Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Diane Abbott suspended as Labour MP.

I get it. I know that more than any other MP, she's targeted by the absolute worst of the worst of this country regarding her race. I'm not here to discount that, but I just don't buy that that's the reason why she's been been left out of the shadow cabinet or treated differently to say Rupa Huq or Neil Coyle.

I just think she's regarded more as a liability in Starmer's vision for Labour in securing power. Not because she's black, but because of her tendancy to appear to be clueless and say dumb shit. The fact that there's no love lost between them is obviously also a factor, but I don't see any evidence to suggest that it's the 'racist swing vote' of Britain, that's the issue here.
Why is that, d'you think?

Why is Diane Abbott regarded as a liability, because of her tendency to 'appear to be clueless and say dumb shit'?

Don't you think she's being held to a different standard? Do you not think a bit of misogynoir is coming into play?

Do you not think it's possible that smears from political opponents and right-wing media outlets, which may be fuelled, at least in part, by conscious or subconscious racism and/or sexism, are in turn assimilated, they form part of the narrative, and through constant repetition become established as 'fact'.

And it's not like Abbott's colleagues were swift to defend and support her. In fact, some of them were part of the problem. In internal WhatsApp messages, she was mocked for crying in toilets, a journalist was informed as to her whereabouts, and she was referred to by an official of her own party - bear in mind the nasty, sexist, racist stereotype of the 'angry black woman - as an "angry woman".

Maybe if those colleagues had done more to support her, maybe if they'd called out the sexism and racism for what it is, maybe if they'd challenged it instead of helping to perpetuate it, the mud about incompetence and being dumb wouldn't have stuck?

I mean, she was a grammar school girl who made it to Cambridge and then the civil service fast track programme. Does that strike you as the accomplishments of someone who's incompetent and dumb?

The more I think about this, the more I am completely disgusted with the Labour leadership. Firstly wrt to the enquiry decsision Starmer says words to the effect of 'it's got nothing to do with me which is immediately refuted by Dianne Abbott. then it's leaked doubtless maliciously (but then again if there had been nothing unpleasant to leak we wouldn't be where we are) that the enquiry finished 5 months ago. Seriously who would trust the Labour leadership? It inspires absolutely zero confidence in me that they would do the right thing, ever.. I really hope she stands as an independent.

The more I think about this, the more I am completely disgusted with the Labour leadership. Firstly wrt to the enquiry decsision Starmer says words to the effect of 'it's got nothing to do with me which is immediately refuted by Dianne Abbott. then it's leaked doubtless maliciously (but then again if there had been nothing unpleasant to leak we wouldn't be where we are) that the enquiry finished 5 months ago. Seriously who would trust the Labour leadership? It inspires absolutely zero confidence in me that they would do the right thing, ever.. I really hope she stands as an independent.
Politicians in ' can't be trusted' shocker!

The idea of "communities" acting in a certain way is full of holes in many ways, but nonetheless the black community of London and beyond will hear about this and will draw conclusion that Labour is a racist party, for which there is a lot evidence. This won't all disappear over night, and might have a bigger impact on votes than the Managers have calculated for.

I hope she wins, as a virtual whack across the chops with a kipper for the racist shammer

The idea of "communities" acting in a certain way is full of holes in many ways, but nonetheless the black community of London and beyond will hear about this and will draw conclusion that Labour is a racist party, for which there is a lot evidence. This won't all disappear over night, and might have a bigger impact on votes than the Managers have calculated for.
Agreed . However some grassroots co-ordination/activity will be required to make it effective/give it some legs.

Agreed . However some grassroots co-ordination/activity will be required to make it effective/give it some legs.
well in hackney there already have been solidarity demos in the past and there's something tonight I think....it also comes down to whether she wants to go quietly or ramp things up - quit Labour, stand as an independent, and ramp up anti-Labour sentiment with her airtime (if they let her have any - far from certain)

tonight.jpg

It just feels like the latest capitulation to the right-wing press and the disgusting, divisive and racist games they play. How I wish for a party leader that actually puts them in their place. I mean, even Galloway can manage it and he’s a nailed-on cunt.

I have friends and relatives in Hackney North, talking to them last night (before the obvious was announced) they WILL campaign for her, she has a lot of grassroots support.

Thing is, I reckon she's had enough. I don't think she will follow Corbyn. However, those same people will campaign for Corbyn instead, Islington being almost next door.

It just feels like the latest capitulation to the right-wing press and the disgusting, divisive and racist games they play.
Sadly, though I think that certainly has an influence (as it always does), I fear that personal politics/feelings within the Labour party play a more significant role in this case than a lot of their other decisions.

As ever, though, I'm not well-versed in any of the factors at play, so that could be bobbins.

I have friends and relatives in Hackney North, talking to them last night (before the obvious was announced) they WILL campaign for her, she has a lot of grassroots support.

Thing is, I reckon she's had enough. I don't think she will follow Corbyn. However, those same people will campaign for Corbyn instead, Islington being almost next door.

I think you are right. I came across this post by Robert Peston which , if true, suggests that she was led up the garden path so that Labour could publicly humiliate her.

1716971113618.png

Got 5 live on in the kitchen talking about Diane Abbot and a surprising amount of people phoning in saying that despite not agreeing with her politics they did not agree with the abysmal way she has/is being treated.
It's the shammer hierarchy of racism in action, he calculates he'll face no great unhappiness from labour candidates due to the election. He's leaving voters out of the equation and he'll be in for rather a shock, I think, as I expect the Labour vote in hn&sn will crash and the greens do rather nicely if da doesn't run

what does this mean? cryptic...

so we know that there was a secret deal where she would be allowed to return but she would retire her seat
then this happens
now she says she will campaign "for a labour win" , so not as an independent, and it sounds like not standing herself
but then she suggests she didn't know that she was not allowed to stand.... is she prepared to make a thing of that?

i dont really get it, but i get the feeling she's done and whatever happens she will fade away rather than go with a bang.

Back
Top Bottom