Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Diane Abbott suspended as Labour MP.

Anyway FWIW, I don't know about Diane Abbott as a constituency MP but she's been a liability in the last few years. Granted her mispeaks have been overshadowed by a dozen Tory MPs sworded incidents', public displays of incompetency or general cretinousness. But even so.

That said, she's been treated appallingly and embarrasingly by the Labour leadership and press, so if she does stand, good luck to her.

Problem is I had a hard time understanding what I was being accused of, because everyone just preferred to be vague and snidey.

Sometimes intentions and meanings get lost in translation here.

Am sure you understand that urbanites (those who reside in the UK) are on edge right now. You/they've had 14 years of hell under an incompetent right wing government, and are about to sign up to another 5 years (at least) of a new incompetent right wing government.

Can't blame them for being wound up tight.

Sometimes intentions and meanings get lost in translation here.

Am sure you understand that urbanites (those who reside in the UK) are on edge right now. You/they've had 14 years of hell under an incompetent right wing government, and are about to sign up to another 5 years (at least) of a new incompetent right wing government.

Can't blame them for being wound up tight.
A more comforting version is I was just unlucky to get all the arseholes at once. That's what I'm going with.

Anyway, let's draw a line.

Exactly. They're all now batting for Starmer's Labour who are 20 points ahead. And Abbot ain't. Do you think is she was considered to be a massive asset to Labour in this election she'd still be out in the cold? I don't think so.

Christ, do you think Starmer's an asset at this point?

I guarantee there are people within his inner circle right now whispering to each other that he needs to be replaced as Labour leader before the next election after this one.

Exactly. They're all now batting for Starmer's Labour who are 20 points ahead. And Abbot ain't. Do you think is she was considered to be a massive asset to Labour in this election she'd still be out in the cold? I don't think so.
Who were 20 points ahead. Before this self-inflicted stupidity. Sure, labour should cruise home. But if they ditch Abbott they can kiss goodbye to hackney North. And I don't think shammer improves on greater acquaintance.

I'm surprised they didn't reinstate her and say she's welcome to stand for Labour then put her up against their chosen candidate who surprise surprise gets chosen on the last available day so it's too late for her to stand as an independent.

It appears to me that they're (still) trying to get her to say or do something which enables them to expel her, rather than actually rule that she can't stand.

She was asked repeatedly yesterday if she would stand as an independent, for example, and had she said yes, that would have been it, they'd have a legitimate reason to kick her out.

If she is thinking about standing as an independent, it would be better if she was explicitly prevented from standing as the Labour candidate (as Corbyn was). But given all the shit the Labour leadership have put her through, I wouldn't blame her if she just said fuck it and either jumped before she was pushed or simply walked away from the whole thing.

So, what you're saying is that Starmer will be appealing to the racists? It's not as if he isn't doing that already by appearing on telly and in photo ops draped in the Butcher's Apron.
Not to mention the hierarchy of racism he presides over. If it was right to shaft corbyn because of as in the party it's right to dump shammer over the more diverse racism he is apparently willing to condone

That needs a complaint against him that might stop him standing as an MP :)
This is the thing with using procedural tricks to win a factional war within a ropey system, in theory you can then use the precedent of those same tricks back at the abuser, collapsing the whole thing. But it takes people prepared to do that.....the dominant "faction" in the LP is so dominant here, in numbers and in positions of power, there just isn't the fight back required.

Indeed, although a well publicized complaint by an (anonymous) Labour member would be a bit embarrassing (not that starmer feels embarrassment mind).

Indeed, although a well publicized complaint by an (anonymous) Labour member would be a bit embarrassing (not that starmer feels embarrassment mind).
The left in Labour appears zombified, most want to hang on to enjoy the upcoming Labour victory and generally keep their jobs.... Grim outlook , not that it was ever much cause for hope.

I still hope that the alliance with Israel might unwind some of them

The left in Labour appears zombified, most want to hang on to enjoy the upcoming Labour victory and generally keep their jobs.... Grim outlook , not that it was ever much cause for hope.

I still hope that the alliance with Israel might unwind some of them
The SCG is well intentioned but it's politically weak with little political nous and has offered very little opposition precisely because its in the Labour Party. With better leadership and politics it should have split away some time ago.

