Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Diego Maradona Dead at 60

Sad news. One of, if not the, greatest footballers of all time. I understood a lot more about him after seeing this excellent documentary.
Is that the feature length one that came out a few years ago? Even people who don’t like football have told me is a great watch.

Is that the feature length one that came out a few years ago? Even people who don’t like football have told me is a great watch.
Yeah, I don't like football and thought it was fascinating. The stuff about Napoli had completely passed me by. It's a classic tale of meteoric rise and massive, crashing fall.

I've read a few reports which said that he was always being pumped full of drugs (cortisone injections etc) just to get him on the pitch because of all the injuries he carried but he was the star player and he had to play.

Its not that surprising he developed a huge drug addiction. Guy was probably in constant pain.
This is probably the one that caused it all.

RIP. Probably the GOAT.

As the documentary said, quite well, Diego was a good man, Maradona was the problem.

Hmm I'm not sure if the documentary did say that. It was Maradona's excuse.

I liked the way that the doc doesn't pull it's punches or try to excuse his behaviour, but it's still sympathetic to him - very hard to do well.

Undoubtedly one of the best ever but to play devil's advocate here I wouldn't have him in an All-Time XI. He was brilliant but the teams (and let's not forget he had to have DECENT players around him at least, and Argentina in 1986 had some very good players) he played with were all set up around him. He was the main man, the creative outlet, and everyone's job was to serve him. I don't think he'd fare so well in a team of other brilliant players. After all he didn't win the league at Barca, didn't come close.

Hmm I'm not sure if the documentary did say that. It was Maradona's excuse.

I liked the way that the doc doesn't pull it's punches or try to excuse his behaviour, but it's still sympathetic to him - very hard to do well.
Probably didn’t it’s what I remember though but I don’t get out much.

How come no interest? I also loved it.
I don't know why tbh. I don't care about his life, i don't care about napoli, i just don't care - even if there's an interesting story, i have many other interesting stories i could crack on with. It may just be the reverse of people who say i don't like football but found this interesting. To me, it ends with him on the pitch - and he was beyond amazing. Not the slightest inclination to learn anymore. Sounds weird now i say it.

Back
Top Bottom