Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Diane Abbott suspended as Labour MP.

Ah so there was a deal and I just underestimated how petty and vindictive the party right is.

At a guess on Abbot's statement, trying to salvage the retirement angle by denying she's actively barred maybe?
If there was a deal, clearly they were hoping to keep it secret. They really are hopeless. Only way to show there wasn't a deal now would be for Abbott to stand again.

so we know that there was a secret deal where she would be allowed to return but she would retire her seat
then this happens

Ah so there was a deal and I just underestimated how petty and vindictive the party right is.

"We" "know" that there was a "deal" based on the anonymous briefings from the same people that were claiming that the "investigation" "process" into Diane Abbott was "ongoing" until until that falsehood was exposed just over 24 hours ago?

GOuuxXhXcAEPm5I.jpg

This is like some fucking case you get as a union rep. A petty but useless manager suspends a worker for months and then keeps muttering something about 'investigations' and complaints all the way up to a tribunal. Their aim is to get it out of time. Oh, hang on, it's not like that, it is that.

This is like some fucking case you get as a union rep. A petty but useless manager suspends a worker for months and then keeps muttering something about 'investigations' and complaints all the way up to a tribunal. Their aim is to get it out of time. Oh, hang on, it's not like that, it is that.
EVERYTHING that they do is the work and mindset of a "useless manager"

Must say that I’ve had the impression for some time that this Labour Party leadership ie Starmer , Reeves , Rayner and Lammy etc would be tailor made to be cast as the management of Maplins in a remake of Hi De Hi .
I can't imagine that Starmer would really nail a Swansea accent.

Must say that I’ve had the impression for some time that this Labour Party leadership ie Starmer , Reeves , Rayner and Lammy etc would be tailor made to be cast as the management of Maplins in a remake of Hi De Hi .
As a regular at Maplins (RIP Maplins) I think that's close but no quite right....howabout DFS Sofas...and its a bank holiday coming up....

Dennis Potter came out with it 30 years ago, but he surely had the future Labour leader in mind when he coined the phrase croak voiced Dalek.

Dennis Potter came out with it 30 years ago, but he surely had the future Labour leader in mind when he coined the phrase croak voiced Dalek.
When Starmer gets agitated (talking about the police or what not) he goes full dalek for sure. Hah Dennis Potter, knew his rotten onions

I'd love it if Abbott was the source of the leak and is now using the leak as a way to stand again.

No idea if she is deviously inclined like that, but it's possible. Would serve them right if they really did offer her this deal. If she now says 'yes, I'd like to stand again please', how do they say no?

This will now actively be worse than if he'd bitten the bullet one way or the other. He can't claim ruthlessness if he's saying they never took a decision, or avoid accusations of petty behaviour given how obvious it is, and he leaves himself wide open for Tories saying (correctly) "look, these people can't even manage a straightforward disciplinary let alone an economy."

Honestly surprised Starmer did that, part of his pitch is that he's decisive.

This will now actively be worse than if he'd bitten the bullet one way or the other. He can't claim ruthlessness if he's saying they never took a decision, or avoid accusations of petty behaviour given how obvious it is, and he leaves himself wide open for Tories saying (correctly) "look, these people can't even manage a straightforward disciplinary let alone an economy."

Honestly surprised Starmer did that, part of his pitch is that he's decisive.
Yep to all of that. Next to Corbyn, Abbot is probably the next in line if you want to prove that Labour has wiped out any kind of social democratic inclinations. From his shitty perspective, there would have been resistance to an early decision to ban her, but plenty of political capital. Well, I'll qualify that, not so much political capital in terms of the normal meaning of the phrase, more about wiping out Daily Mail attack lines. An entirely nasty and unprincipled line of logic, but there was a logic there, as you say.

Sorry, this has probably been cleared up before: Abbott had already been selected by her Constituency a while back. Did that get wiped out when they had the 'investigation'? If so. I'm guessing that isn't always the case for the various Labour MPs who have been accused and then 'cleared' of sexual harassment and the like. Or is it something along the lines that all previously selected candidates have to be re-confimred by the NEC once an election is called?

Sorry, this has probably been cleared up before: Abbott had already been selected by her Constituency a while back. Did that get wiped out when they had the 'investigation'? If so. I'm guessing that isn't always the case for the various Labour MPs who have been accused and then 'cleared' of sexual harassment and the like. Or is it something along the lines that all previously selected candidates have to be re-confimred by the NEC once an election is called?
Who knows. I'm sure they'll make some shit up though and then have to backtrack as that seems the way of things at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom