Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Diane Abbott suspended as Labour MP.

a reminder of the 2019 election result in Hackney North
View attachment 426292

everyone knows who Diane is and I think it is very likely she will win as an independent, even if the campaign will be a bit slow to get off the ground

Not that I don't agree with this, but Hackney has never not returned a Labour candidate. I think she could do it but nobody should be under the illusion that all those Labour votes would instantly translate into Independent votes for Abbott either.

Not that I don't agree with this, but Hackney has never not returned a Labour candidate. I think she could do it but nobody should be under the illusion that all those Labour votes would instantly translate into Independent votes for Abbott either.
They don't need to. She only needs a little over half. It would be a much reduced majority, but in comparable situations in the past (of which there are very few) such as Merthyr Tydfil 1970, up to 70% have switched.

They don't need to. She only needs a little over half. It would be a much reduced majority, but in comparable situations in the past (of which there are very few) such as Merthyr Tydfil 1970, up to 70% have switched.
Dick Taverne in Lincoln managed to get elected twice as crpto pro European Social Democrat. Firstly in a by-election he caused by resigning as an MP when Labour booted him out in 1973, and then again in the first of the two 1974 general elections.
Its all a bit odd really as we now think of Lincoln as a hotbed of Faragiste isolationism.

But that would've given her time to openly organise standing as an independent (if she wanted to). Doing it like this means if she does stand as an independent, she's on the back foot.

And publicity about it will be less than it would've been if there wasn't a GE campaign going on.

(I mean I'm sure she's been organising behind the scenes if she does want to stand but 'openly' is important in terms of getting the message out/giving her side of the story etc.)
All of this follows from their poor handling of her letter. Their denail of a hierarcy of racism flies in the face of the Forde report as well. Starmer is a terrible politician

Well, she was shadow home secretary when Labour lost their biggest election defeat since the 1930s. Not that I'd put that all on her, but I'm not going to discount it as irrelevant either.

Rayner was the Shadow Secretary of State for Education, Emily Thornbury was Shadow Foreign Secretary, Stamer was the Shadow Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union when Labour lost their biggest election defeat since the 1930s.

Rayner was the Shadow Secretary of State for Education, Emily Thornbury was Shadow Foreign Secretary, Stamer was the Shadow Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union when Labour lost their biggest election defeat since the 1930s.

Exactly. They're all now batting for Starmer's Labour who are 20 points ahead. And Abbot ain't. Do you think is she was considered to be a massive asset to Labour in this election she'd still be out in the cold? I don't think so.

Exactly. They're all now batting for Starmer's Labour who are 20 points ahead. And Abbot ain't. Do you think is she was considered to be a massive asset to Labour in this election she'd still be out in the cold? I don't think so.
There has of course been no change in the wider situation electorally, or in the political preferences of the wider swing state electorate, from 2019 to 2024. So that is a completely fair statement to make.

Personally, I think it has more to do with the colour of her skin, the fact that she talks about race and that she is left/ soft left Labour. Says a lot about the sort of 'wider swing voters' that you think Labour should be focusing on.

There has of course been no change in the wider situation electorally, or in the political preferences of the wider swing state electorate, from 2019 to 2024. So that is a completely fair statement to make.

But would you disagree, if she was considered to be useful to Labour's advantage right now she'd have been reinstated already?

Personally, I think it has more to do with the colour of her skin, the fact that she talks about race and that she is left/ soft left Labour. Says a lot about the sort of 'wider swing voters' that you think Labour should be focusing on.

I don't see any evidence of this, and I reject the implication that I think Labour should be focusing on people who are bothered by skin colour.

I don't see any evidence of this, and I reject the implication that I think Labour should be focusing on people who are bothered by skin colour.
Sorry, I re-read my last sentence and with hindsight, my comment was badly worded. However, I do stand by every part of my first sentence and I do feel that if she's disliked by these alleged swing voters then it is for those reasons .

The point is that skin colour is not just a surface label, but an indicator of the power relations endured by that individual. Thinking that you can resolve racism without paying attention to the social consequences of skin colour is what leads to tick-box DEI targets. It’s why western corporations have spent tens of not hundreds of billions of dollars on DEI over decades and achieved next to nothing for their spend.

Abbott has a valuable perspective on the social, institutional embeddedness of anti-black racism and her politics are informed by that perspective. And it’s exactly those politics that have made her persona non grata in Starmer’s Labour Party. Her skin colour is not just relevant, it’s crucial.

Well, she was shadow home secretary when Labour lost their biggest election defeat since the 1930s. Not that I'd put that all on her, but I'm not going to discount it as irrelevant either.
It is totally irrelevant. People didn't vote for Johnson because of Diane Abbott.

Last edited:
I'm sure they don't feel like they need (or want) her. That's what has led them to this highly misjudged position. I hope she is not readmitted, stands as an Indie and wins. Abbott plus Corbyn as a NE London 'real labour' rump.

Sooner or later they would probably end up letting Abbott back in, as they did with Livingstone, particularly if she takes the bulk of the local party organisation with her.

I was with you till the last sentence - starmer seems to view getting rid of lefties as disinfecting the place, not sure whether he'd want them if again once they'd betrayed him.

Sorry, I re-read my last sentence and with hindsight, my comment was badly worded. However, I do stand by every part of my first sentence and I do feel that if she's disliked by these alleged swing voters then it is for those reasons .

I get it. I know that more than any other MP, she's targeted by the absolute worst of the worst of this country regarding her race. I'm not here to discount that, but I just don't buy that that's the reason why she's been been left out of the shadow cabinet or treated differently to say Rupa Huq or Neil Coyle.

I just think she's regarded more as a liability in Starmer's vision for Labour in securing power. Not because she's black, but because of her tendancy to appear to be clueless and say dumb shit. The fact that there's no love lost between them is obviously also a factor, but I don't see any evidence to suggest that it's the 'racist swing vote' of Britain, that's the issue here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chz
Back
Top Bottom