Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Diane Abbott suspended as Labour MP.

My Diane Abbott memory is watching her in the Hackney Empire during a refuse worker dispute take to the stage in full camouflage outfit, adopt a strong estuary accent and speak about struggle.

I had only heard her previously on Radio 4 Any Questions where she seemed terribly received pronunciation (nothing wrong with that) so the transformation was quite a shock.

Apparently she was a good constituency MP and she is definitely well known in the area. My current Tory MP is an absent ghost.

Even though they've made a mess of the operation, I reckon it still helps them electorally. Abbott is a hate figure on the right and so it may help the "changed Labour" narrative with swing voters. Part of a righteous purge. It's dismal only in the eyes of voters who were disillusioned anyway.

The risk is that they might end up forced into letting her stand for Labour. Then it will just look like Starmer can't shoot fish in a barrel.
So, what you're saying is that Starmer will be appealing to the racists? It's not as if he isn't doing that already by appearing on telly and in photo ops draped in the Butcher's Apron.

One or both of us is confused. Are you thinking that because I used the phrase "loony left" I must be a copy of the daily mail from 1985? That's not what it is.
I never suggested you were a copy of the DM. Many people who don't read that paper also use the phrase.

Who the fuck is this woman on newsnight at the moment. Talking about having engorged breasts because she hasn't fed her baby.

Starmers fault apparently.

Pah! Whisper amongst yourselves, you snooty drips.

Misunderstandings do happen, but there's no need to put so much effort into it.

Last edited:
This entire event appears to have been a very cack-handed attempt by Starmer et al to engineer a "dignified" goodbye, and they may have succeeded had they said in January, "here's the whip, now please promise to step aside and you'll be Baroness Stoke Newington by the summer"

Holding on until the last minute has only strengthened the view that the machines dislikes her personally, wants to handicap her personally, and wants rid of her quickly.

Labour managed five days gaff-free in this campaign. Now it'll be shadowed by the words "Diane Abbott" for a good few days yet.

You're more Daily Express than Daily Mail.
Good one, but what's with the snidey year 10 bullying?

For fuck's sake "She's loony left, and she was meant to be gone before the election" does not represent my perspective on things. Sometimes you can look back at a post and think you could have been clearer, but I'm struggling in this case to see how it can have be misconstrued.

In any case, if people genuinely have misunderstood, what would be wrong with asking for clarification, rather than the cryptic replies and smug victimisation?

Pah! Whisper amongst yourselves, you snooty drips.

Misunderstandings do happen, but there's no need to put so much effort into it.

You can easily clear up the misunderstanding by saying you were being sarcastic when you used the term.

We've already had one drive by poster describing her as "nuts".

He seems to genuinely believe that.

Am guessing you used the "loony left" term to parody that sort of detractor?

Am guessing you used the "loony left" term to parody that sort of detractor?
More or less. I was characterising the view of the labour leadership. Which I would think is obvious, unless I approve of what they're doing. And yet, whatever other unsavoury opinions everyone clearly thinks I harbour, it ought to be clear from comments I have made in this thread that I don't. You didn't read them? Fine, but why are you sticking your bully nose in then?

It's not the misunderstanding that bothers me, it's the incredibly unseemly instant pile on (Pickman's excepted, he's just like that). It's like having the fucking Labour party pouring over your tweets.

Have a word with yourselves.

Back
Top Bottom