Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Diego Maradona Dead at 60

RIP

The documentary is ace, with only a passing interest I watched it on a recommendation. The friend I saw it with had no wish to see it at all, it is so good we were both almost in tears at some parts and rolling on the floor in others.

It reminds me of the reaction in Brazil when Senna died.

Funny you should mention that. There's an ace documentary about Senna which I found on youtube. . . and which I then mentioned to my Brazilian colleague. In a way that was totally out of character, he erupted with berserker fury - "AYRTON SENNA? AYRTON FUCKING SENNA? THAT FUCKING POSH WANKER?"

Whereas DM was beloved by all in his native land, at least if this morning's RTE report from Argentina is accurate. The reporter said that for some Maradona was like a father, for others he was like a son, and for yet others he was the national embarassing uncle. But they all loved him.

Funny you should mention that. There's an ace documentary about Senna which I found on youtube. . . and which I then mentioned to my Brazilian colleague. In a way that was totally out of character, he erupted with berserker fury - "AYRTON SENNA? AYRTON FUCKING SENNA? THAT FUCKING POSH WANKER?"

Whereas DM was beloved by all in his native land, at least if this morning's RTE report from Argentina is accurate. The reporter said that for some Maradona was like a father, for others he was like a son, and for yet others he was the national embarassing uncle. But they all loved him.

Senna doc also by asif kapadia btw.

Maradona said:
If I was in a white outfit at a wedding and a muddy ball was thrown at me... I would stop it with the chest, without thinking about it

Almost a shame that he couldn't just play football all the time. Best player I ever saw 'live' ('86 on telly).

Love the Lineker piece above too, you can feel the reverence, even from famous personality vacuum Michael Owen.

Steve Hodge just sold Maradona’s shirt for £7 million, the largest amount paid for sports memorabilia.

I think he got stick from the other England players for getting it after the match but reckon he’s pretty happy now.

Back
Top Bottom