Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Diane Abbott suspended as Labour MP.

Can't see it as all that would happen is seeking Tory etc votes which make any policy likely more rightwing...
Nothing in it for the Tories to ally with a minority Labour govt. If a hung parliament were to happen, that would exceed all Tory expectations right now. They'd be pleased, and they'd surely be doing all they could to topple the government asap, not to prop it up.

Nothing in it for the Tories to ally with a minority Labour govt. If a hung parliament were to happen, that would exceed all Tory expectations right now. They'd be pleased, and they'd surely be doing all they could to topple the government asap, not to prop it up.
A hung parliament with a coalition means the Gang of Four has very little chance of influencing anything. A hung parliament with a confidence and supply Labour government is essentially the same outcome. For the leftists of that type to have any chance of influence they'd need 30-40 MPs. And given the utter inability for the left to organise themselves properly even when they ran the party I wouldn't bet money of that working either.

In short, it's a pipe dream to think those four MPs will be the tail wagging the dog.

A hung parliament with a coalition means the Gang of Four has very little chance of influencing anything. A hung parliament with a confidence and supply Labour government is essentially the same outcome. For the leftists of that type to have any chance of influence they'd need 30-40 MPs. And given the utter inability for the left to organise themselves properly even when they ran the party I wouldn't bet money of that working either.

In short, it's a pipe dream to think those four MPs will be the tail wagging the dog.
when did leftists run the labour party? it's another pile of steaming kid eternity shit

A couple of months out, everyone was predicting that May would romp home in 2017. She expected a big majority, ended up having to throw cash at the DUP loons to cobble something together.

It's not a prediction as such from me that there could be a hung parliament. It's more a hope. I don't want Starmer to have a clear majority. He does more damage if he has one. A weak, unstable Labour govt that has to actually listen to its backbenchers and those from other parties is the best of a very, very bad set of possible options from this year's election.
Actually, there was a substantial increase in the Conservative vote in the 2017 General Election, under the leadership of May, compared the 2015 General Election under Cameron

Conservative 2015: 11,299,609 votes = 36.8%
Conservative 2017: 13,636,684 votes = 42.3%

Actually, there was a substantial increase in the Conservative vote in the 2017 General Election, under the leadership of May, compared the 2015 General Election under Cameron

Conservative 2015: 11,299,609 votes = 36.8%
Conservative 2017: 13,636,684 votes = 42.3%
Isn't that likely to be because Corbyn was standing in 2017? More left wing platform would likely bring tory voters out.

Isn't that likely to be because Corbyn was standing in 2017? More left wing platform would likely bring tory voters out.
Collapse of UKIP explains just about all of it. 12 percentage points to be shared out among the other parties, mostly going to the Tories (who had virtually turned themselves into UKIP by 2017), some to Labour. While the Tories increased their vote by 6 percentage points, Labour increased theirs by 10. Turnout was up a little, but not by much.

That the Tory vote went up isn't really relevant. In England, it had turned back into virtually a two-horse race in 2017.

May was lucky that a) the stupid system we have gave her a disproportionately high number of seats (Labour's seats were roughly proportionate), and b) the DUP were there to push them just over the line (nobody else was going to work with them). It was a desperately close-run thing.

Collapse of UKIP explains just about all of it. 12 percentage points to be shared out among the other parties, mostly going to the Tories (who had virtually turned themselves into UKIP by 2017), some to Labour. While the Tories increased their vote by 6 percentage points, Labour increased theirs by 10. Turnout was up a little, but not by much.

That the Tory vote went up isn't really relevant. In England, it had turned back into virtually a two-horse race in 2017.

May was lucky that a) the stupid system we have gave her a disproportionately high number of seats (Labour's seats were roughly proportionate), and b) the DUP were there to push them just over the line (nobody else was going to work with them). It was a desperately close-run thing.
It was the increase in the Conservative vote in some Red Wall seats under May in 2017 that the Conervatives under Johnson built on in 2019. In terms of increasing the Conservative vote, May was a success.

It was the increase in the Conservative vote in some Red Wall seats under May in 2017 that the Conervatives under Johnson built on in 2019. In terms of increasing the Conservative vote, May was a success.
I don't really buy that. Labour closed the gap from 6 percentage points in 2015 to 2 in 2017. May very very nearly blew it and lost power. Yes, the 'Red Wall' fell in 2019 due to Brexit, and May had already picked up some of those voters in 2017 because of Brexit. But I don't see that in and of itself as success.

As it was, it was Labour who blew it between 2017 and 2019. With hindsight, if they had got behind something like the Common Market 2.0 idea, I think they could have done a lot better (and Brexit would have been far less of a fuck up than it turned out to be). In the end, who even knew what Labour's Brexit plan was? I didn't. They allowed the Tories to dictate what 'real Brexit' really meant and we ended up with just about the worst Brexit we could possibly have had. We're all paying for it now.

I don't really buy that. Labour closed the gap from 6 percentage points in 2015 to 2 in 2017. May very very nearly blew it and lost power. Yes, the 'Red Wall' fell in 2019 due to Brexit, and May had already picked up some of those voters in 2017 because of Brexit. But I don't see that in and of itself as success.

As it was, it was Labour who blew it between 2017 and 2019. With hindsight, if they had got behind something like the Common Market 2.0 idea, I think they could have done a lot better (and Brexit would have been far less of a fuck up than it turned out to be). In the end, who even knew what Labour's Brexit plan was? I didn't. They allowed the Tories to dictate what 'real Brexit' really meant and we ended up with just about the worst Brexit we could possibly have had. We're all paying for it now.
How can it not be a success to increase the vote for a party? If the distribution of the votes has been different, May would have had a majority, and no-one would have said she was a failure.

Corbyn was very successful, in that the Labour Party received its largest increase in the vote share since 1945.

How can it not be a success to increase the vote for a party? If the distribution of the votes has been different, May would have had a majority, and no-one would have said she was a failure.

Corbyn was very successful, in that the Labour Party received its largest increase in the vote share since 1945.
It can be a failure to increase your vote share if another party's vote share increases more. Number of Tory MPs went down, not up.

But elections are ultimately about winning power, so while he did well, Corbyn still lost. While she did badly, May still won. Tories are still in power seven years later, after all. Fine margins.

Surprised more isn't being made of the Speakers hypocrisy...its only a couple of weeks since he bent over backwards to help Labour saying he wanted everyone to get a chance to speak on the issue of Gaza citing MPs safety concerns...

GJMpxCLXYAAk5sb.jpg

A further opportunity for Sir Keir Starmer KCB KC MP to explain his decision to suspend Diane Abbott from the parliamentary Labour Party for nearly eleven months while his officials "investigate" a two paragraph letter which was 7-8 sentences in length, following the recent news that the Conservative Party's principal financial donor has called for her assassination ...

82765973-13226713-image-m-2_1711093235694.jpg

... that's if he's not too busy campaigning about the embroidery on football shirts.

headline could be read to say Abbott will be standing in the next general election as an independent, but don't think that's what was necessarily meant.
Two stiking photos from the article - and presumably the book
1988.jpg
1936.jpg
The book is a bit beyond my normal price range but the article reads well.

headline could be read to say Abbott will be standing in the next general election as an independent, but don't think that's what was necessarily meant.
Headline would be better if she'd said "as long as my constituents want me".

Good to see some mention of the Hackney Conservative Party HQ being burned down in that:

Has anyone read the authorised biography? I should probably do that https://www.amazon.co.uk/Diane-Abbo...d=1714038500&sprefix=diane+abb,aps,350&sr=8-1

Back
Top Bottom