The SCG is well intentioned but it's politically weak with little political nous and has offered very little opposition precisely because its in the Labour Party. With better leadership and politics it should have split away some time ago.

Back to the ancient question whether people will split off and join a new party (or enter the greens)....the number of people forced out already surely makes something like that inevitable....this current vague coalition of independents is a bit of nonsense IMO

Back to the ancient question whether people will split off and join a new party (or enter the greens)....the number of people forced out already surely makes something like that inevitable....this current vague coalition of independents is a bit of nonsense IMO

Its all up for grabs isn't it . Join an organisation in which you might agree with some or most of their politics, join an organisation and fight for your politics, build a new organisation, build local organisation that has some federal/fraternal links to others?

It will be interesting to see how it pans out and who/what grows. Of course, there are other organisations, WPB, the Trot based groups who will also be rolling out the red carpet for recruitment.

Something has got to give with our ancient regime....a Labour landslide perhaps not the best conditions for it to happen though...its got to be broken one day. Nick Bastard Clegg royal missed the open goal to have a referendum on PR - it was one of their conditions for the being in the coalition. Hard to imagine when another opportunity will arise like that.

Something has got to give with our ancient regime....a Labour landslide perhaps not the best conditions for it to happen though...its got to be broken one day. Nick Bastard Clegg royal missed the open goal to have a referendum on PR - it was one of their conditions for the being in the coalition. Hard to imagine when another opportunity will arise like that.
Labour missed a trick by not backing this. Even if Labour win a landslide this time, in the long run, the current broken system favours the Tories more than anyone. IMO everyone on the left should back electoral reform both for reasons of fairness and because it aligns tactically with their interests. The fact that a fairer system aligns with the interests of the left rather than the right isn't a coincidence.

That may be horribly reformist of me, but PR would open up various possibilities for realignment, as we have seen in Spain, which has various political similarities to the UK.

Labour missed a trick by not backing this. Even if Labour win a landslide this time, in the long run, the current broken system favours the Tories more than anyone. IMO everyone on the left should back electoral reform both for reasons of fairness and because it aligns tactically with their interests. The fact that a fairer system aligns with the interests of the left rather than the right isn't a coincidence.

That may be horribly reformist of me, but PR would open up various possibilities for realignment, as we have seen in Spain, which has various political similarities to the UK.
Thats the thing, on one level Labour will never go for it, on another level they should for their own longterm self interests. You never know, even from within this Labour cabal the idea might arise as a good strategy...seems unlikely though. Their vanguardist instincts are very strong

Dianne says she hasn't been selected.
Starmer says that hasn't been decided.

So then he can use this against her. She will be seen as calling out the leader and going against the party and by virtue of not actually doing aything Starmer gets to kick her out on a technicality. Nothing to do with the issue of her letter. Odious

So then he can use this against her. She will be seen as calling out the leader and going against the party and by virtue of not actually doing aything Starmer gets to kick her out on a technicality. Nothing to do with the issue of her letter. Odious
Really hard for Starmer to do anything right now that is good for him. Kicking her out now would be a terrible look, particularly if she then stands as an indie and wins. Allowing her to stand for Labour doesn't help with the Strong Man image he's trying to portray.

He appears to be particularly adept at manoeuvring himself into lose-lose situations.

Really hard for Starmer to do anything right now that is good for him. Kicking her out now would be a terrible look, particularly if she then stands as an indie and wins. Allowing her to stand for Labour doesn't help with the Strong Man image he's trying to portray.

He appears to be particularly adept at manoeuvring himself into lose-lose situations.

As I say I don’t know how popular she is locally. But the procrastination is making him look weaker. He should let her stand Rather than throw a seat away by parachuting some Choice candidate in. Let her stand to let the news story move on the mall he dithers, the more embarrassing for him it is.

Not to mention the hierarchy of racism he presides over. If it was right to shaft corbyn because of as in the party it's right to dump shammer over the more diverse racism he is apparently willing to condone
Indeed, and afaik, he hasn't even met with Martin Forde KC, whom he commissioned to write the report. Worse, perhaps, is the lack of interest from most of the media (C4 and The Graun excepted).

So who's telling the truth here?

Back
Top Bottom