Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Disastrous family seasonal attractions and the never to be forgotten Lapland New Forest Theme Park

This is a disappointing start to the season :(

A bit of wind and heavy rain didn't stop Aberdeen's Christmas shit from opening today:

FhwqCdTXkAAFoDk

Fuck.. That..! :(

Last edited:
The Xmas Market opens here on the 25th Nov which seems a good idea. Gives a month to be ripped off before the great day arrives.

Paltalk knows where I live ...
Well actually as pedestrian / cyclist on the other end of town, the place is my idea of hell.
The whole area is totally car-centric.

As a non-parent, the prices look very scary.
I wonder how much energy will be deployed both in terms of people driving there, the lighting and the outdoor ice rink ...

winterwonder.png

Last edited:
Kudos to Qatar for trying to emulate the legendary Fyre festival :thumbs:

On the long, winding drive towards the campsite there are audible and visual signs of heavy machinery. Construction cranes reach high into the sky and workmen are busy with jobs ranging from laying pavement stones to wiring lights.

And as you drive towards the reception area the Blok 'N' Mesh perimeter fence doesn't exactly exude the 'premium fan camp' tag on the site's official booking page.

"It costs about £175 a night. To be honest it wasn't what I expected. When you see the pictures and read the description - and it's a Fifa World Cup - you expect a little bit of quality," said Pedro.

"This is like a sub-par hostel that you can find backpacking across the world.

"It's like being in a greenhouse, so we weren't able to sleep past 9am even though we were exhausted because of the flight." he added.

The tents, made of thick plastic, each contain two single beds and a nightstand with a lamp. A thin layer of carpet is lumpy in places as it rests on sand and gravel. A single electric fan completes the room layout.

_127703319_dsc00146.jpg

£175 per night...

We both made sure the kids never went over board. The bags were nowhere near half full, but nobody knows what 100g of sweets looks like. As my husband was paying, my little girl started eating the sweets so I couldn’t have put some back if I wanted to.
I didn’t hear the woman say the price to my husband but I could tell by his reaction it was high so I asked him how much. He said £47.26, and I said: 'What, you can’t be serious?'. I think we were just shocked we knew it was going to be expensive but I was thinking maybe £20-£23. He just paid and we left.
It really put a downer on the day we had had. Nobody nowadays can afford to spend £47 on a pick n mix. I feel like they should maybe display a couple of display bags of sweets saying how much this would cost you on average, so people are aware. Nobody knows what 100g of sweets looks like.
We can confirm that the scales are checked and set with no way to adjust them once we are set up so for the total to be £47 this would have been just over 1.6kg of sweets in two bags.

:thumbs:

Well actually as pedestrian / cyclist on the other end of town, the place is my idea of hell.

I wonder how much energy will be deployed both in terms of people driving there, the lighting and the outdoor ice rink ...

View attachment 352191

Speaking as someone who's accompanied my sister and her fiance when they take their kids for a day out, the grotto prices don't look too bad to me. But the ice skating sessions need to either be twice as long (half an hour?!) or cost half as much.

As for the energy consumption, I think it's completely unreasonable to expect parents to remain cooped up in the house with their children all winter. As a single dude I'm more than happy to hole up nice and snug in my man-cave and play video games all day as a form of ersatz-hibernation. But families with kids want and need a more varied range of activities, which will by necessity include going out and doing stuff, which inevitably incurs an energy cost.

View attachment 352191
Everyone's favourite bear? These chaps want a fucking word.

1669292742823.png1669292672180.png1669292647236.png

Back
Top Bottom