Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Diane Abbott suspended as Labour MP.

Such a Starmer up fuck that even rat-boy can make political capital...

View attachment 426434
This is part of what I don't understand. Would Abbot standing as a Labour MP really be able to do more damage than everything they've done instead of let her stand? :confused:

I guess they're assuming this way it's be rocky for a while, but their chances are good enough it won't actually cause them to lose and then they can move on. Whereas Abbot getting elected then leaves potential for unknown headaches (from their perspective) for the rest of their time in government?

Wonder if they expected to be this rocky. Or, did they just have the arrogance to not even think of that.

<edit: ah, usual apologies, having read the rest of the thread see we already kinda got there>

Of course, let's not forget the personal vindictiveness of the great leader - from DA's wiki page:

In May 2021, she wrote in a Guardian article that if Labour were to lose the Batley and Spen by-election, Starmer should resign as Labour leader.[72] She described the local elections as disappointing for Labour. Abbott criticised the shadow cabinet reshuffle later carried out by Keir Starmer. She told Sophy Ridge on Sky News that his demotion of Angela Rayner was "baffling".[73] Following the 2022 local elections, Abbott said that Keir Starmer should resign if he is fined by Durham Constabulary over Beergate.[74]

Reactions: Chz
This is part of what I don't understand. Would Abbot standing as a Labour MP really be able to do more damage than everything they've done instead of let her stand? :confused:

I guess they're assuming this way it's be rocky for a while, but their chances are good enough it won't actually cause them to lose and then they can move on. Whereas Abbot getting elected then leaves potential for unknown headaches (from their perspective) for the rest of their time in government?

Wonder if they expected to be this rocky. Or, did they just have the arrogance to not even think of that.

<edit: ah, usual apologies, having read the rest of the thread see we already kinda got there>
They're probably thinking about government, this won't lose them election but if they can reduce the number of troublesome back bench MPs they'll have a higher number of options for ministers throughout parliament.

I think they've taken the calculation that this will mostly piss off people in areas where they can afford to lose votes while some pensioners in Grimsby will love to see that uppity black woman booted out. I think it's as simple as that, and the fact there's one less left wing MP is the icing on the cake.

Fuck me, the hatred I'm feeling for starmer right now, what's it going to do to my blood pressure when the twat actually starts running the country? Going to need paramedics permanently stationed outside our house! :eek:
i felt that the first year he was leader , there were stories like this every single day - utter hatred for the great purge and all that - the collapse of the tories is the only way to take the sting off a bit

i felt that the first year he was leader , there were stories like this every single day - utter hatred for the great purge and all that - the collapse of the tories is the only way to take the sting off a bit
Just hope it manages to reanimated the left. It will be so bad that we might at least get discussions on a union funded party of the left. Won't hold my breath though and its pretty difficult for any new party to get a niche in the fptp system.

Swings and roundabouts, Corbyn did exactly the same as leader...

Swings and roundabouts, Corbyn did exactly the same as leader...
Er, no he didn’t. He put several right-wingers in his shadow cabinet, taking a conciliatory ‘broad church’ approach. That this was thrown in his face shows a lack of good faith by certain party members. At one time I had a modicum of respect for Starmer staying loyal and not playing those stupid games, not sure he deserves credit anymore.

Er, no he didn’t. He put several right-wingers in his shadow cabinet, taking a conciliatory ‘broad church’ approach. That this was thrown in his face shows a lack of good faith by certain party members. At one time I had a modicum of respect for Starmer staying loyal and not playing those stupid games, not sure he deserves credit anymore.
Correct , as has been pointed out by both the left and the centrists on here that he actually wasn’t decisive/ ruthless enough.

In any case I don’t think Starmer himself is decisive never mind ruthless nor is he a confident leader. He’s manufactured and heavily scripted , often appearing to be like a rabbit caught in the glare of bright headlights .

It’s the old and new Blairites, the party machinery that pulls his strings .

