Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Diane Abbott suspended as Labour MP.

Speaking as someone with family connections to both of those groups, it's really not. It's just well meaning but crap academic left politics.

I can only claim one of two, but when academic left politics looks like a binfire it’s difficult to care whether it is well meaning.

Right wingers do tend to cynically simplify complex and nuanced arguments and discussion, yes.
Your not bothered by the fact you your argument as presented could be co-opted to support a racist position?

I don't necessarily think you are wrong but that does not sit right with me at all.

Genuine question. If cultural awareness isn't the whole of the issue, what is the rest of it made of?
Genuine question, how do you improve cultural awareness in a non diverse workforce?

Without material changes to our workforce, no matter how much training we get locally about cultural sensitivity, I know no one in my service has lived experience of what it's like to be, for example, a young Yemeni Welsh man in the Southern arc of my city and we know from discussions that despite documented high rates of mental distress virtually no one from that community is referred into our services, and we don't even have a shared understanding of mental ill health with many members of that community. Do you think that despite cultural awareness training like you wouldn't believe we are serving the Yemeni Welsh community effectively? Is this leading to suffering and inequality that could be avoided? Does our almost entirely white service appear legitimate and safe to many people who might need it? Does a kid going to school in the south of my city envisage a career in mental health / psychology in their future?

I think it's obvious why having a more diverse workforce is desirable in those circumstances
and let's not complicate the issue by adding in class, although they obviously overlap.

Last edited:
from a tory MP " I will defend her dignity as a person every day of the week".
As mentioned on QT last night, we must not forget Diane Abbott is a huan being.

If you dream of the Tories retaining sufficient seats for that to happen you should go easy on the cheese.
yeh this isn't 1997, shammer isn't blair. things are rather different. while it's entirely possible that the labour party will romp home, it's also feasible for the labour party to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. we've already seen there is considerable discontent among labour voters with eg shammer's line on gaza. as time goes by it is likely that his 'israel has the right' will prove to be a greater blunder even than it appears at the moment. as we have discussed at length, he has gone back on pretty much every position he has taken. he is in many ways a weaker leader than jeremy corbyn, being as he cannot really be said to stand for anything except business and the desire for power. the tory party may be an abject body of venal wankers, but they're likely to see many of their voters return to them - the real questions are how many labour voters really want five years of shammer, and how many tories think they deserve a period in opposition. all that is clear is that predictions made this far away from an election on who's going to win and what that margin might look like will be found wanting when the results come in.

A couple of months out, everyone was predicting that May would romp home in 2017. She expected a big majority, ended up having to throw cash at the DUP loons to cobble something together.

It's not a prediction as such from me that there could be a hung parliament. It's more a hope. I don't want Starmer to have a clear majority. He does more damage if he has one. A weak, unstable Labour govt that has to actually listen to its backbenchers and those from other parties is the best of a very, very bad set of possible options from this year's election.

See they're running a bit of whataboutery as Dale Vince said "one man's terrorist..." about Hamas in an interview last year. Really reaching.

Back
Top Bottom