Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jack Charlton dead at 85

A far better man than his turn-coat brother. I remember when he was managing Newcastle in the 80’s when he also had a fishing show on TV. We were away to I think QPR, and an animal rights group that had took offence to this decided to cover the penalty areas with broken glass the night before we were due to play, resulting in the game being abandoned. (Probably did us a favour as we were pretty poor at the time).

Last edited:
As a player he lived in his brothers shadow at times. Bobby was breaking records Jackie was breaking legs. Both brothers backed the NUM in the 70s and 80s strikes. He applied for the England job but didnt get an interview, Clough did but Greenwood got the job, the feeling was both Charlton and Clough were too outspoken too anti establishment . In my view it was the remarkable stint as Ireland's manager that really cemented his standing .Remarkable as that although his achievement with Ireland was good it was the bond that he built with the country and supporters that was exceptional.I hated Leeds but grew to love Jack Charlton.
Their younger brother, Tommy was according to both Jack and Bobby a better player than both of them. He stayed in the mines and moved to Rotherham in the sixties. He was the head instructor at the mines rescue unit in Rotherham and taught many of my mates. He opened the session with my name is Tom Charlton, I’ve got two famous brothers. All the lads used to pretend they’d never heard of them. True to his class and his workmates, Tommy finally got an England cap playing walking football for England when he was seventy one. He plays regularly for the Mature Millers. Top bloke like his brother Jack.

Equally fabled is the teams trip to the Vatican shortly before they played Italy in 1990. Pope John Paul II had once been a goalkeeper in Poland, and discussed the position with the Irish goalkeeper Packie Bonner. During the game against Italy, Bonner made the mistake that sent them home.
Charlton’s response gives an insight into the wit and warmth recalled by many on Saturday. Hiding his crushing disappointment, he praised his players before turning to Bonner and saying: “By the way, the fucking pope would have saved that!”

Didn't he get bollocked for giving players water in the baking Texas heat?

iu

Some great memories from Big Jack's years as Ireland manager. The Romania game, Houghtons goal against Italy, his utter disgrace with England fans at Lansdowne, his bust ups with officials in the USA.

I'm old enough to have seen him play too, nothing special just no way through.

RIP Jack

RIP Big Jack.

I don't remember him as a player, but have very fond memories of his time as Ireland manager. I was in Dublin when Ireland beat Italy in the 94 World Cup and the scenes were amazing. The whole city appeared to be celebrating.

The closest I've come to meeting him was this statue at Cork Airport.

IMG_2165.JPG

I remember him as a pundit at Euro'92, which Ireland didn't qualify for. It was an odd one, as Yugoslavia had qualified but didn't attend due to the war, and the fall-out of the Soviet collapse meant they were represented as "the Commonwealth of Independent States".

Charlton: "The CIS? The CSI? I just call 'em the Russians."

Back
Top Bottom