Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Maradona - the film

It is a fascinating watch. Inspiring and grim in equal measure.

Hard to argue against him being the best footballer of all time. Maybe Pele, Zidane, Cruyff Messi, Gazza or someone? It is hard to measure natural talent and compare different times, leagues, tournaments isn't it.

Interesting to compare how footballers cope with press and social media now and what he dealt with then.

The corruption was so blatant. That said it is just better hidden (legalised?) and reformatted now :hmm:

Hard to argue against him being the best footballer of all time. Maybe Pele, Zidane, Cruyff Messi, Gazza or someone? It is hard to measure natural talent and compare different times, leagues, tournaments isn't it.

It's not only hard, it's also somewhat pointless. All the players you've listed are strikers or attacking midfielders, and whilst you can compare them to one another to a certain extent, you can't really compare them to Yashin, Maldini, Beckenbauer, etc.

Maybe Pele, Zidane, Cruyff Messi, Gazza or someone?

We watched this tonight. My partner, a former keen amateur, said Best - that Maradona was the only player he'd seen doing what Best did in terms of getting so skilfully past defenders.

A brilliant film, as I was expecting after all the comments from you guys.

I was really intrigued by how Kapadia got hold of some of the footage, especially that scene of Maradona sitting looking forlorn at the Napoli team night out after things had gone bad for him. It's the kind of footage you'd usually only see from a mobile phone - only no-one would have had them back then, at least not ones that could record video.

Last edited:
Not watched this yet. When I was quite young I read the book El Diego. I'm not sure on the accuracy of it now, but it did touch me at the time and as a young football fanatic it made me really respect his story and talent along with all the videos I'd seen. Will give this a watch.

Watched it yesterday and it was nice to see him at his peak. But also how quickly it can descend into a self-made private hell.
His dad seemed a proper down to earth bloke. Awesome film but sad to see it all just fall away. As mentioned above, that footage from the Napoli Christmas party when Diego looked totally lost said so much.

Hard to argue against him being the best footballer of all time.
Theres something particularly satisfying about forwards who run fast and get past people - for that reason at Spurs I had a massive soft spot for Aaron Lennon, even though he was more winger than forward and couldnt finish - but i expect a few top modern footballers are 'better' than Maradona <I think the standard of modern football is objectively the best its ever been, and that also means its harder to get through a defence line.

Its impossible to judge players from different era against one another IMO

Watched half last night (started getting sleepy so canned it).

Great filum, what intensity he had to deal with. Some utterly astonishing footage. What a period when he was at his peak winning everything.

Can’t wait to watch the rest <<< but as it’s all about to go downhill I’m already feeling sad.

I watched the 1986 match and could not remember that Argentina nearly scored from the kick off after England's goal. Fenwick, "the guy with the hair" Maradona calls him in his Lineker interview, should've been sent off 3 times. Hacking and elbowing was still acceptable but everybody just stands about at corners, no pushing or wrestling. Terrible lumpy pitch.

It's very hard to compare players across times. The best you can do is compare the impact on the pitch that each had in their own time. And, on that score, it's hard to think if a player better than Maradona. In particular, inspiring otherwise unexceptional Argentina and Napoli teams to success.

Last edited:
We watched this tonight. My partner, a former keen amateur, said Best - that Maradona was the only player he'd seen doing what Best did in terms of getting so skilfully past defenders.

A brilliant film, as I was expecting after all the comments from you guys.

I was really intrigued by how Kapadia got hold of some of the footage, especially that scene of Maradona sitting looking forlorn at the Napoli team night out after things had gone bad for him. It's the kind of footage you'd usually only see from a mobile phone - only no-one would have had them back then, at least not ones that could record video.
I wonder what was going through his head at the time of that footage at the Christmas party.

How the Italian press, and Italian people it seems, turned on him is staggering.

He’s no angel but fuck me is that some mad intense life to live.

Amazing filum (still have a qtr to watch as missus woke up from her wfh afternoon nap).

Last edited:
I always feel a bit sorry for Lineker with regard the 1986 game, as his goal is never shown, whereas the Maradona brace are two of the most famous and screened goals ever.

Mind you, Lineker's was a typical six-yard box header, albeit after Barnes had beaten his man and got the cross in.

I thought this was brilliant. It was fascinating the way the footage captured his face, how young and boyish and overwhelmed he seemed - the gap between the Maradona raising his arms to the crowd and the boy Diego revealed in his face. And so intense that attention from the crowd, emotionally, psychologically, but the sensory impact of all those people, the noise of the crowd, the press conferences - I felt it very viscerally throughout, almost unbearable. Both the idealisation and subsequent denigration were very disturbing. The football was amazing, a joy to watch, but so painful that while his talent offered him a means of escape, from his mind when on the pitch, and from poverty for his family, it became a new kind of prison. I felt quite tearful at the end, it was extremely moving.

I watched this last night. It was good, but maybe my expectations were so high that I wasn't blown away by it. I think it's just that though - the expectations. If there's anyone who hasn't seen Senna, it would be worth having a look as it's even better than this.

Back
Top Bottom