Oh that's one thing I am sure of.

Correct , as has been pointed out by both the left and the centrists on here that he actually wasn’t decisive/ ruthless enough.

In any case I don’t think Starmer himself is decisive never mind ruthless nor is he a confident leader. He’s manufactured and heavily scripted , often appearing to be like a rabbit caught in the glare of bright headlights .

It’s the old and new Blairites, the party machinery that pulls his strings .
Yes, Starmer was a mechanoid, terrified of meeting the voters around the time of the Hartlepool by election (whereas now he's a slightly more confident version of the same). Without Johnson's lies, parties, the Russian inasion/cost of living I suspect we'd be looking at another tory government and starmer being replaced with the likes of Andy Burnham in a few months.

This is like some fucking case you get as a union rep. A petty but useless manager suspends a worker for months and then keeps muttering something about 'investigations' and complaints all the way up to a tribunal. Their aim is to get it out of time. Oh, hang on, it's not like that, it is that.
Exactly.

Yes, Starmer was a mechanoid, terrified of meeting the voters around the time of the Hartlepool by election (whereas now he's a slightly more confident version of the same). Without Johnson's lies, parties, the Russian inasion/cost of living I suspect we'd be looking at another tory government and starmer being replaced with the likes of Andy Burnham in a few months.
I think Andy Burnham's played a blinder, if he does have any leadership ambitions, staying out of national politics and avoiding this absolute shit show and shit storm.

Although there's a bit of localised bad weather, relating to his nighttime economy adviser, Sacha Lord, but I doubt any of that mud will stick.

I think they assumed some rockiness, but figured they were in between a rock and a hard place, ie accusations of racism if they don't restore the whip and let her stand versus accusations of Labour isn't really tough enough on anti-Semitism if they do.

And when it came down to it, they'd rather be thought of as racist than antisemitic.

It is a kind of arrogance that leads the Labour leadership and some of its politicians to seemingly believe that Black people and working class people from other ethnic minority backgrounds somehow owe Labour their vote, because who else are they going to vote for?

Starmer's Labour is all over the place on this. Talk about shooting themselves in the foot.
Even though they've made a mess of the operation, I reckon it still helps them electorally. Abbott is a hate figure on the right and so it may help the "changed Labour" narrative with swing voters. Part of a righteous purge. It's dismal only in the eyes of voters who were disillusioned anyway.

The risk is that they might end up forced into letting her stand for Labour. Then it will just look like Starmer can't shoot fish in a barrel.

Even if that is true, “don’t let the black woman stand in case the right wing media weaponise it” is such a shit political decision
That's not exactly what I meant. I think getting rid of Abbott was supposed to be a signal to middle England that it's safe to vote Labour again. They've mishandled it, which is hardly a shock, but I still think there's votes in it for them.

That's not exactly what I meant. I think getting rid of Abbott was supposed to be a signal to middle England that it's safe to vote Labour again. They've mishandled it, which is hardly a shock, but I still think there's votes in it for them.

For all the radical trimmings Diane Abbott is Middle England personified. She's a Cambridge graduate who sent her son to a public school and chose Jonathan Aitken to be his Godfather. She also doesn't years cuddling up to Portillo on a BBC studio, which seemed to go down well with the bourgeoise audience.

Maybe, it's the toxicity of Labour internal politics not the distain of the English middle classes that did for her.

images (25).jpeg

For all the radical trimmings Diane Abbott is Middle England personified. She's a Cambridge graduate who sent her son to a public school and chose Jonathan Aitken to be his Godfather. She also doesn't years cuddling up to Portillo on a BBC studio, which seemed to go down well with the bourgeoise audience.

Maybe, it's the toxicity of Labour internal politics not the distain of the English middle classes that did for her.

View attachment 426527
She may be middle class, but she's not middle England. She's loony left, and she was meant to be gone before the election.

Back
Top Bottom