Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jack Charlton dead at 85

Really enjoyed watching this, though sad. He was a legend.
Yes, extremely sad to see someone with dementia, especially the way the documentary contrasts it with how he was before. Also sad the way it talks about his relationship with Bobby with no happy ending to that. Sad that both have suffered from dementia. I thought it interesting the way they talk about dementia and show Jack heading the ball so much, which you think must surely have contributed to it, but that the family doesn't blame the dementia on that and are not bitter about it.

One criticism I have seen is that it doesn't focus much on his relationship with Don Revie. I saw some mentions of Revie in his notes but would have been interesting to know more of how Revie's management style formed his.

Watched this the other day and it was very moving. Not least because he's roughly the same generation as my Grandad (now 88) who was also an ex-professional footballer from the early to late 1950s and who now also has dementia. I'm convinced the ball-heading was a major factor in his decline.

Nevertheless it was great to see how revered he is in Ireland and how much he did at the time for the nation as a whole.

Back
Top Bottom