the direction. But with a murder mystery story that is celebrated for its plot rather than the excellence of its writing, a remake of the same story just doesn’t cut it.
If that's the problem, then why was the Murder on the Orient Express remake so successful ?

If that's the problem, then why was the Murder on the Orient Express remake so successful ?
WWIW I enjoyed both Orient Express and this one, and I’m not saying they’re bad films, but I still feel if Branagh had dared to change more elements of the plot, they could have been better films.

WWIW I enjoyed both Orient Express and this one, and I’m not saying they’re bad films, but I still feel if Branagh had dared to change more elements of the plot, they could have been better films.
There are two main types of audiences for this, Agatha Christie fans who want to see a faithful adaption of the novels and those who aren't familiar with those stories. As she was queen of the denouement, it's a unlikely a screenwriter could improve on her plots and changing the outcome would be like drawing a moustache on the Mona Lisa. A lot of people simply don't watch old films and don't know the outcome and while I prefer the 70s films, the new films have been changed in terms of pacing, politics and representation to appeal to modern tastes.

The new Chip n Dale movie has gone straight to Disney+ and it's surprisingly excellent.

Not really a kids movie, and full of references to decades of Disney and non Disney IPs. Directed by one of the Lonely Island guys and starring Andy Samberg, lots of fun cameos too.

I knew The Orville had been renewed for a third season, but there were no plans announced about it being shown in the UK. I’d given up on catching it, but I am happy to report it’s available on Disney+. First episode up now.

Watched all of Pistol.

It’s a funny thing, tonally. Too short to tell the story without broad strokes, but too long for Boyle to do his thing properly (ie: creating a stylised-yet-gritty, darkly comic world where consequences are grim but the fallout of the grimness is necessarily elided).

I’d have liked him to have made it as a film (or as a 10-12 parter).

For all Lydon’s tantrums, he comes out of it rather well, and in fact there’s sympathy for almost everyone - including Sid. Only Maclaren (sp?) is totally savaged, and I’m sure he deserved it.

Watched all of Pistol.

It’s a funny thing, tonally. Too short to tell the story without broad strokes, but too long for Boyle to do his thing properly (ie: creating a stylised-yet-gritty, darkly comic world where consequences are grim but the fallout of the grimness is necessarily elided).

I’d have liked him to have made it as a film (or as a 10-12 parter).

For all Lydon’s tantrums, he comes out of it rather well, and in fact there’s sympathy for almost everyone - including Sid. Only Maclaren (sp?) is totally savaged, and I’m sure he deserved it.
On the last episode now after binging it over the last couple of days, enjoying it, pretty much agree with what you say above.

I watched 5 of these Pistol episodes. I skipped the 5th Sid and Nancy one as it was looking too grim.

I think it's very mixed as a series. The things liked most were:

-the amazing period recreations, right down to the look of the supporting characters (e.g. Bromley Contingent)
- taking the main view point from Steve Jones (though they didn't get this quite right)
-some of the acting - the Chrissie Hyde performance in particular is excellent, but the quality of acting is excellent

But there's a lot wrong with it:

- the dialogue
-the Maclaren and Westwood characterisations are just flat out cartoon-like and ridiculous
- it gets both Jones and Lydon wrong: Jones wasn't the articulate slightly troubled person but charming person you see bantering with Chrissie Hyde. Lydon wasn't the consistent principled person (especially in the last episode)

So there’s a new series flashing up on the featured banner called Abbott Elementary. The synopsis made it look like a cheesy vanilla comedy-drama so we didn’t bother checking it out. But I have just seen that it in fact appears to be an excellent comedy similar to the likes of Community, and more importantly with rave reviews from both the critics and the public. So worth checking out. Will report when I do myself.

Marvel’s next new miniseries, Ms Marvel, has started dropping.. it’s a coming of age teenage-centric story that features Marvel’s first Muslim superhero.

Not sure yet it’s meant to be a teenage/ young adult oriented series, or the same age group-targeting as all the previous ones. It feels like the former so far. In any case, episode one is perfectly watchable.

ahh did not know it was on disney plus first season was gold before i forgot about it

death by coke up the arse in the first episode :thumbs:

Looking forward to that T & P

Have finally started Ms Marvel, which I'm loving so far. The second episode has something I have never yet seen represented on film or telly, namely a portrayal of religion's role in family life that I can relate to; as in we go to our places of worship, we might not always take it super-seriously but it is meaningful to us spiritually, it's significant socially but it's not our entire lives.

- Finished Ms Marvel. More lighthearted and younger audience oriented than any other Marvel series, but still pretty enjoyable for grownups, and as a bonus it will have pissed off alt-right Marvel fans no end- so recommended.

- Thorough mid-season recommendations for Only Murders in the Building, and The Orville. Both better than their respective previous seasons, and in the case of the latter, a brilliant, progressive and thought-provoking moral philosophy theme throughout. Like vintage Star Trek NG.

Its title is not particularly encouraging, but we’ve rather enjoyed the first episode of Under the Hammer of Heaven. It’s a police crime drama series involving the Mormon community. Not usually drawn to police dramas as there’s such a saturation of them already, but this one is so far well written and intriguing. Good cast too.

Its title is not particularly encouraging, but we’ve rather enjoyed the first episode of Under the Hammer of Heaven. It’s a police crime drama series involving the Mormon community. Not usually drawn to police dramas as there’s such a saturation of them already, but this one is so far well written and intriguing. Good cast too.
Enjoyed it right until the last episode which I thought was really disappointing

I've only seen the first four so far.

But wtf is no one going on about how fucking great series three of Atlanta is?

Best American comedy since Curb

I just got a subscription to Disney as I needed to watch Atlanta season 3. Money well spent. It's got a lot more serious though and is hardly a pure comedy anymore but having said that Paperboi and Darius are two of the funniest characters ever.

I keep meaning to cancel Disney+, but if I had, id have missed Nightmare Alley, a phenomenal thriller by Guillermo del Toro and one of the most gorgeously designed films I’ve ever seen.

Bradley Cooper, Cate Blanchett, (and Toni Collette once again proving why she seems to be the busiest actor in Hollywood in a delightfully laid-back sexy supporting role).

100% recommend.

I keep meaning to cancel Disney+, but if I had, id have missed Nightmare Alley, a phenomenal thriller by Guillermo del Toro and one of the most gorgeously designed films I’ve ever seen.

Bradley Cooper, Cate Blanchett, (and Toni Collette once again proving why she seems to be the busiest actor in Hollywood in a delightfully laid-back sexy supporting role).

100% recommend.
Have you checked out Only Murders in the Building? A highly watchable crime mystery comedy series set in Manhattan, written and starring Steve Martin, with great co-leads and supporting characters. Definitely check it out before you decide to cancel.

Have you checked out Only Murders in the Building? A highly watchable crime mystery comedy series set in Manhattan, written and starring Steve Martin, with great co-leads and supporting characters. Definitely check it out before you decide to cancel.
I watched s1, which I thought was ok. But not really special enough to bother with s2.

I thought it was fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom